It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 153
<< 150  151  152    154  155  156 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

I know your not asking me, but i just thought I'd say I think there is next to zero chance of a conflict. N. Korea have been paid out and are happy for the time being

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

I must admit that I do not see war by design breaking out. More a chance of war by misjudgement or screw up or just bloody inertia if they get this ball rolling too much. The North is in a very delicate state right now with the transition of power going on. With it being the most closed society on earth with even the "experts" clinging to scraps of information. It is hard to say what kind of intrigues are going on within the NKWP, there is probably a very large sino block that may not be too happy with the prospect of another generation of Kims. They are looking at another year of famine so unless they want to depopulate their countryside something has to give soon. That can make for some rather pressurized decision making which can lead to scenarios that are not very pleasant. They do have a half dozen or so 20 kt devices which is a rather substantial hammer considering the proximity of ROK's economic and population heart to the DMZ. Cases can be made for either proposition but I do think Case A-No Immediate War is holding sway. I am going to keep watching myself because I'm a Case B kind of guy, (that was my job at one time) who loves to be wrong.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

A "present" - seriously! I want to know what kind of present and or how much?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluetwo

Thank you for you response Bluetwo, I value your opinion. Though my mind wants to agree that "Case A" will hold out until spring at least, my heart/gut/spidey sense makes me feel like what will come of this is going to be beyond the wildest proportions of my imagination. I would have to describe myself the way you do as well, but this time it doesn't feel like we will be wrong. It feels like this is entirely out of control and not predictable at all, because like you said, it's not "by design" this time. What comes after chaos? Destruction?
edit on 20-12-2010 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Cheers to my 18th birthday tomorrow and let the world be at peace for the blood moon :]
/end thread "for now"

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
They have been doing for the last 30 to 40 years,all we do is talk and supply them with money and energy in which everyone in the world knows that someday the north will call off all the agreements and go back to their aggression mode again. so that they can bargain more money and energy again,and we will give what they want again and again...I think the fact that North Korea is even bothering to threaten war is just a sign of how instable that country is from the inside. They need the threat of war with S. Korea to keep their tiny grasp of power.Our best hope is to keep the situation too dangerous for them to get too trigger happy, until they collapse from within. We just have to hope someone in a position to act over there, does, before things go all to hell..this is just my idea on things..

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

US State Dept. spokesman: "We'll be guided by what North Korea does, not by what North Korea says it might do under certain circumstances." about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

Yeah believing that sack of **** would be naive.

CONCERNED - Sources tell @barbarastarrcnn that Adm Mullen was in Pentagon monitoring during South Korea drills about 11 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

W7VOA 20 US soldiers were on Yeonpyeong during yesterday's artillery drill, along w- 9 observers of the UN & its Military Armistice Comm. #Koreas 10 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Pyongyang says IAEA inspectors can return: CNN

Pyongyang said it would allow inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency to return to a nuclear facility in North Korea after talks with Bill Richardson, former U.S. ambassador to the UN, according to CNN.

Notice they allow the inspectors to ONE facility. This is a joke and the US knows this.

CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer, who is accompanying Richardson on his trip to Pyongyang, said that North Korea also agreed to negotiate the sale of 12,000 nuclear fuel rods and have them sent to an outside country. The rods, which would be enough to create roughly six to eight nuclear weapons, may be sold to South Korea.

That on the other hand is better.

North Korea also apparently agreed to consider Richardson’s proposal to set up a military commission between the United States, North Korea and South Korea and also a military hotline between the two Koreas, CNN said.

That's good...

Fate of Kaesong hangs in balance with tension

Amid escalating tension between the two Koreas, the fate of the Kaesong Industrial Complex is once again in jeopardy.

Analysts and government officials expressed concern yesterday that it would be impossible to keep the project going if North Korea stages another provocation or retaliates for yesterday’s live-fire drill.

The industrial complex, which marries North Korean labor and South Korean capital and management, began in December 2004. After other economic projects started between the two Koreas during the Sunshine Policy days were shut down, the industrial park in the North Korean border city of Kaesong was the last remaining symbol of inter-Korean reconciliation.

Well duh.

Here's what would have had happened if North Korea struck back...
Resolve and restraint

If the People’s Army of the DPRK makes good its threats, the South Korean and the allied U.S. forces will have no other choice but to conduct ground, naval and air strikes on the targets where the North’s shelling originates.

Any escalation of the situation to include the North’s bombing of Seoul with its long-range artillery and missiles ― as it has warned of time and again ― will lead to an all-out war. After withstanding “13 minutes” of initial attack from the North, the allied forces will swiftly go into counterattack and soon control the air over the whole peninsula with their superior air power. The Yongbyon nuclear facilities will be among the first targets to be destroyed under established contingency plans.

This chain of events would bring about a violent end to the North Korean regime.

China on S.Korea drill: No one should 'promote conflict'

"No one has any right to preach or promote conflict or war, and no one has any right to cause bloodshed between the peoples in the north and south of the peninsula," he said when asked to comment on the drill carried out by Seoul.

Really? Then why are you backing NKorea uh? Hypocrite much?

S.Korean Democracy Improves, But N.Korea Mired in Repression
Democracy improves uh? That's what you call that when people get beaten up at the G-20, the police state is being installed and free trade agreement BS are being passed when most people are against it? Yeah great democracy there...just like here, total BS.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Han Min-koo says North Korea could engage in further provocations at any time.
Duh.

N. Korea's economy posts modest gains since 2000: think tank
Yeah well China is investing billions in North Korea.

Mullen dropped by press filing room today. I asked if he was really here all night monitoring Korea. Said: "Most of it." about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

So it was pretty serious.

W7VOA NM Gov. Richardson ends visit to Pyongyang; to speak to media after arrival at Beijing airport. #Koreas 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

And now that Bill Richardson has left and tensions have ``calmed down``...at least a bit, will North Korea really allow IAEA inspectors in? Or was it just a trick?

North Korea still played this beautifully. South Korea basically told Russia and China to piss off... and South Korea was seen as ``the warmonger`` by doing that drill at this sensitive time...even if they did that drill 10 times a year for 37 years. Pretty nice move there.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
South Korea just asked something that NKorea will never agree to. And boom! The nuclear deal is off. Didn't took long.

N. Korea must return to NPT first before accepting inspectors: S. Korean official

North Korea must first return to an international treaty on nuclear non-proliferation before accepting U.N. inspectors back to its key nuclear facilities, a senior South Korean official said Tuesday.

Ahahahaha... South Korea is really tired of NKorea BS... NKorea will never accept to return to the NPT.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well all that was interesting,So it was all a ruse to get some goodies...The main problem i see is if one rogue Battery fires its guns at SK. Then its all over for little Kimmy.If one Rogue General orders an attack,the regime is History.This fact alone would make the regimes life span limited.Many in NK. know this.Lets hope a Soldier can maintain his cool, when his family is starving.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anonentity

Yeah from what I've read in the several books I read on North Korea in the last few weeks, some defectors said that some people were so tired of this BS, some days they would just feel like bombing the South without orders so the war would start and they would be liberated...

Maybe that could happen...

China must recover territory ‘looted' by neighbours, said PLA General

A General of China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) called on the Chinese government to take a more aggressive line in its foreign policy as well as recover territory “looted by neighbours,” in an essay that was published in the official media only two days before Premier Wen Jiabao's arrival in India.

“The neighbouring area is not peaceful, and we have outside threats,” wrote Major General Luo Yuan, who is also the deputy secretary-general of the Chinese Academy of Military Sciences, in an essay published in the official Global Times, a Chinese newspaper known for its nationalistic views.

China, he said, could not call itself “a strong nation” unless it “recovered the land looted by neighbours.”

And looted territory includes Taiwan, parts of India and contested islands with Japan/Vietnam... not good.

W7VOA Chong Wa Dae: #ROK Pres. Lee to hold Natl. Security Council Meeting in 1 hr to review security conditions. #Koreas 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

edit on 20-12-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
With Vitchilo sitting the watch I only have three tabs and one scanner up. Great thread!

I do agree that it is really looking that the ROK position is hardening. It's a new game if Kim the younger can consolidate power. I think we have to remember that he was educated in the west and his world view may be quite different than the elder generation who were products of Stalinist education while in exile in the USSR during the Japanese occupation. He may even be behind this "peace" offensive wonderful turn around on the ROK as you mentioned.

I don't think this is over by a long shot. The whole Pacific region is going through a fundamental shift of strategic alignments. A resurgent Japan is not something either the Chinese or Koreans would view with anything but a sense of nervousness. The memories are very long and bitter still.

I do think that war by mistake or miscalculation is still on the table. Interesting to hear that Mullen was sitting watch as well. Also that was quite a little tripwire company they had on the Island. I would love to hear what the MOS's of the twenty were, probably mostly coms/nsa types.
edit on 20-12-2010 by Bluetwo because: edit for spelling

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

W7VOA Some concern #DPRK troops might fire on Aegibong peak after church, for 1st time since '03, turns on Xmas lights on steel tower today. 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Hopefully not... that would be real bad.

S. Korea calls off plan to cut mandatory military service period
I'm sure the young SKoreans are happy about this... NOT!

Steve Herman W7VOA Brookings analyst Katy Oh tells VOA that #DPRK will likely strike again, perhaps over year-end holidays. #Koreas 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Of course.

chicoharlan Key ROK govn't official: #DPRK didn't attack yest. because it knows it would get crushed 1-on-1. But DPRK will look for a window to strike. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

chicoharlan Cronin, cont'd. : "They will take these powers on asymmetrically, in the dark of the morning." ... So, that's a little sample of predictions 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
UN's Korea statement no longer relevant: US

The United States said Monday that it was too late to pass a UN Security Council statement on the Korea military crisis as China made a strong appeal for the Koreas to end their tensions.

S. Korea on alert ahead of Christmas tree lighting on border hill

South Korea's military remains on alert for possible North Korean provocations Tuesday as the country plans to light up a giant Christmas tree near the border with North Korea for the first time in seven years, a move that Pyongyang sees as propaganda warfare.

President Lee convenes National Security Council meeting

President Lee Myung-bak convened a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) on Tuesday to review South Korea's defense posture and overall crisis management system a day after the country's military staged a high-stakes artillery drill near the western border with North Korea, according to Lee's aides.

"President Lee plans to hold the NSC meeting from around 11:40 a.m.," an official at the presidential office Cheong Wa Dae said, requesting anonymity before it announces the schedule.

So it's been going on for a little more than an hour... still no more details.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

So they've passed the bloody red moon time over there, I suppose.

The US/SK taunting with "it's too late baby now, it's too late...."

The US/SK taunting with Christmas tree...

Enough to push Little Kim right off his little toddler rocking chair....hope not

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Nah the red moon is starting in about 3h11 and ends in 5h51. So we'll have about 3 hours of red moon doom!

It starts at around 4.20PM Tokyo time, or 2.20AM ET and ends at 7PM Tokyo time, or 5AM ET.

W7VOA ROK Xmas tower lighting on mountain neat border that could prompt #DPRK armed response set for 1745 KST today. 3 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Which is 3.45AM ET.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Chite, Chite!

I was hoping it was over there, but I got my daze all confused!

(Wrings hands) Should not have looked at Vitchilo's thread again....should not have...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Damn me!

And ain't that interesting that they are lighting up the tree right during the eclipse? Coincidence, I'm sure...

The eclipse will peak at 3.17AM...and will start to recede at 3.53AM and they light up the tree at 3.45AM... nice.

When they light up the tree, the red moon will still be there.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Eclipse has started in Chili...
Live stream

markmackinnon US envoy Richardson hails progress after North Korea trip. Says regime knows it went too far, wants return to talks: bbc.in... 4 minutes ago via web

Regime knows it went too far and it scared little Kim?
Little Kim is a doom addict that went down the barrel...then realized what he did... and now he's gonna be clean?

People on hard drugs like doom don't come clean like that man!

joCNN Upon leaving #NorthKorea @GovRichardson tells me "this is a start of a new chapter" 1 minute ago via web

Either Richardson is a fool of the highest magnitude... or a big freaking liar. Ya think Kim didn't know what he was doing?

edit on 21-12-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
S Korea Braces for Possible Attack

A destroyer prowled the sea and fighter jets screamed across the skies Tuesday as South Korea braced for possible North Korean surprise attacks a day after launching provocative artillery drills on an island the North shelled last month.

"We will mobilize reconnaissance and surveillance assets of South Korea and the U.S. combined force and intensively monitor North Korea's military activities," Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin told lawmakers before leaving for the security meeting.

North Korea showed no signs of pulling back its military. SA-2 ground-to-air missile and ground-to-ship missiles have been deployed in the west and are poised to fire artillery, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported, citing an unidentified military official.

If North Korea is bright, they will do nothing and let South Korea spend millions of $ being on alert all the time.

Oooo.... North Korea just been kicked in the balls... BY CHINA.

W7VOA Reuters: PRC urges DPRK to accept IAEA inspections. #Koreas #nuclear 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck

MWAHAHAAHHAHA IT'S OVER NORTH KOREA!!!!!! Listen to your masters now!

Frontline U.S. military unit in S. Korea to receive new tanks, combat vehicles

N. Korea's nuclear concession to have minor influence on tension with S. Korea
Well yeah... South Korean government think it's BS... and they are right. Hopefully China's move forces North Korea to calm down.
edit on 21-12-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 150  151  152    154  155  156 >>

join