It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
If it SHOWS SIGNS of additional provocation... basically... even if NKorea does NOTHING and just APPEARS that they MIGHT do something, SKorea will strike?

Or am I reading this wrong?

Yes, but those signs have to be considerable.
They will be watching NK like a hawk at the moment, and if they so much as look like they are preparing anything in any of their known military locations SK will probably take it out and go from there.

I believe this is now down to NK. If they put a foot wrong now it could very dramatically increase to all-out war. But I don't think they will. It seems like NK are always after attention when their aid runs out.

As with most other events, this could be nothing more than another begging round for NK. But it is worrying that the scenario seems to become more extreme each time they want the worlds attention.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by fltcui

South Korea should continue military exercises in the region.

NATO is apparently on alert.

Lots of fighter jets flying over Northampton in the UK this last hour or so, definately unusual over here!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
You all can believe me or not, I really don't care either way, but this isn't very shocking and until it actually escalates, I don't believe it's going to.

The DPRK and the ROK do these little dances several times a year, every year. In many of them, soldiers from both sides, and sometimes civilians, are killed by enemy fire. This news really isn't as surprising as it may sound.

I lived in Uijongbu, ROK from December 1996 through December 1997. During that year, there were 3 different situations when fire was exchanged between the two border countries. The bloodiest of those left 7 ROK soldiers and 14 DPRK soldiers dead.

Now, if the South destroys the freedom bridge in Panmunjom, then you need to worry. Until then, just give it a couple days and it'll likely blow over as it always does.

link   
reply to post by luchini33334

The reason it's not big news is because it is not big news, these guys are at each others throats all the time..
No way would the un and most civilised nations on earth allow this to happen.. There is far to much to lose, for everyone concerned..

link   
reply to post by minkey53

It beats all out nuclear war. Your argument about the cheating wife is not even close to this situation. Look back at history and you will see that this incident will have disappeared by tomorrow. China will step in as the big brother and food supplies/aid will once again flow into NK.

Again, sorry to disappoint those seeking nuclear war but it just ain't a happening.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

No they haven't. Fact is, they don't do training in the afternoon because they are too tired BECAUSE THEY DON'T EAT ENOUGH.

And you're supposed to be an expert on North Korea? Really?

Link or you're wrong, that's how it works around here isn't it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

ACCORDING TO TWITTER SHELLING HAVE RESTARTED...

If this is true, prepare for war for real this time.

Really?

Have you got the tweet?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

It's not related.

Northamptonshire can continue as normal

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Because nuclear retaliation is the most logical and only response to small dispute.

If it gets any worse when I wake up tomorrow, then I may be worried.

link   

Originally posted by FreeSafety
You all can believe me or not, I really don't care either way, but this isn't very shocking and until it actually escalates, I don't believe it's going to.

The DPRK and the ROK do these little dances several times a year, every year. In many of them, soldiers from both sides, and sometimes civilians, are killed by enemy fire. This news really isn't as surprising as it may sound.

I lived in Uijongbu, ROK from December 1996 through December 1997. During that year, there were 3 different situations when fire was exchanged between the two border countries. The bloodiest of those left 7 ROK soldiers and 14 DPRK soldiers dead.

Now, if the South destroys the freedom bridge in Panmunjom, then you need to worry. Until then, just give it a couple days and it'll likely blow over as it always does.

I'm glad someone on here has some sense!!

link   
reply to post by infinite

I don't think anyone will use nukes, unless NK uses them. Even then I'm not sure we would. Carpet bombing with fuel air explosives and thermobaric weapons is more likely.

People forget the firebombing of Tokyo was in fact worse than the nuking of Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

look, i'm not doubting you but look at it like this,

china has life or death over nk.

but then do they? that is what you seem to say.

they don't, so nk is rogue. right?

china will 86 them by themselves, "see the rabbit lenny?"

china does not want war.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
OH GOD, ITS STARTING!!!!

FINALLY!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
North Korea drops BOMB on Souith!!!?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Well here it is.

North Korean dissident plots revolution in London

It would not be surprising for rumblings of discontent to spread to the military as it is not immune to food shortages. Kim says troops do not undergo physical training in the afternoon because they are too hungry. The World Food Programme says 6.2 million out of North Korea's population of 23 million need food aid, but it is only able to reach 1.5 million, mainly young children and women, because of lack of funds.

See?
edit on 23-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

It seems it was from a prankster. Nice uh?

I think I'm gonna ban Tweeter from my internet.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

china does not want war.

But it does want NKorea on its border rather than a unified US leaning Korea, that is why NKorea exists to this date.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

All that would do is kill a bunch of senior citizens and peasants. The military would turtle underground.

We would have to use bunker busters, and even then it would not be a foregone conclusion that we would get anything useful. They have been preparing to be nuked for half a century, you know, and the reason the peasants (ie the non-military citizens of North Korea) are starving and have no electricity is because all resources are bent on tunneling, creating underground factories and power plants, and stockpiling resources.

We'd basically have to cut into thousands of different facilities and manually inspect them in order to ascertain whether or not "we got 'em." This would be difficult to impossible, at least without conscription. Even then it'd be really, really hairy.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I sure hope that this will not escalate any further. But by judging form all the provocations that happened in the past it´s just building up the tension.

In my Country we have an old saying. If you want to know the future, then look in the past.

Korean Armistice Agreement

The 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice, with neither side able to claim outright victory. Fifty years on, the truce is still all that technically prevents North Korea and the US - along with its ally South Korea - resuming the war, as no peace treaty has ever been signed. Both sides regularly accuse the other of violating the agreement, but the accusations have become more frequent as tensions rise over North Korea's nuclear programme.

North Korea threatens to end armistice over US build-upwritten on Tuesday 18 February 2003

North Korea yesterday threatened to abandon the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean war, accusing the United States of plotting a pre-emptive attack on the communist state. A spokesman of the North's Korean People's Army said that the US was building up reinforcements around the Korean peninsula in preparations to attack the North, said the North's official news agency KCNA.

South Korea Threatens War If North Korea Makes One More Provocationwritten on May 23, 2010

South Korea's Lee Myung-bak announced his retaliation plan for the attack on the Cheonan this morning in Seoul. Although restrained like he has been for the past two months, the president finally referred to the possibility of war: "If our territorial waters, airspace or territory are militarily violated, we will immediately exercise our right of self-defense." Moving from "passive defense to proactive deterrence" is a significant shift for a country that seems to get pushed around by North Korea every year. Just this month South Korea fired warning shots when North Korean ships ventured across the border.

US Often Weighed North Korea Nuke Optionwritten on October 10, 2010

Yoshiki Mine of Japan's Canon Institute for Global Studies, who as a diplomat dealt with both disarmament and North Korea, said the northern regime feels its existence as a nation is threatened.

North Korea fires on South Korea , killing 2 and injuring more than a dozenwritten on November 23, 2010 -- Updated 1154 GMT

North Korea fired artillery toward its tense western sea border with South Korea on Tuesday, killing two South Korean marines, the South's Defense Ministry said.

I really hope, that will not escalate more.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Oh My God! Let's hope things do not get worse, else it'll be the end of peace!

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join