It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 154
<< 151  152  153    155  156  157 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Christmas tree is up and running!

egalite_twitted Huge X-mas tree overlooking impoverished NKorea lights up, Yonhap reports from Aegibong peak, as fighter jets guard against possible attack 12 minutes ago via web

egalite_twitted The tree is 30 meters high and adorned with 100,000 bulbs, a symbol of SKorea's economic superiority over NKorea just 3 kilometers away. 9 minutes ago via web

egalite_twitted The tree is so bright and big it is said to be seen from Kaesong, a NKorean city that darkness engulfs at night. j.mp... 3 minutes ago via twtkr

Freaking big tree...

W7VOA One reason for high alert continuing in S. Korea today is evidence of N. Korean SA-2 missiles placed on W. coast nr border. 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

So what? SA-2 missiles? They are afraid of those?
SA-2 missiles were made in the 1950s! This is a joke.
edit on 21-12-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
But one missile could create a war. Shoot them a you have war on your hand and a missile from 60 years old could still kill some people!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ni91ck
But one missile could create a war. Shoot them a you have war on your hand and a missile from 60 years old could still kill some people!!!!

I would agree with you...except those SA-2 are ANTI-AIR missiles... so yeah.

But I agree, one NKorean missile armed with VX gas detonated over Seoul would kill 50.000+ civilians.

Unmoved by N. Korea nuke proposal, S. Korea calls for return to NPT

South Korea remained unmoved Tuesday by what appeared to be overtures by Pyongyang through a senior U.S. official to resume nuclear dialogue, demanding more clear action by the communist state.

With this phony deal, the only thing that shows is that the US controls South Korean foreign policy when it comes to North Korea.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I must say that you do a excellent job here! Thx for that.
Little KIm will never give up his nuke/ nuclear baby. He still has some cards in his hand. He may never loose his face. I hope he's very fast gone from this earth!!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I wish we could see the tree. It must be inspiring in its own humble way. I wonder what the innocent on the North Korea side think when they see that? How does it make them feel? Do they just perhaps spit and look away? Do they yearn or understand the peace it could represent? Do they even care?

Awww the things that go through ones mind on the night of the red moon...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Thanks for your posts... I felt alone...

S.Korea stays on guard despite N.Korea concessions

"This is the most serious crisis in our national defence since the (1950-53) Korean War," Defence Minister Kim Kwan-Jin told parliament Tuesday.

"We are maintaining thorough military readiness at sea including Yeonpyeong island against possible provocations by the North," Kim said, promising strong retaliation for any future strike.

"North Korea talks a great game. They always do. The real issue is what will they do," spokesman Philip Crowley said.

"If they are agreeable to returning IAEA inspectors to their country, they have to tell the IAEA that.

"We've seen a string of broken promises by North Korea going back many, many years."

The South, deploying warships and jet fighters to guard against any counterstrike, held its artillery drill Monday after the UN Security Council failed to agree a statement on the crisis in the face of China's objections.

A senior Seoul government official said the North's decision not to retaliate was partly swayed by diplomatic concerns.

"I think North Korea does not want to be diplomatically isolated and targeted by all (key) members of the Security Council," he told reporters on condition of anonymity.

The official also said the North may not have attacked on Monday because the South's military was fully prepared. "North Korea has already implied it might be tempted to make another strike or provocation -- we have to watch."

South Korea is still on full alert...

I really believe that if Bill Richardson had not go to Pyongyang, war would have broken out.

Thing is South Korea does this kind of drill 10 times a year.... another one is probably scheduled in January.

And until they change their military doctrine once again, the new doctrine is ``shoot and ask for orders after the other side that fired on you is destroyed``...

So even if North Korea waits 3-6 months to do another provocation, next time they do, the South will still send F-15K-F-16Ks over.

The North better understand this.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The ``democracy`` of South Korea :
S.Koreans tweeting with N.Korea to be punished

SOUTH Koreans trying to tweet with North Korea will be punished, Seoul officials have warned, as the communist state ratchets up an online propaganda drive via popular websites such as Twitter and YouTube.

The Justice Ministry, in its 2011 operation plan, said those who forward the North's Twitter postings to others or post comments on its postings via 'retweet' or 'reply' will face punishment.

This is BS.

What if South Koreans retweet their propaganda with the comment that they are full of it?

South Korea a free society my butt!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Vitchilo
Thanks for keeping up this post your doing a great job its one i have great intrest in i think NKorea has alot more cards up its sleeve..time will tell..oh and happy holidays

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Vitchilo
Thanks for keeping up this post your doing a great job its one i have great intrest in i think NKorea has alot more cards up its sleeve..time will tell..oh and happy holidays

Thanks! Happy holidays to you too. Yeah this ain't over by a long shot.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
April will be the next hoopla in Korea. After the north Korean's test their nukes.
Now they'll talk about Iran for awhile or the Iranians will be in the headlines starting prob. next week or so.

Wow this crap is getting predictable.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

egalite_twitted Huge X-mas tree overlooking impoverished NKorea lights up, Yonhap reports from Aegibong peak, as fighter jets guard against possible attack 12 minutes ago via web

egalite_twitted The tree is 30 meters high and adorned with 100,000 bulbs, a symbol of SKorea's economic superiority over NKorea just 3 kilometers away. 9 minutes ago via web

Ah, so now we get to the heart of the dispute, supposed economic superiority. Now how did South Korea become so economically superior? They sold themselves to the big bank system, where as North Korea refuses. What finer symbol to use to taunt their neighbor to the North than the "Christmas" tree, the "supposed" symbol of Christs birth. Oh Christ would be proud that his message has been learned so well. This is exactly what he would do, flaunt his wealth at his enemy rather than share that wealth, in hopes that he will smack him in the face just so he can retaliate with his gang of thugs.

This kind of message just warms the heart. It almost makes one want to get dressed up in their finest clothes and parade through a homeless camp gnawing on a fat turkey leg chugging a beer stein full of gravy!

Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas! Satan Claws is on the way!

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 21-12-2010 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Very well said IAMIAM. I which i had the same way with words as you have.

Personally i think your post fits in perfectly in this topic.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Very well written! Why couldn't they just send a present to Kim instead of "in your face to the starving people".

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

egalite_twitted Chosun Ilbo blasts NYT for carrying Selig Harrison's op-ed calling for reconsidering NLL. Don't mess with Chosun. It's on a roll. 25 minutes ago via twtkr

Well yeah that's just stupid...especially now... but the islands close to the NLL should have been North Korea's in the first place.

U.S. calls on N. Korea to take concrete denuclearization steps before 6-way talks' reopening

The United States Tuesday urged North Korea to stop provocations and take concrete steps for its denuclearization before the resumption of nuclear negotiations, stalled over the North's shelling of a South Korean island and other hostile acts.

"We're not going to get a table and a room and have six-party talks just for the feel-good notion of having six-party talks," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said. "When and if the North Koreans are ever serious about living up to their obligations, then we can think about restarting six-party talks."

The deal was really a joke then? Even from the US standpoint? What?

Washington backs Seoul's hard line, leaves Richardson's deal hanging... RT @BBCWorld US rules out talks with N Korea bbc.in... about 6 hours ago via web in reply to BBCWorld

The deal was from another faction in Washington or what? The elite is dividwed on this because it's really dangerous.

N.Korea Deploys More Missiles Along West Coast

North Korea has had extra surface-to-ship and surface-to-air missiles ready near the western coast since early this week in response to a South Korean artillery drill on Yeonpyeong Island, which took place on Monday.

"The North has deployed more SA-2 surface-to-air missiles and Silkworm surface-to-ship missiles at Cape Deungsan on the western coast," in addition to multiple rocket launchers and coastal artillery, a South Korean government source said Tuesday. "It seemed ready to launch some of the surface-to-ship missiles, so our naval ships moved out of range."

The surface-to-ship missiles have a range of 83-95 km, while the Soviet-made SA-2 surface-to-air missile has a range of 30-40 km, which could pose a threat to South Korean fighter jets in operations over areas near the Northern Limit Line, the de-facto maritime border.

They are preparing something for sure. Wouldn't surprise me if they attack during Christmas or New Year Eve...

'Nuke Inspectors in NK Need Robust Mandate'
Yeah sure. Like that will happen.

Vladimir Radyuhin: Russia sees US game in peninsula

As the crisis on the Korean peninsula continues unabated, Russia has accused the United States and South Korea of provoking the recent flare-up of tension. On Friday, the Russian Foreign Ministry summoned the South Korean and US Ambassadors to express “extreme concern” over a planned live-firing drill near a disputed maritime border with North Korea.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexei Borodavkin “strongly urged” the envoys “to refrain from conducting the planned firing in order to avoid further escalation of tensions on the Korean peninsula.” He reminded the envoys that a similar artillery firing on November 23 had “provoked an exchange of fire... that caused casualties.”

The statement is in line with the view of Russian experts on Korea who believe that the US is provoking tension on the Korean Peninsula to continue to threaten Russia and China.

“Keeping up tension on the peninsula is the only way for the US to justify the more than half-a-century-long presence of American forces in Japan and South Korea that is directed against Russia and especially China,” said Dr Alexander Zhebin, head of the Centre for Korean Studies at the Russian Institute of the Far East.

The scholar said that had it not been for the North Korean “threat,” the US would be hard put to explain the need for deploying missile defences in East Asia, which is proceeding much faster than in Europe and targets Russia and China rather than North Korea.

Russia knows what the hell is going on.

BBC News - Volunteers flock to bolster S Korean military

Russian, N.Korean Diplomats Discuss Regional Situation

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Aleksey Borodavkin told North Korean ambassador Kim Jong-yae that Moscow remains committed to six-party talks on North Korean disarmament. He said Russia will work to help find a settlement between Seoul and Pyongyang so that the talks can resume.

Well good.

China on Tuesday demanded that South Korea pay compensation for the sinking of a Chinese fishing boat in which one man was killed and punish the coastguard ship involved in the incident.
Yeah that will happen. NOT.

China and Russia to Hold Joint Naval Exercises

China and Russia will hold their first joint naval exercise next year in the northern part of the East Sea, Hong Kong's Phoenix TV reported Monday citing Russian media. China and Russia used to hold joint military exercises on land near their shared border that stretches 4,350 km, but the annual exercise, dubbed "Peace Mission," will be held at sea for the first time in 2011.

Well ain't that nice. In the Northern East China Sea... right on South Korea's doorstep... Yeah coincidence I'm sure.

Equidistance policy

Both China and Russia exhibited a false equidistance policy toward the South and the North in the current crisis on the Korean Peninsula. They showed unusually close rapport in calling for the two halves of Korea to exercise “restraint and calm,” ignoring the fact that one side attacked and the other side suffered.

Russia and China don't want a war on their doorstep, nor a pro-US Unified Korea...isn't that clear enough?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Thanks Vitchilo.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bicent76

Thanks Vitchilo.

De nada.

LOTS of important news in that update... Russia-China drill right off the coast of SKorea... NKorea deploying more missiles...China demanding SKorea repaying the sinking boat... really important stuff.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
S. Korea willing to conduct joint probe with China into boat sinking

South Korea is willing to conduct a joint investigation with China into last week's sinking of a Chinese fishing boat in waters off the South's southwest coast, an official said Wednesday, amid signs of a diplomatic row over the accident.

Good.

One month after N. Korean attack, residents return to ravaged island

After spending one month away from her house on Yeonpyeong Island since it was hit by a deadly North Korean artillery barrage, Cho Seon-bi says she can't live the way she used to. Like most of the 1,350 civilian residents of this once idle fishing town, the 77-year-old oyster diver fled to Incheon shortly after the attack, going back and forth between a public sauna house, which was turned into a makeshift shelter, and her son's house in the nearby port city.

Home for christmas!

N. Korea, U.S. restore 'New York channel' of dialogue: diplomatic source
If true that is very good news... no more NKorean provocations then... GOOOOOOD.

Finally when I said that North Korea would get their carrot if people were scared of full scale war I was right...

FLASH: S. Korea army says to hold largest-ever live-fire drill on Thursday on mainland near border with North 4 minutes ago via web

NUTJOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USFK says tomorrow is training holiday &it's not having any of its forces involved in any #ROK field exercise Thursday. #Koreas 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

At least the US is not involved in that... well not until war breaks out.

Heir apparent showing his stripes
The next leader of China... will stop ``appeasing`` the US apparently.

W7VOA #ROK Navy tells VOA 'routine" sea drills also getting underway today through Saturday off east coast. #Koreas 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Really... pushing it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Wow you are good with this thread, thank you so much! Looks like things are getting tense again!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

My goodness. It seems as if the South it's trying to bait the North into attacking. Meanwhile the north seems to be moving the pieces they need into place to attack. This is not good as it appears both sides have made up their mind s...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Yes it looks like a scenario for disaster....The Winter would appear to be shaping up into a bad one for the North.Mabey thats why their will be no talks at present.The Sanctions are bitting.Their soldiers have been relieved of afternoon drills because they havent the nutrition to sustain them.The South continues to taunt them with the fact that the South has the Electricity to burn a hundred thousand light bulbs on the xmas tree..when the North has to shut down supplies with regularity.I think the mood of the South has changed forever..China and Russia really dont want a War on their borders.They dont want the North Testing nukes either..the test site is closer to a populous Chinese city than the North Korean Capital...
If the North invades the South..Then all the high tech gear wont mean a lot..It would be street to street fighting.I'd like to know what and where, the NK. troop concentrations are at the moment.

new topics

top topics

<< 151  152  153    155  156  157 >>

join