It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 133
<< 130  131  132    134  135  136 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

We will have to see what happens, is this a drill, or will it be a full scale war? It's so surreal to imagine that we could see this war break out, and what that consequence could be for the world. Holding my breath.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I thought the weather would hold them up until Tuesday. I hope NK has just been blabbing as usual and will not do anything.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

What the hell are you talking about? It's not there. The DRILLS HAVE NOT STARTED.

They will probably start tomorrow or tuesday but AT THIS TIME THEY HAVE NOT.

U.N. Security Council to meet over rising inter-Korean tension

The United Nations Security Council said Saturday it has scheduled emergency closed-door consultations on the rising tensions on the Korean Peninsula for Sunday morning at Russia's request, as South Korea plans to proceed with a planned live-fire drill on its front-line island bombarded by North Korea last month.

Russia's U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the Russian government believes the Security Council must send "a restraining signal" to North Korea and help launch diplomatic actions to resolve all disputes between North Korea and South Korea, while China, the North's key ally, also said it is firmly against any acts that could worsen already high tensions on the peninsula.

At least they are blaming North Korea, not South Korea.

About Airforce Command at Guam being on alert...
Air Force Global Strike Command SPECIAL ALERT

All active personnel serving with the Air Force Global Strike Command have been issued a special alert on Dec 18. Air Force Global Strike Command is responsible for deploying Long Range Strategic Bombers including B-52 and B-2 bombers. There are believed to be 30 B-52 and 11 B-2 bombers stationed at Anderson Air Force base on the Island of Guam. The USAF 36th Wing would be used as the main bomber force in advent of a war on the Korean Peninsula. The Amateur radio operator affiliation known as Sky Watchers has been reporting a substantial increase in Air Traffic at Anderson Air Force base since Dec 15. Strategic bombers deployed from Guam would rendezvous with Fighters from the 5th Air Force stationed in Japan before entering a combat area such as North Korea.

Well they would be fools to not be ready.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Your link to Twitters said nothing about the drills starting - I looked elsewhere as well. Where did you read this info?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I just searched everywhere and found no mention of them starting the drills either; I looked through several pages of Reuters releases.

I think someone may have thought they were being funny or have a bad source?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Seoul vows to proceed with firing drill as UNSC meets to defuse tension

South Korea's military on Sunday reaffirmed its determination to go ahead with its planned live-fire drill this week off a Yellow Sea border island attacked by North Korea last month, as the United Nations Security Council plans to convene an emergency consultation on the rising inter-Korean tensions.

Still a go.

Both sides are ``vowing`` to do what they said they would do.... so yeah this ain't good.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nonnez

Sure, North Korea is China's brat but don't forget Israel is ours!

Read my signature and take it to heart friend

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Air Force Global Strike Command SPECIAL ALERT
All active personnel serving with the Air Force Global Strike Command have been issued a special alert on Dec 18. Air Force Global Strike Command is responsible for deploying Long Range Strategic Bombers including B-52 and B-2 bombers. There are believed to be 30 B-52 and 11 B-2 bombers stationed at Anderson Air Force base on the Island of Guam. The USAF 36th Wing would be used as the main bomber force in advent of a war on the Korean Peninsula. The Amateur radio operator affiliation known as Sky Watchers has been reporting a substantial increase in Air Traffic at Anderson Air Force base since Dec 15. Strategic bombers deployed from Guam would rendezvous with Fighters from the 5th Air Force stationed in Japan before entering a combat area such as North Korea

Now out of everything I've seen, this is one of the most worrisome

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

I think they are forced to do that kind of stuff when this kind of trouble is brewing... doesn't mean they will go to war.

Anyway, I'll remind you all of this :
According to a high-ranking source in the North, North Korean leader Kim Jong-il made the request to Chinese President Hu Jintao when he visited China in early May. But Hu apparently told Kim that China will protect and support him if attacked.

So either China lied to North Korea... or China will side with North Korea... or this report is false. You decide.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
If it's true about Guam....then it looks like we are preparing to send a serious smack down on them if things get frisky. Probably hoping to prevent/delay a general offensive by the NKs.

My take is:

1 Drills take place in the coming days.
2 NKs act billegerant in a serious way, causing S Korea to retaliate...probably on artillery emplacements near the border, or airfields and rocket bases.
3.Everyone sits back to see what happens. NK, if they chose to strike again, will likely begin to move for something big, like artillery strikes on Seoul, or a general offensive, maybe on Christmas (anyone ever read "RedPhenoix" by Larry Bond??)
4. If it appears such a strike by the NKs is immenen, or actually gets underwayt, then the NKs get a visit from the aircraft that might be on Guam. 30 B52s and 11 or so B2's alone (as a previous poster indicated) could deliver something on the order of 1200 smart munitions...depending on type. You couple that with strikes from the US and S Korean Air Forces on the Pennensula, you might cripple the NKs ability to launch an offensive or strike Seoul (hopefully). With the hope you end a general war before it starts....and pray Seoul escapes major damage.

Gonna get dicey.....

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Now that i think about it, when I was in ROTC back in 94 Korea got kind of hot like this. We went on Christmas break with our Tactical Training Officer saying, half joking, half serious, "if Korea goes hot you all get the 90 day commissioning program after the break. We will need infantry lieutenant replacements quick".....

Everything passed ok of course. But many years later (probably someone here could track it down) it came out that President Clinton had ordered the readiness of a "desert storm" like air campaign to launch,(preemtively if needed) and had the assets in place and we were about 72 hrs from the go ahead. My point is the campaign plan for such a raid exists, and is probably updated frequently.

Did some checking, here is some reading for those who are interested.

www.hartford-hwp.com...

www.globalsecurity.org...

This one is good, goes into the unclassified parts of OPLAN 5027 Major Theater War-WEST, defense of S. Korea

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Oh boy...

(URGENT) North Korea raised military preparedness on the west coast ahead of South Korea's live-fire drill: source

This ain't looking good at all.

SEOUL, Dec. 19 (Yonhap) -- North Korea has beefed up its military forces on the west coast ahead of South Korea's planned live-fire drill in the area, a South Korean government source said Sunday.

"The North Korean artillery unit along the Yellow Sea has raised its preparedness level," the source said.

North Korea is preparing for it to hit the fan too...

The source added he couldn't confirm whether some of North Korea's weapons had been moved closer to South Korea, but said, "Some fighter jets that had been inside the air force hangar have come out to the ground."

Since SKorea has said they would send F-15K to bomb North Korea artillery sites if NKorea attacked the island... well it definitely seem like NKorea is gonna fire at the island.

1. South Korea starts the drill.
2. North Korea fires at the island.
3. South Korea sends F-15s to bomb the artillery sites.
4. North Korea sends crappy warplanes to engage the F-15s.
5. NKorea planes get shot down.
6. NKorea artillery sites get blown up.

Me thinks NKorea is gonna counter attack even more after that. We'll see.
edit on 19-12-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
its a bit offtopic but.... look at this...

watch this video...

uk.gamespot.com...

and look at this

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The war seems to be inevitable, maybe break out at anytime within 2 days.
Exciting
I hope it will eliminate NK regime and also weaken the hegemony.

edit on 19-12-2010 by gs001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Wuhaha...this # is getting better by the minute

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dude69
Wuhaha...this # is getting better by the minute

Not for the millions of people who will be bombed into oblivion it isn't.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Seoul Nears Test of North Korean Threats

In many ways, the test-firing on Yeonpyeong presents a direct challenge to North Korea in a way Pyongyang hasn't dealt with since a tense episode with the U.S. in August 1976.

In that incident, North Korea killed two U.S. soldiers who tried to chop down a tree blocking a view of the North in the demilitarized zone, the inter-Korean land border that's heavily guarded on both sides. Amid more threats from Pyongyang, the U.S. several days later sent in more soldiers to finish the job, but it backed them up with an armed platoon, 27 helicopters and a number of B-52 bombers, a flexing of military muscle that caused North Korea to order citizens into bomb shelters.

N.Korea raises military alert ahead of South drill-Yonhap

North Korea's military has raised an alert for its artillery units on the west coast in readiness for a planned live-fire drill by the South, Yonhap news agency quoted a government source as saying on Sunday.

"We understand that there's been an upgrade in alert at artillery units," the government source was quoted as saying.

MSM paying close attention to this.
edit on 19-12-2010 by john124 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Just thought I would point out the fact that there has been no bad weather in S.Korea,so why are they saying the drill was delayed due to weather?
www.weather.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotsPride
Just thought I would point out the fact that there has been no bad weather in S.Korea,so why are they saying the drill was delayed due to weather?
www.weather.com...

They have had snow...

www.timeanddate.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Russia's U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said the Russian government believes the Security Council must send "a restraining signal" to North Korea and help launch diplomatic actions to resolve all disputes between North Korea and South Korea, while China, the North's key ally, also said it is firmly against any acts that could worsen already high tensions on the peninsula.

At least they are blaming North Korea, not South Korea.

Sadly there is a severe omission from many a news source. Vitaly Churkin is a diplomat and held true to this and targeted his "restraining signal" to both Seoul and Pyongyang. Yonhap news made an error, consistent with national pride, and omitted the fact that South Korea is also asked to restrain itself.

BBC news and National Post (respectively) have more correct reporting on this news release:

Russia, which has expressed "serious concern" about the possible escalation of tensions on the Korean peninsula, urged the Security Council to send a "restraining signal" to both Koreas.

Russian UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin, who called a news conference on Saturday about the spat between North and South Korea, said he hoped the 15 council members could agree on a unanimous statement that would send a “restraining signal” to both Seoul and Pyongyang.

top topics

<< 130  131  132    134  135  136 >>

join