It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I just got this off Twitter-Reuters Flash-South Korea has warned of stronger response if North continues provocations

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Small picture on Korea Times site:

www.koreatimes.co.kr...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Developing Story: South Korean fighter jet deployed to west coast island after shelling; at least 200 shells hit island: report

www.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Several South Korean civilians and soldiers were wounded and many others were being evacuated to bunkers on an island hit by dozens of artillery shells fired by North Korea on Tuesday, a Seoul television reported.

Wow... just wow. I didn't realize it was around 200 shells... that is quite a lot.

edit on 23-11-2010 by YouAreDreaming because: Again with the edits, I know...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I was about to go to sleep, 2 AM EST here, but looks like I may have to stay up for awhile. Part of me wants to believe that the greater forces involved will not want this to escalate, so perhaps this will die down soon. Koreans are a different breed though.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It was just on as a 3 second mention at the end of the nightly news (10) here in Australia.

They are usually tabloid news so for them to mention it so soon says something to me.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

The damage is pretty spread out in that picture! This is going to be bad and holds a potentially scary outcome.

I don't see how either side could hold out from full-scale declarations of war at this point (technically the Koreans are not at peace anyway). N Korea can't just attack homes and stop, expecting everything to be dandy, and S.Korea can't take anymore BS from that little guy in the North.

The key part of this story will be how the world's MAJOR powers react.

edit on 23-11-2010 by Portugoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Irish News

N Korea fires missiles at South

North Korea has fired a number of missiles at its southern neighbour, according to reports. A number of South Korean soldiers are reported to have been injured in the barrage.

Reporting missiles on this news post... now I have to wonder are they just wrong, or were NK missiles and artillery both used in this attack?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I heard cnn and fox news has this live as breaking news right now, not sure of what all is being said though. This # could turn out bad becuase of chinas strong connection to north korea.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Go back through the last few years and you will see incidents much much worse than this, and none of those provoked outright war.

Everytime N korea shoots a bullet into s korea this forum erupts with people predicting WW III .

In the grand scheme of things, a sparsely populated island being shelled isn't enough to provoke a war, when nuclear weapons are involved. It would take A LOT more than this .

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Quick research shows that they have traded blows on this island in the past. That may just be whistling in the dark...In the past there was not this new nuclear facility as an issue.

I seriously would love to see someone put a smart bomb up Kim's butt.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
This was just released 2 hours ago!

Focus shifts to China as North Korea tensions escalate

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:46am EST

BEIJING (Reuters) - China's tight bond with North Korea faced mounting pressure with the arrival on Tuesday of a U.S. envoy as Washington urges Beijing to use its influence over Pyongyang to curb its nuclear weapons ambitions.

^^Just before or around the time of the attack. So the US is talking to China about N Korea TODAY and this happens.
...awkward.

www.reuters.com...

edit on 23-11-2010 by Portugoal because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2010 by Portugoal because: fix link

link   

S.KOREA TOP PRESIDENTIAL AIDES MEETING IN UNDERGROUND BUNKER AT PRESIDENTIAL COMPOUND -OFFICIAL

Not a good sign.

link   
reply to post by Dachende

Because of so many troops being sent there. Because of the way north korea is handling things now. Reports show that 4 soldiers were injured. China and United States tension right now. Emergency meetings are being held right now. We will just have to wait and see.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Two larger pictures on this site:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Looks pretty significant for damage, this could be much more then a spark...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korea says it has scrambled F-16 fighter jets and returned fire after North Korea shot dozens of rounds of artillery onto a populated South Korean island near the countries' western border.

South Korea's YTN television says two people were injured, several houses were on fire and that shells were still falling on Yeonpyeong island. Yonhap news agency, quoting a military official, says four soldiers are wounded. The reports couldn't be immediately verified.

Article

This article says shells are still falling. F-16s have been scrambled. Unkown how many jets yet.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

How many times in the last year were several south korean soldiers injured and 200 shells hit actual buildings?

That I'd like to know

Oh looknwht BBC reports

South Korea has issued its highest non-wartime alert in response.

A BBC correspondent says this is one of the most serious incidents between the two Koreas since the end of the war.

Top leaders are meeting in an underground bunker in Seoul over the incident, Reuters news agency reported.

edit on 23-11-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Remember everyone if war a does break out Japan will serve as a resupply zone for the amercians & allies, looks like those crazy elites are actually willing to start a war with North Korea and China Good god my theories were right all along

And when russia sees that america is attacking North korea, russia will use the moment to release its full force of liberating eupore from European union and well hunting war criminals of NATO.

OH and also Homefront the video game does predict a north korean invasion
www.youtube.com...

edit on 23-11-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I wonder how the DMZ is looking at this time. I'm sure it will turn into a MZ shortly, those S.Koreans in the bunker can't choose any other option than war. Backs are against the wall.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
A South Korean official has just been quoted on the BBC news saying that they are going to deal with this "in a way that prevents further escalation."

edit on 23/11/2010 by Doyle because: capital S

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

Hopefully that's the way it will turn out. But all it takes is one small wrong act to turn it all around.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join