It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
God help the MSM. Dancing with the Stars and the TSA scandal is still grabbing the headlines, while this is hidden elsewhere.

I am amazed that South Korea is trying to prevent further escalation. How much of North Korea's aggression can they take?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Is that true that this happens all the time?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The worst case scenario, China comes in with North Korea and takes over SKorea while Obama is trying to talk.

Of course this will most likely NOT happen....

In another scenario involving China... China could invade North Korea and take out Kim Jong Il and annex NKorea. One of their contingencies plan calls just for that in case Kim went crazy.... maybe this is the time to do it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dachende
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The cross border incidents have been going on for far more than the last year. The majority of newspapers/media outlets don't report 90% of the incidents that happen cross-border , solely because nothing else ever comes of it.

It's the rare occasion the mainstream media reports on an incident that people get all worked up and expect the end of the world.

N Korea is no pushover like iraq / afghanistan, if provoked enough, they will resort to dirty warfare. Why do you think they haven't been invaded already ?

One word...

China

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Is that true that this happens all the time?

No it isn't...

South Korea has issued its highest non-wartime alert in response.

A BBC correspondent says this is one of the most serious incidents between the two Koreas since the end of the war.

Top leaders are meeting in an underground bunker in Seoul over the incident, Reuters news agency reported.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Yahoo.com's news is just now reporting this. The article was made 19 minutes ago.

Article

"People are frightened to death and shelling continues as we speak," the witness said.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I think the words you were looking for there were Nuclear Weapons , not China.

edit on 23/11/2010 by Dachende because:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

N Korea has the 4th largest standing army in the world. China's is #1. America's is #2/#3. Economically China is superior to the US but NATO I think has the potential to balance the power in any conflict now more so than ever before.

Have to also take into account Japan, Russia, India, Pakistan (maybe even the Bahamas).

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

From your link:

The attack comes just as a U.S. envoy is travelling to the region after revelations that the North is moving ahead with uranium enrichment, a possible second path to manufacture material for atomic weaUSpons.

An interesting typo on the atomic "weapon"

US envoy rushes to Asia amid signs of North Korea's fresh nuclear activity

www.ibtimes.com...
edit on 23-11-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
A few of the latest news...

- China calls for calm... funny that when THEIR PUPPET NKorea starts the trouble!

- According to CNN international, SKorea is trying to calm down tensions... is it me or if they do, they gonna get their behind kicked at the next election?
- 14 South Korean soldiers hurt, 4 seriously;
- Witness says residents fleeing S.Korean island by fishing boats - YTN
- 1 soldiers confirmed dead so far
edit on 23-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Ugh, really? And I was just about to go to bed and then all this comes about. Hopefully no horrors will come of this but considering the need to gain some power for the son I still don't see a reason for this.

AND I HOPE TO EVERYTHING THAT THE USA DOES NOTHING ABOUT THIS. Let China and Japan deal with it, America has its own problems.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Same story, different day.

" - "Regarding the North Korean attack on Yeonpyeong Island, Blue House spokesperson Kim Hee Jung revealed, “We received a message of complaint from North Korea via telephone today about the Hokuk (national security) Practice." Hokuk Practice is a South Korean combined military exercise.

The spokesperson said that the Blue House is therefore examining whether the attack was in response to the practice.

President Lee Myung Bak has summoned an emergency security meeting with ministers.

The President told the meeting, “We must carefully monitor events in order to avoid expanding the battle any further, and make assurances to avoid harming residents.” - "

Source - www.dailynk.com...

Seems to me like the same old rhetoric from both the north and the south regarding this "incident"

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
A few of the latest news...

- China calls for calm... funny that when THEIR PUPPET NKorea starts the trouble!

- According to CNN international, SKorea is trying to calm down tensions... is it me or if they do, they gonna get their behind kicked at the next election?
- 14 South Korean soldiers hurt, 4 seriously;
- Witness says residents fleeing S.Korean island by fishing boats - YTN
- 1 confirmed dead so far

Asian stocks tank on shelling

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
So no biggie? Nothing to worry about I can now go peacefully to bed?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBloodRed
Ugh, really? And I was just about to go to bed and then all this comes about. Hopefully no horrors will come of this but considering the need to gain some power for the son I still don't see a reason for this.

AND I HOPE TO EVERYTHING THAT THE USA DOES NOTHING ABOUT THIS. Let China and Japan deal with it, America has its own problems.

Coward, I'd risk my life to defend S. Korea. You know why? Because they value the same principles as us, same with the Japanese. You don't befriend someone and stab them in the back when they need your help. I'm sure they would come to our aid if we were attacked. What makes you think N. Korea won't stop at S. Korea and Japan.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
So no biggie? Nothing to worry about I can now go peacefully to bed?

Unless you live in Korea

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

That is what raises my eyebrows is all the provocation such as previous shelling, the sinking of the SK warship and many other skirmishes, what grips this one is the damage in a populated civilian area.

Regardless, the same rhetoric and usual surprising lack of action is the likely course based on all previous exchanges... so that keeps me hopeful that this won't explode into full war.

SK knows it has everything to lose if it does, this isn't a win/win war, it will be devastating for that region. No good will come of war period, both sides lose big.

It will really hurt the World of Warcraft gold economy if war does break out!

edit on 23-11-2010 by YouAreDreaming because: Lame WOW joke.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Several killed, others hurt after North Korea attacks South Korean island

This article is saying that "several" have been killed.

Thick plumes of black smoke were rising from a South Korean island on Tuesday afternoon after an unexpected attack by North Korea, killing several people.

The Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) reported that at least several people had been killed in the attack, while the South Korean Yonhap news agency reported that at least 14 South Korean soldiers had been injured, including four who were seriously injured. At least four civilians were also injured.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
If China wants things to calm down they will. NK can be pretty silly at times but they wouldn't upset China for anything as breaking that link would give a green light to anyone who wants to get in there and depose KJI. At this stage, judging from what SK and China have said things will probably simmer down again unless the entire leadership of NK have completely lost their minds and will to live... which is unlikely.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33

Originally posted by TheBloodRed

Coward, I'd risk my life to defend S. Korea. You know why? Because they value the same principles as us, same with the Japanese. You don't befriend someone and stab them in the back when they need your help. I'm sure they would come to our aid if we were attacked. What makes you think N. Korea won't stop at S. Korea and Japan.

You know why? Because they value the same principles as us, same with the Japanese.

Thats just because we gave them those principles, and with the Japanese its a different story they aren't happy that the American government is controlling there politics and there way of life.

You don't befriend someone and stab them in the back when they need your help

America has over 700 or more can you count how many does russia have or north korea have around the world?
the less bases you have the more respect you will gain.

Coward, I'd risk my life to defend S. Korea.

I wouldn't not.

edit on 23-11-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join