It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 109
<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Other missiles on the North's west coast, such as the Samlet and Silkworm with ranges of up to 95 kilometres, have also been put onto launch pads, the source was quoted as saying. --AFP

asiaone news

I think this is a new development, missiles are now on launch pads and ready.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Other missiles on the North's west coast, such as the Samlet and Silkworm with ranges of up to 95 kilometres, have also been put onto launch pads, the source was quoted as saying. --AFP

asiaone news

That sounds pretty ominous if you ask me. Threats are one thing but actual preparations for an attack is a whole other.

The SK president will be making a statement at 11am SK time, about 12 hours from now. It will be very interesting to hear what is said.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

I believe the President might agree with the Chinese plans and resume talks with North Korea. Cannot seem a "this is war" statement being issued or threats to increase the pressure. Nor would Obama wish to see conflict in the region.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I don't think anything too provocative will be said but also i don't think there's any chance of him agreeing with the Chinese. They basically said a flat "No" today.

S. Korea effectively rejects China's offer to resume six-party talks

edit on 11/28/2010 by jonny2410 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Anti-ship Missile deployments. Probably a statement of where they think their territorial waters begin and warning against any encroachments, especially during the South Korean-US exercises..

The SAMs along the border suggest the same regarding their airspace, perhaps in response to the reported scrambling of South Korean jets after the shelling, or possibly that South Korea may have been flying jets close to North Korean airspace.

It seems to be an offensive-defensive posture to me: 'Violate our territory and we open fire.' which matches some of the statements from North Korean media such as that the DPRK will "give a shower of dreadful fire and blow up the bulwark of the enemies if they dare to encroach again upon [North Korea's] dignity and sovereignty, even in the least.".

As it stands, I think we will have cause for concern if North Korea thinks it's territory is being violated, then we could have trouble.

And let's of course not rule out those trigger fingers on both sides...
edit on 28-11-2010 by Regensturm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm

Good points to which I agree. The "Samlet" and "Silkworm" are both anti-ship cruise missiles. The SA-2 "Guideline" is a surface to air missile; All three units are mostly defensive in nature. Although, the Samlet can be used as a conventional cruise missile against targets on land as well, but their deployment next to the sea is a message to the US/ROK exercise not to get too close to their waters, or within the range of their anti-ship missiles and SAMs.

Now, if we start getting reports that North Korea is deploying their scuds closer to the DMZ, then that's altogether different.

edit on 28-11-2010 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
missile deployment.. boy oh boy.... i hope this doesnt all kick off, im only 16 and amongst all other things, id hate to feel like my whole life has been wasted in school >.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
China calls for North Korea talks

China calls for North Korea talks

Time not right for six-way meeting in Beijing, says Seoul, amid military muscle flexing by North and South Korea

Peter Walker
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 28 November 2010 11.49 GMT
Article history

China has called for emergency international talks over North Korea as Pyongyang reportedly prepared missile batteries and the US and South Korea launched joint military exercises.

Tensions on the Korean peninsula are as severe as they have been at any time since the end of the Korean war in 1953, and a senior official in Beijing today suggested emergency talks between the six countries that had taken part in talks on Pyongyang's disarmament.

Wu Dawei, the Chinese envoy to the peninsula, said representatives from Pyongyang and Seoul, China, the US, Russia and Japan, who have been meeting over the last seven years to discuss North Korea's nuclear ambitions, should convene in Beijing early next month "to exchange views on major issues of concern".

The talks themselves, moribund for two years after North Korea walked out, look unlikely to be resumed, with Seoul's presidential office saying it was not the right time for such a move. But such an urgent intervention from China, North Korea's only significant ally and the sole outside country with any sway over its actions, is significant, not least in underlining the gravity of the situation.

The Seoul-based Yonhap news agency reported that Pyongyang had placed surface-to-surface missiles on launch pads along its Yellow Sea coastline. The North's military is also aiming surface-to-air missiles at South Korean fighter jets flying near the western sea border, the agency added.

More

The key word that stuck out for me in the article when it's mentioned China has called for International talks. Emergency.

Vivid photos of North and South Korea taken within the past 24 hours or so:

Korea crisis: peninsula on the edge (Photos)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent
reply to post by Regensturm

Good points to which I agree. The "Samlet" and "Silkworm" are both anti-ship cruise missiles. The SA-2 "Guideline" is a surface to air missile; All three units are mostly defensive in nature. Although, the Samlet can be used as a conventional cruise missile against targets on land as well, but their deployment next to the sea is a message to the US/ROK exercise not to get too close to their waters, or within the range of their anti-ship missiles and SAMs.

Now, if we start getting reports that North Korea is deploying their scuds closer to the DMZ, then that's altogether different.

edit on 28-11-2010 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

Agreed, same thing with FROGs, (like a shorter-range scud) which I believe North Korea still possesses. If we also start seeing a mass concentration of SAM batteries near the DMZ, this, if spotted with North Korean troop movements, could signal preparations for an aerial umbrella, very similar to that utilised by Egypt in 1973 in the October War, to try to provide anti-air cover for a ground assault of some sort. Of course, troop movements could be hidden if the stories about planned tunnel assaults in the event of war are to be believed.

As it is, there's no sign that North Korea are in anything other than a posture of defence, although I am keeping an eye on any other reports of North Korean (and South Korean/US) military deployments.
edit on 28-11-2010 by Regensturm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

S. Korea, U.S. hold anti-sub, live-fire drills in Yellow Sea

SEOUL, Nov. 29 (Yonhap) -- Large-scale joint naval drills between South Korea and the United States off the Korean Peninsula's west coast went into their second day Monday, stepping up their warning against any further provocations by North Korea which has bristled over the maneuvers. Led by a massive U.S. aircraft carrier, the USS George Washington, the allies started the four-day drills Sunday in the wake of the North's deadly artillery attack on an inhabited South Korean island that killed four South Koreans, including two marines.

Link

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
These anti-sub, live fire drills will go over like a fart in chuch..

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
OOPS!
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

It's old news and nothing came from it. N. Korea was contacted and told it was an accident, they haven't replied nor done anything about it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty stupid mistake that could have thrown it all to war though

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

They produce 1980s level tech. 20 to 30 year gaps in technology from my point of view can result in junk. I know junk can still kill though.

I love Starship Troopers, its been on the recommended (or required depending on the branch) reading list for some time now. In many ways that book has and will lay the foundation for our future. I would urge every American to read it.

Yeah, it's a great book. Too bad the movie is just awful and nothing like the book.

Anyway, their military gear is solid, if slightly behind our state of the art. Their C&C structure is totally different than ours, though, which removes the need for complicated software defined radios. The Chinese do not have relatively independent small units like the US does.

Just like with North Korea, China is not a foregone conclusion. Another factor is that their deployed equipment may differ significantly from what is in the pipeline. Remember, almost every gee whiz high tech gadget that is out on the consumer market here is made in China, and many of these gadgets were, until Clinton took office, considered "dual-use" technologies, like GPS and high powered microprocessors. I think it is safe to assume that China has a whole new generation of equipment that they can bolt onto their older but still good quality aircraft and armor.
edit on 28-11-2010 by HattoriHanzou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I know I shouldn't question the gods that be - but (my favorite word) - what's the latest with NK - we had a bunch of huff and puff prior to the "war games" actual threats to boot on if the exorcizes went on as planned - then, we heard of some movement of missiles after the exorcizes began and then?? - that was all??? I don't know if I should be relieved - I am sort of really, really bewildered!!! not even a small stomp of the foot and small huff and puff - idk - Calm before the storm? or did I miss something? China have them in check?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Honestly we'll know when the S. Korean president addresses his nation today. If he says that S. Korea will return to 6 party peace talks on condition of blah blah blah, then you can safely bet the war games will wrap up without incident.

If he declares a state of war (Extremely unlikely) well, then I guess we'll have war.

And yeah I'd say china has N. Korea in check at this point

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Its MOnday there and they've started the second day of live fire exercises

source

Lets see where this takes us today!
edit on 28-11-2010 by GoalPoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Speech in 1h30. Should be interesting.

More news...

Pentagon now confirms there will be "live fire" exercises as part of the US-ROK naval drill in Yellow Sea. #Koreas 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Well duh. As we said earlier on this thread... but it was denied by the US military for days... what a BS lie it was...

In other news, there was an election in Okinawa yesterday... The incumbent was reelected and he's against the moving of the Okinawa US military base... meaning when the US army leaves, they will leave Okinawa for good... the other plans called for just the moving of the base on the Okinawa island....

China has dismissed U.S. requests for information on North Korea's shipment of missile parts to Iran via Beijing - Yonhap

Nice...

China not a 'responsible world power' : McCain
We'll see what they do when the NKorean delegation arrives in Beijing in less than 24 hours.

Don't reward NKorea 'bad behavior': US military chief
Yep.

The United States believes that Chinese authorities orchestrated a hacking campaign into computers of Google and Western governments, according to leaked documents cited Sunday by The New York Times.
Duh...

AUSTRALIA risks being entangled in fighting on the Korean Peninsula

Iran obtained missiles from North Korea: leaked US documents

That's it for now.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thanks Vitch, always look forward to your updates and input.

At the moment, I'm guessing the S. Korean president will accept the offer of resuming peace talks. No one wants war but we'll see.

new topics

top topics

<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join