It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

LMAOROTFL!!!

How long have you been saving the professor for something like this!!

Absolutely brilliant!! hahaha

(however you should have started it "Good News Everyone: " )

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I finally found a post of yours worthy of a star,

Congrats!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The incident -- in which two South Korean marines died -- is "the first direct artillery attack on South Korean territory since the Korean War ended in an armistice, not a formal peace treaty" in the 1950s, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported. The United States has about 28,500 troops deployed in South Korea and are warily watching the situation.

SOURCE

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Does anyone remember the problems unification had between the two Germany's when the wall came down? Now imagine it on a much larger scale.

Well, I was a bit young at the time...but what I remember is world celebration, and lots of happy germans on both side, quickly followed by germany once again becoming an economic powerhouse in europe that remains true today. (incidently, I have a piece of the berlin wall on my mantle)

I am not saying there wasn't issues...there always is...but I don't remember anything offhand that was disasterous...seems to me that it worked out fine..care to give a quick line or two of what issues your trying to mention?

And yes, China is now a sociocapitalistic society in the cities, however their rural areas are still a backwards supressed feel...they have experience in dealing with oppression and how to (if they want) upgrade them over time to be part of todays society.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

The incident -- in which two South Korean marines died -- is "the first direct artillery attack on South Korean territory since the Korean War ended in an armistice, not a formal peace treaty" in the 1950s, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported. The United States has about 28,500 troops deployed in South Korea and are warily watching the situation.

SOURCE

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

incidently, 1000 millidooms = 1 megadoom. but 1000 millidoom sounds more doomworthy

I am sorry, but I beg to differ with you. 1,000 millidooms equals one doom. One megadoom is 1,000,000 dooms.

I am still looking for a source to back it up.

edit on 23-11-2010 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
How long have you been saving the professor for something like this!!

You would be suprised how often the doom meter goes off on ATS...

needs a new measurement method

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This is a distraction for us common folk. Like some other posters have commented, we should be watching our very own backyards.... especially here in the U.S. Slide of hand has worked so well for them in the past.

I'd say keep and eye on this 'story' while keeping both eyes on your back.

And the most important thing through all of the crap we are headed for, is to have NO FEAR.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This is like how india and pakistan always fire at each other.

I wonder how many times that has happened.

Chronicle all the times northa nd south korea has fired at each other, and how long it lasted. Someone got a list?

Like when india and pakistan fire at each other, wars about to break out, and although south is at fault, some how we all blame the north lol, as they are poor and not on americas side, lol.
edit on 11/23/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This just seems to be another in the long line of attacks these two have had over the years, could it get worse, could it spiral out of control, yes. N. Korea is walking a fine line, not so much with us and the ROK, but with China, China has so many economic ties now with the South it is thier best interest to have the South not the North exist. Chinas leaders recognise this, the times have changed, china isnt the closed door sociaty it was, now its a world leader, with economic ties globaley and regionaly that far superseed the relationship it has with the North. The relationship of China and the PRK is now more of a destitute homeless drunk with delusions of grander begging for handouts from the owner of the neighborhood. China doesnt fear capitalism the way it used to, now that they engage in it so well, they have nothing to fear from anything involving the ROK, and they know it, they probably fear PRK worse now, they could interfear with buisness with thier little games. Watch China, the reaction might come from them, no not military, but i have to think they are getting sick of the games the PRK is playing with their trading partner ROK. Just my thought on this.

For those who dont know
ROK= Republic of Korea aka The South
PRK= Peoples Republic of Korea aka The North

link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Well if china do start make some unexpected moves against north Korea it will go some way to validate what I have said. I am not however going to tell you how I know this or the exact nature of the information I have other than to say china are not going to be the guardian angles of north Korea

lol, oh I am not saying your wrong.
I'm just saying it's an unexpected
change of stance from China.

link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

incidently, 1000 millidooms = 1 megadoom. but 1000 millidoom sounds more doomworthy

I am sorry, but I beg to differ with you. 1,000 millidooms equals one doom. One megadoom is 1,000,000 dooms.

I am still looking for a source to back it up.

edit on 23-11-2010 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

depends on if your using the european doom measurement or the american doom measurement...there is a difference you know!
this is actually a korean doom unit system, which sort of confuses me...they loosely translate into 10 oh noe's particles per millidoom

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Old school definition?

Rockets have been used as artillery long before howitzers, like the South Korean Hwacha developed in the 1400s. The first howitzers were built in Sweden in the 1600s.

The first metal cased rocket artillery was used in India in the 1700s.

Plus don't forget the part in our national anthem, "The Rockets Red Glare"

Rocket artillery in the US Army has been and is a Field Artillery MOS.

link   
reply to post by andy1033

SOURCE

link   

Originally posted by Komodo
reply to post by Komodo

WHOA ~~!!!!

www.cnn.com...

South Korea's president called on his military forces to use "action" and not talk to punish North Korea for deadly artillery attacks on Tuesday, but international diplomats appealed for restraint. FULL STORY l KOREA Q&A

Whoa is right....just when I thought this was calming down...

SK leader: Military should 'retaliate' against NK 'provocation'

From the Link:

SK leader: Military should 'retaliate' against NK 'provocation'

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- Hours after North Korea's deadly artillery attacks on Tuesday, South Korea's president said "enormous retaliation" is needed to stop Pyongyang's incitement, but international diplomats urgently appealed for restraint.

"The provocation this time can be regarded as an invasion of South Korean territory," President Lee Myung-bak said at the headquarters of the Joint Chiefs of Staff here, according to South Korea's Yonhap news agency.

Calling the act a "very serious provocation," Scott Snyder, director of the Center for U.S.-Korea Policy, the Asia Foundation, said the incident was "unprecedented in recent years [at least since the 1970s if not longer] in terms of artillery beyond the DMZ into civilian areas."

Along with the slain marines, 15 South Korean soldiers and three civilians were wounded when the North fired about 100 rounds of artillery at Yeonpyeong Island in the Yellow Sea, South Korea authorities. The attack also set houses and forests on fire on the island.

South Korea's military responded with more than 80 rounds of artillery and deployed fighter jets to counter the fire, defense officials said.

Firing between the two sides lasted for about an hour in the Yellow Sea, a longstanding flash point between the two Koreas. In March, a South Korean warship, the Cheonan, was sunk in the area with the loss of 46 lives in a suspected North Korean torpedo attack.

Lee called "indiscriminate attacks on civilians are a grave matter." He said that since "North Korea maintains an offensive posture, South Korea's military forces -- the army, air force and navy -- "should unite and retaliate against [the North's] provocation with multiple-fold firepower."

"Reckless attacks on South Korean civilians are not tolerable, especially when South Korea is providing North Korea with humanitarian aid," Lee said, according to Yonhap.

"As for such attacks on civilians, a response beyond the rule of engagement is necessary. Our military should show this through action rather than an administrative response" such as statements or talks, he said.

More

Meanwhile...

Obama to speak to South Korea's Lee after attack

From the Link:

Obama to speak to South Korea's Lee after attack

Source: Reuters
ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE, Nov 23 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama will speak to South Korean President Lee Myung-bak after an artillery attack by the North on a South Korean island, White House spokesman Bill Burton said on Tuesday.

Obama believes the North is not living up to its obligations, Burton said.

(Reporting by Caren Bohan; writing by Jeff Mason and Steve Holland, Editing by Sandra Maler)

That report from Reuters about Obama planning to speak to South Korea's leader came from aboard Air Force One.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

WORLD WAR 3 has begun hide your kids...hide your wife.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
For all people who keep saying "there is no reason for war", I say this: war is not ONLY an act of destruction.

War can be as good for economics (since so many people in here seem to want to show knowledge about world economics) as demolishing a old building to build a new skyscraper.

The same thing can happen with the economy. It's better to level everything out, than actually trying to fix it over and over again. It's like sending your car to be recycled and then buy a new one, because it's cheaper to do that, than to keep solving problems as they appear.

Have you looked at the world economy recently? Problems keep appearing, from nowhere, from everywhere. Some predicted, some weren't even in the wildest dreams.

Is that so much of an imagination stretch to think that maybe the world leaders are preparing to pull the plug out of this economic model? I don't think so.

For instance, in my country, when there was a huge earthquake(the worst we ever had), and our major city was completely destroyed, after that the economy raised from the ashes. Why? Because it was a fresh start. Because of that, a city that was once medieval, turned to be a center of development to the whole europe. Roads and avenues that were too small for development, after the earthquake were planned looking at the future. Some of them are even working with modern traffic standards...This was 1755.

But if you still think that it's something that makes no sense, just look at WWII. Does anyone here ever heard of the Marshall Plan? Provably not, but maybe the european members have learned about it in school, since it was pretty much aimed at Europe.

Wikipedia - Marshall Plan

By 1952 as the funding ended, the economy of every participant state had surpassed pre-war levels; for all Marshall plan recipients, output in 1951 was 35% higher than in 1938.[6] Over the next two decades, Western Europe enjoyed unprecedented growth and prosperity(...)

I'm sorry, but I've to ask:

Why is it so outlandish to think that maybe, just maybe, China or the US want a global war? You're just focussing on the down side, the loss and the risk of losing.

Well, if you are a bit familiar with investments, sometime you have to risk to gain, and most times, you have to loose before you gain.

I don't think it's that impossible to imagine that China wants to overthrown the US out of the league and become the world leader (you know, like the US was after WWII). And I don't think it's also that much of a stretch to assume that maybe the US wants to pull the act again, of rebooting the world with destruction.

Being very cold and analytic, there are actually good things associated with war, during and after. Many countries are struggling to keep up with their own demographics. A World War would clean out most of the population. To many people (maybe too many) that's actually a good thing.

Please remember history, so it doesn't repeat itself. But in case it does, just look at the world, and it's past. It isn't all that rare that major events change the world, and many times, someone benefits hugely from it.
edit on 23/11/10 by Tifozi because: added content

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

yea.. a small side point.. so move along and stay on topic.. give a little mercy for a Vet.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2nd ..

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Pharyax

And expose South Korea, your ALLIES to nuclear fallout for decades. Yup, that makes perfect sense.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Related Article: Militarized States
Sub: The rising power of generals within the governments of Asia is fueling the regionwide arms race.

Asia’s nations are spending on weapons in part because older arms are becoming obsolete, and many countries did not replace them during the Asian financial crisis of the late 1990s and early 2000s. But there is another, far more disturbing reason for the arms race: some of the region’s historically most unstable and aggressive states are remilitarizing, handing their armed forces unprecedented amounts of power. And as countries like Pakistan, China, and North Korea remilitarize, the region’s democratic states feel forced to do the same.

As many of us had feared, we have entered into a Cold War.

Now, we wait and see what Russia and Iran do next. North Korea is the start of the show.

edit on 23-11-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join