It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Crisis - Updated as News come to hand

page: 105
<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Thanks for the link to Yonhap. For some reason I kept forgetting to actually check there. Figures, right?
I know they're ahead, so I'm surprised the board isn't full of people posting like madmen at the moment with various predictions and theories.
Of course I'm pumped full of nighttime cold medicine at the moment, so maybe I'm just not seeing the urgency, haha!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I predict..... nothing will happen, tomarrow will come and tomarrow will go, next week will come and next week will go, months to come we will still be at the same point, i dont believe anything like war will happen.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Your avatar beg to differ.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by killallbullies
It is SK who is genuinely pathetic in all the stunts it tried to perform. It's like a small fox tries to bully others because it thinks a (paper) tiger stands behind it. This is exactly what SK deserve: a spit right into its ugly face.

NK has not blamed EVERYONE else. NK blamed SK and US for this. And what's wrong with that? SK and US conducted navy drills right beside NK water despite repeated warnings from NK. So what do you think? Some countries in this world have the right to do military exercise in front of other countries' gates?

The exercises are in international waters. Anyone can do anything they want in those waters. NK decided that they want to dictate what happens there. Guess what? They lose, as evidenced by one of the US nuclear aircraft carriers steaming into the Yellow Sea as you read this.

Kim Jong il loves to throw down the victim card as justification for his temper tantrums. Every single time NK does something stupid, NK says "you made me!" when in reality, it's just some infantile ham-fisted effort to get the pretty girl's attention by poking her with a stick.

If anyone tried to come to my doorway and threaten me with his big guns, I would put a bullet in his brain without any hesitation.

Were I standing on the street, sidewalk or other public property (International Waters) and you "put a bullet in my brain", you would be guilty of murder and (rightfully) labeled a sociopath. The police (the World Community) would rightfully come and arrest your crazy ass (Kim Jong il).

Peace.

The irony between your screen-name and the last line of your missive seems to be lost on you....
edit on 11/27/2010 by atlguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
CNN Breaking News
BreakingNews@mail.cnn.com To: textbreakingnews
Date: Sat, Nov 27, 2010 7:44 pm

-- U.S., South Korea have begun navy exercises that North Korea calls
provocative, a South Korea military source says.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Awesome. Looks like we'll see if North Korea is actually insane enough to attack during said war games. A direct attack on the ships involved in them would be unlikely, I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did a light bomb spray on a few close-range SK military targets. Of course, for all I know, NK might nuke SK to dust

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
More news... not good ones.

A Chinese provocation against Japan while this is going on... yeah total coincidence uh?
I said earlier in this thread that China would probably do something like this...

Kyodo: 2 #China fishery patrol vessels spotted off disputed Senkaku islands. #Japan

And North Korea deployed anti-air missiles near the NLL.
N. Korea deploys SA-2 surface-to-air missiles near Yellow Sea border

edit on 27-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
More news... not good ones.

A Chinese provocation against Japan while this is going on... yeah total coincidence uh?
I said earlier in this thread that China would probably do something like this...

Kyodo: 2 #China fishery patrol vessels spotted off disputed Senkaku islands. #Japan

And North Korea deployed anti-air missiles near the NLL.
N. Korea deploys SA-2 surface-to-air missiles near Yellow Sea border

edit on 27-11-2010 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Obvious where this going. They'll down a SK plane and say it was in their airspace.....SK will say it was in THEIR airspace....back and forth, back and forth

At first I wasn't worried about this escalating, but I think now that SK has no choice but to retaliate strongly if anything else happens - their defense minister quit because he wasn't forceful enough, protesters in the streets want blood......not a good scenario. When this whole latest incident kicked off I was 90% sure that an all-out war wasn't on the cards. Now I've shifted to 50/50

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HattoriHanzou

I know it is popular to portray Kim Jong Il as "insane" but he is not. Please refer to Madeline Albright's account of her dealings with him. Conclusion? He is an ass and a jerk but not insane.

The question remains, is Jong-un a nutbag? Imagine being a general, soon to be dictator at the ripe old age of 27..

The unknown scares me more than the known. Jong-il is predictable for the most part...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
In this situation, the facts are simple:

You have a totalitarian state initiate a sneak attack for the second time this year, on a quasi=democracy. The quasi-democracy is backed by the US, while the totalitarian regime is backed by China. Will any of these things lead one of those parties to react in a manner which simply can not be ignored (or answered by rhetoric) by the other parties involved?

Let's consider this by who has the most to lose:

N. Korea - If it gets involved in an all-out war the only sure outcome of anything listed below is that they will cease to exist. The only question is how much blood it will cost the others before this happens. Remember though, that some dedicated extremist, see this as an honorable thing.

S. Korea - If it gets involved in an all-out war it may end up ruling a unified Korea peninsula, or at least be neighbor to a much different N. Korea, that will effectively be a Chinese colony. However, the cost for this will undoubtedly be casualties in the millions, and a battered economy that will take decades to repair. Yet, once started, they will undoubtedly finish it once and for all.

USA - If the US gets involved in an all-out war it will also take significant losses, mainly from the 25K troops already on station in the South. However, it will also be able to ensure that its Allie does not fail, and thereby regain some lost credibility among the world community that it can still win a war if it really tries. But most important it will gain influence world wide as China will have no good options, and end up looking like the real bad guy.

China - Its a lose-lose-lose lose all the way around if war breaks out. First, because it will be perceived that it could not control the one allie it has. Second, because for it to intervene in a serious war in Korea, it will have to deploy its archaic army into the conflict and demonstrate its general weakness on a modern battlefield. In fact, it could militarily lose the war. Third, by intervening on behalf of the North, it will demonstrate to the rest of the world that China will back an aggressive totalitarian regime that is anathema to the world's peaceful desires. Fourth, all its economic expansion will collapse as the world's democracies will find other places to buy from, as they will simply not want to purchase 'made in china' in the aftermath. Finally, and this is the biggest risk to China - its current communist regime may in fact collapse if its people refuse to support the war in mass. And remember, China is not going to risk a nuclear exchange with the US, where although it could hurt the US and maybe even cause up to 10 million deaths, that the US could literally obliterate Chinese industry, infrastructure, and military bases at will.

So the only true risk in this latest round of N. Korean insanity is if they figure they may actually have a chance to win a war against the US/S. Korea; or if they do some other demonstration so catastrophic (say a prolonged bombardment of Seoul which kills tens of thousands), that the S. Korean's MUST retaliate.

Just my 2 cents
edit on 27-11-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Not good...

Yeonpyeong being ordered evacuated. Few residents left on island anyway. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck

AFP photographer on Yeonpyeong says anyone still there ordered to take shelter in bunkers. 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Is the South preparing something? Or the South knows something that the North is preparing? Or just precautions...

I mean, you can't stay in a freaking bunker until wednesday...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Damn, I was just about ready to head for bed & now this, Watching MBN Live, korean news, but not being able to understand WTF they talk about aint ideal, If there's any korean speakers among us please feel free to help translate a little. They are definatly running a continuous piece about the war games

Link To TV Website - MBN Korean On Right

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

We've now got reliable info that both surface-to-surface & surface-to-air missiles being readied in N. Korea on the west coast. less than 5 seconds ago via TweetDeck

Oh dear. The North deploying ACTUAL SURFACE TO SURFACE MISSILES is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD.

This could be a prelude for an all out attack on the South with biological and chemical warheads.

This could lead us to WW3.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Artillery heard on Yeonpyeong according to #ROK military. We have no confirmation that the island is being attacked, however. 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

#DPRK could be continuing its own artillery drills from the other day but missiles on launch pad will make everyone nervous here. less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

DPRK reiterates threat to it back if territorial waters violated. USN says current exercise will not include live fire. #Koreas half a minute ago via TweetDeck

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Yonhap quoting #ROK military says "signs" of fresh shelling detected on Yeonpyeong. #Koreas

uh oh.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Secularist
If the USA would just send in the special forces, assassinate Kim Jong and his son, be in and out about it, then this entire scare will go away. No huge war will have to be fought, no economic investment, and the two people responsible for instigating a war will be good and gone.

Two words: power vacuum.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It seems there was a false alarm with the shelling of the island... good for now.

# Repeating info directly from Jason Strother on Yeonpyeong: all there ordered into shelters for 30 minutes. They're above ground again. less than 10 seconds ago via TweetDeck

# Again, no indication of fresh shelling on Yeonpyeong despite speculation to contrary. Sound of artillery in #DPRK (about 10km away) heard. 1 minute ago via TweetDeck

# The 1230KST ferry from Yeonpyeong to Incheon has been canceled. 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Those on Yeonpyeong being allowed to leave shelters. 5 minutes ago via TweetDeck

(URGENT) S. Korea's military lifts evacuation order on Yeonpyeong Island: official

Just spoke again to Jason Strother on Yeonpyeong who will board the 1230 ferry if he can. Other reporters also to head to Incheon as planned less than 10 seconds ago via TweetDeck

# Xinhua: #DPRK Supreme People's Assembly chmn. Choe Tae-bok to visit China from Tuesday. #Koreas less than 5 seconds ago via TweetDeck

# Chong Wa Dae (Blue House) confirms Pres. Lee met visiting top Chinese leaders today. #Koreas less than a minute ago via TweetDeck

So North Korea and South Korea to meet China... one to say ``back me up`` and the other to say ``back me up``... China will have to make a choice.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

So North Korea and South Korea to meet China... one to say ``back me up`` and the other to say ``back me up``... China will have to make a choice.

If that is true, then China is screwed in either way.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aslpride

If that is true, then China is screwed in either way.

Well they could always go for the ``neutral`` option... but consequences of that policy... probably wouldn't be good either.

China will have to do the hardest choice they've had to do in a while.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

In this situation, the facts are simple:

Excellent summary of the situation

Vitchilo - you need to calm down, man - you're going to have a stroke at this rate

new topics

top topics

<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join