It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 161
<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I wonder if perhaps Kim were to get sicker and unable to perform his duties would it be more probable that this would ease the tensions. Has anyone read anything about his medical condition - I think we know his mental condition. I wish I knew more about his son - perhaps he wants peace (hoping).

I am not all that sure of his current health, but I do wonder the same thing. It could be that him getting sick would ease tensions... I do believe that one day when he turns power over to his song that tensions will ease and there will be a longing from the North Korean people to have their government open up a bit to the outside world...

I think that is what will happen and I just hope people are patient and wait for that, rather than just doing something like blowing the country off the map... We have innocent people involved, you know? Any war would take out lots of innocent people in that area....

Modern warfare has reduced the amount of civilian deaths, but the thing is... If North Korea launches chemical weapons or worse... Lots of innocent people will be hurt... and of course South Korean and the US and any one else involved will want to retaliate and vice versa.... I just..... War... in that area.... Ugly as hell... I don't know how many ways I can say that...

It just is not a smart idea for the South to provoke the South... and quite frankly I hope the North quits trying to provoke the South in the future because the South is not playing around anymore....

As awesome as this thread is... People need to realize that it's not just as easy as swooping in and taking over the country... People will die... Lots and lots of people. We are truly talking about the potential for a war that we have not seen the likes of since ww2... Only with modern weaponry.......

Yeah, I don't like the South provoking the North despite what North Korea did last month.... I don't like either side provoking the other... Because I can see that nothing good can come of it.

That said, there is really not much else I can say at the moment regarding my feelings on the South provoking the north.... I am already starting to repeat myself. So since you all know my stance on the issue. I will leave it at that.

peace and love! Oh and thanks to everyone who has been keeping this amazing thread going. I have noticed that this thread is staying ahead of the MSM and it is bringing all the news from around the world on the subject, to one spot, for easy access. Simply brilliant.
edit on 24-12-2010 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Has anyone heard any more about that Christmas tree that was put up in South Korea that apparently can be seen from North Korea? I am just curious to know if it was ever really confirmed that North Korea really threatened to have that knocked down... If I recall the original source for that claim was not all that reliable.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I never really saw a source or confirmation on that - hope it remains standing!

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I do too Crazy Daisy!

Peace on Earth and good will toward men.

May you, and everyone around the world, enjoy the peace and blessings that this precious gift of life that has been given to us all.

Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
yes there is they put it up as propaganda from the south

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajniss
yes there is they put it up as propaganda from the south

Of what are you referring??

The Christmas Tree??

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
yes the christmas tree

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Just curiously, this site has either being blocked by Korea's admin or America admin?

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

It was my favorite site to keep in eyes on South Korea, but it looks like that my own ISP blocked it?

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aslpride

Yeah your ISP might have blocked it, because it's not blocked from here.

The Christmas tree will still be up till January 6, the birthday of Kim Jong Un, as another middle finger to the North.

First off, they are on the way out with out any help... They are a dying government.... They don't need assistance. You watch. When Kim Jung Ill turns his power over to his younger son, they will open up a bit, eventually they will open up again and the way things are done there now, will stop. That is my prediction as for what happens with NK.

Thing is, people have been predicting this for every year since 1953. Thing is, you cannot predict that kind of thing.

-- S. Korea to repatriate Chinese fishermen without punishment (JoongAng Ilbo)

Good for peace.

N Korean leader, son attend anniversary banquet
Of course the population ain't eating, but those bastards are.

N.Korea warns family reunions might be in danger

Pyongyang warned Friday that new efforts by Seoul to investigate alleged wartime abductions of South Koreans by the North would endanger further reunions of separated families.

And on Christmas day, what a gift from NKorea.

NK Broadcaster Airs Program on Yeonpyeong Shelling
Only took a month...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Aslpride

Its not blocked here either and thanks for the site looks very interisting

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So what are we expecting from NK today for their show of force during the western hollidays?

They've torpedoed, they've rocketed and shelled. Now for something aircraft related?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Didnt Bluetwo say a book said there would be an attack on Christmas Eve.
Guess that author was a tad wrong.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It seems I read there is an Anniversary Banquet for leader and son today in NK.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

It was a story along the same lines of "Hunt for Red October" it wasn't suppose to be a prediction.
BTW, love this tread, it has kept me really informed!
Vince

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by modelerX

THanks for dat.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by modelerX

THanks for dat.

Not a Problem
2nd line...........................
Vince

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Kyodo: 56% of Japanese voters now want Lower House dissolved for snap elections. about 8 hours ago via web

Elections in Japan... could new elections bring a PM able to kick out the US Okinawa base? And a new PM willing to change the Japanese constitution to allow it to rebuild an army/develop nukes? Is it because of North Korea or another subject entirely?

Yonhap: #ROK intel think tank predicts #DPRK likely more hostile in 2011 as military leaders compete for Kim Jong Un's loyalty. #Koreas about 11 hours ago via web

Gee ya think?

South Korean, Chinese defense chiefs to meet in February
That is very interesting.

North won’t be called ‘main enemy’

“Internally, the North Korean military is already defined as a main enemy and externally it is also described as an enemy,” said a defense official, explaining the ministry’s decision not to include the term in this year’s defense paper.

So it doesn't really matter what they are called publicly.

North Korea troops boast of artillery attacks on South Korea

North Korean soldiers boasted on state television they bombarded a front-line South Korean island with artillery last month as immediate retaliation after the South fired first.

Of course they did.

New Taiwan anti-sub aircraft in service next year: report
China won't like that.

And more drills from South Korea...

S.Korea to hold naval firing drills this week

South Korea will stage naval firing drills at 23 venues from Monday but will exclude areas near the disputed sea border with North Korea, the military said.

The military plans to stage live-fire drills of the coast around the Korean peninsula from December 27 to 31, the Joint Chiefs of Staff said Sunday.

99.9% chance of nothing happening, but since it's a period of holiday in the US... anything is possible.

And from what I've seen, China just did the first air flight test for it's J-20 yesterday.... from the looks of it, it looks A LOT like the F-22/F-35. And I'm really shocked that they ALREADY had a test flight.

China was supposed to get it's first fighter generation 5 in 2020...not 2016-2017...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the update Vitchilo, I've been waiting all day for it, and yes I have a life.
I don't think NK will attack during the next round of SK drills, but who knows, I wouldn't have expected SK to hold 3 drills in 3 weeks or so.

Vince

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

By Lee Chi-dong
SEOUL, Dec. 27 (Yonhap) -- President Lee Myung-bak said Monday that South Koreans should not fear war with North Korea although his government is eager to keep peace on the peninsula.

"If (we) are afraid of war, we can never prevent war," Lee said in his biweekly radio address, the last of this year.

No doubt.

If I had US on my side..

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Elections in Japan... could new elections bring a PM able to kick out the US Okinawa base?

I know that this has been an issue of contention over the last year (the US base). But, given the current SK/NK instabilities...I think it is highly unlikely at this time. They would need the US for support if something regional escalates?

And a new PM willing to change the Japanese constitution to allow it to rebuild an army/develop nukes?

Now that would be a high probability, in my mind, vis-a-vis, the regional conflict....

BTW, Vitchilo, you have a great way of keeping up with news but your added commentary really makes this thread, and despite such a *touchy* subject, some chuckles on this end. at least.

edit on 26-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: MO

new topics

top topics

<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join