It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by Resurrectio
reply to post by oozyism

Oozy.. Pick an appropriate thread... You do this to every thread you enter. You derail the topic with your garbage. You may have valid points on some issues... But they DO NOT corrolate with this topic. I am glad that everyone is seeing you for what you are.

Stay on topic for ONCE!!! this is about NK & SK shelling each other.. Just because you throw in the word "proxy" then switch to China/ US relations, does not mean you are on topic..

You are on Oozy topic.. Every one of your posts revert back to US and what you think... Haven't you figured it out.. Nobody cares what you think.

The previous poster is spot on.. You deffinetly ressemble a troll, more so than a contributing member. Just Sayin!

Actually, I have to sort of defend his position (which makes me feel a bit dirty..not a fan, but meh).
This is a bit bigger than just a couple small nations...if NK and SK drop the gloves and go at each other, America has to defend SK...and china has to defend NK...now, hopefully if things get really bad, we can negotiate direct with china and have china put the thumb down on NK...however, if it hits that tipping point, things could become tense between US and China simply for the stake we have

China doesn't want a war..proxy or not..however, the NK thing could force its hand if they can't control their retarded cousin.

I reckon it will tone down in a bit...I don't see this going out of control..but who knows.

the US condemned the action...that should teach em.

YOUR WRONG china does NOT have to protect North Korea.... Will they or would they you never know but they do not HAVE to protect them and they wont since they keep warning north korea to chill and they wont listen... CHINA is not going to have their WHOLE new age economy DESTROYED for a bunch of idiots hell bent of being stupid. China is not dumb enough to go down with that ship get real.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
My guess is that NK is using SK's military exercises as an excuse to demonstrate how bat sh*t crazy they are in order to hang on to their recently exposed nuclear program as a bargaining chip. This seems to be a pattern for them.

The only trouble with all of this is that someone will make a mistake and the situation will explode into all out war.

I have been trying to figure out if it is beneficial for China to have a crazy friend?? In order to manipulate world conditions. Is China in control here??

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
May I know if these two countries have always been like this, then why is it being speculated by many as beginning of WWIII? What are the signs?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
told ya this was not artillery !!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a5dceef3186a.jpg[/atsimg]

If the news reports are saying it is artillery
and it is indeed rockets, then they are lying.
Artillery shells are not rockets.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
NK: Hey guys, good show today, we got everyone looking at us again.
SK: Yea, we sure did. Hey Boss, howd we do? Was that enough to distract your people.
US: Yea for now but next time both of you launch some planes and have an aerial stand off as well. Also, its always NK making the threats of turning Seoul into a sea of fire, lets have SK make some outlandish threats this time around.
NK: Hey SK, Sorry about the two marines that died, ill send some riceballs as compensation.
SK: HAHAHA, nobody died, i went off-script a bit for some added drama.
US,NK: NICE.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The video was calling it rockets boon dock... Some news was calling them morter fire, let me get some different links. They are calling the *ammunition used*??? different things,

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
... have you noticed how everytime the US p*sses them off, the NK start some crap?

I have to admit that unleashing the "little gargoyle" would definitely tie up some of our assets. The US military can chew gum and walk, but how many war fronts can the US really afford? Our economy is weak and our Government is almost bankrupt.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Hmmm.... Obama & Biden were just over there, what... last week? Could this have been planned by the US?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Update from the BBC:

1511: Zhang Liangui, a North Korea expert at the Central Party School in Beijing, tells the Sydney Morning Herald that the North Korean heir apparent, Kim Jong-un, is deliberately destabilising the environment in order to mobilise the military and consolidate his power. He says the North also wants concessions from the South and to be acknowledged internationally as a nuclear state.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
How about showing us a picture without that "projectile" in the shot.
Right now it looks like a part of that tree, or pole, or anything else but a rocket.
I would be also just amazed that the crappy CCTV could snag the "projectile" in the first place,

All of this will be treated much like the ship sinking incident, if....NK doesn't fire another shot.

That is the only thing I am interested in at this moment. Will they fire another shot.

((((I saw the picture on CNN...yep...you can see the projectile coming into the shot.))))
edit on 23-11-2010 by Res Ipsa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Update 15:15 GMT:

1511: Zhang Liangui, a North Korea expert at the Central Party School in Beijing, tells the Sydney Morning Herald that the North Korean heir apparent, Kim Jong-un, is deliberately destabilising the environment in order to mobilise the military and consolidate his power. He says the North also wants concessions from the South and to be acknowledged internationally as a nuclear state.

1459: A candlelight vigil is being held in Seoul for the two South Korean soldiers killed in the clashes.

1454: The Guardian newspaper has used a 2007 report by the US Congressional Research Service, to map out the 150 military incidents which have occurred between North and South Korea since 1958.
North Korea v South Korea: every incident mapped

1445: Choi Jin-wook, a North Korea expert at the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul, tells the New York Times that the incident is a "sign of North Korea's increasing frustration" at the US government's refusal to remove sanctions. "Washington has turned a deaf ear to Pyongyang and North Korea is saying, 'Look here. We're still alive. We can cause trouble. You can't ignore us,'" he says. North Korea's most urgent priority is food aid, he adds.

1433: The South Korean unification ministry has said the country's Red Cross has "indefinitely" postponed a meeting with North Korean officials scheduled for Thursday on further reunions between family members separated since the Korean War. The ministry is also "reviewing the security situation" for South Korean workers at the Kaesong Industrial Park, a jointly operated facility in North Korea.

1427: Chung Min-lee, a South Korean foreign ministry expert, says he does not foresee the clashes escalating into a major war. "But if North Korea decides they want to push us a little bit further back by additional attacks on our territory, then we will respond militarily, including the possibility of taking out their artillery sites with our aircraft," he tells the Reuters news agency. "All eyes are firmly on ensuring that further escalation doesn't take place."

1423: Joseph Bolanos in New York City says: "North Korea continues to exhibit its military prowess with little or no consequence from the global community. As long as it fears no consequence to its warmongering, North Korea will continue to escalate its military taunts, at the risk and threat to innocent South Koreans and countries in the region."
Send us your comments

1419: The New York Times reports that the South Korean Deputy Minister of Defence, Lee Yong-geul, has now acknowledged that artillery units were firing test shots on Tuesday afternoon close to the North Korean coast, from a battery on the South Korean island of Paeknyeongdo. But he denied that the shots crossed the disputed maritime border with North Korea.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
The video was calling it rockets boon dock... Some news was calling them morter fire, let me get some different links. They are calling the *ammunition used*??? different things,

the 2 articles I read and the video I got that grab from
all claim it was artillery. It's not. It's a rocket.
I'm trying to find out if it's a NK rocket or a US
rocket. These type rockets can be fired from
US Navy Destroyers too.
There is no plume on this rocket. So it was in
freefall after burnout.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo3
Hmmm.... Obama & Biden were just over there, what... last week? Could this have been planned by the US?

Considering NK and SK never signed a peace treaty and tension has been severe since the 1950s...no, I'd have to say this was not planned by the US and it's actually not surprising that NK threw some rockets at a SK island.

I doubt anything will come from this...just more complaints from SK to the UN. However, NK promises more attacks...so I guess time will tell.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

So essentially this provocation is for internal consumption. It has now happened and the SK gov't responded with more harsh words.

- Kim Jong Un will consolidate his hold on the reigns of the military and will most likely get concessions from the rest of the world (i.e. food for the starving people). Then all will go back to status quo.

My 2 cents.

Obs out

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Actually 2 are reported killed..

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
1419: The New York Times reports that the South Korean Deputy Minister of Defence, Lee Yong-geul, has now acknowledged that artillery units were firing test shots on Tuesday afternoon close to the North Korean coast, from a battery on the South Korean island of Paeknyeongdo. But he denied that the shots crossed the disputed maritime border with North Korea.

Guess the north didn't fire the first shot afterall.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
told ya this was not artillery !!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a5dceef3186a.jpg[/atsimg]

If the news reports are saying it is artillery
and it is indeed rockets, then they are lying.
Artillery shells are not rockets.

And...what's your point?
Artillery is still the correct word to describe it, ever heard of rocket artillery?

link   
South Korea says there may be North Korean casualties

From the Link:

South Korea says there may be North Korean casualties

SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korea says there could be a considerable number of North Korean casualties, from its response to North Korea's shelling of an island near their disputed border today.

The shelling killed at least two South Korean marines, and set dozens of buildings on fire on an island where there is a small civilian population living alongside military installations.

South Korea returned fire and sent up fighter jets in response.

The shelling followed a North Korean demand that South Korea stop its military exercises on the island. The South refused.

North Korea's supreme military command is warning of more strikes if the South makes even the smallest incursion over their maritime border.

The clash marked a sharp escalation of the skirmishes that flare up along the disputed border from time to time. It comes amid high tensions over North Korea's claim that it has a new uranium enrichment facility.

Link

While there have been South Korean deaths and injuries today, let's bear in mind there may be North Korean deaths and injuries as well.

In essence, we are wondering if South Korea will retaliate for the bombardments that have maimed and killed and caused damage.....we should wonder whether the North Koreans will retaliate for the bombardment they received which may have killed and maimed North Korean citizens and caused damage.

North Korea fired 200 shells.....South Korea fired back 80....good chance of blood being spilt on both sides as a result.

The next 24 hours are critical, as others have said.

LIVE: Korean crisis

From the Link:

1433: The South Korean unification ministry has said the country's Red Cross has "indefinitely" postponed a meeting with North Korean officials scheduled for Thursday on further reunions between family members separated since the Korean War. The ministry is also "reviewing the security situation" for South Korean workers at the Kaesong Industrial Park, a jointly operated facility in North Korea.

More

As somebody said a few pages ago, if there's a pullout at Kaesong, then we may have even more cause for concern.

link   
reply to post by observer

I'm not sure, I think is the start of something much bigger. The military exercises will continue tomorrow by South Korea, so we have the potential for more incidents - plus the South have promised to retaliate.

Going to be quite a few itchy fingers on the borders...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by inbound
They better evacuate Seoul first, SK really doesnt want to see what the north will do within minutes to Seoul, let alone hours. With the largest artillery force in the world aimed at your capital- tread lightly and think about your next move carefully. The north would never win a sustained battle, but the initial damage would be hard to put in words
I believe that this is the most accurate assessment thus far of what COULD happen.

It would be very ugly for both sides. Star on your post.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join