It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret U.S. Spy Satellite Launches Into Orbit on Huge Rocket

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Sneak preview just for you

www.fas.org...

Now let me point out something

The cover... Says Vision for 2020 right?

]

This is a DSP satellite, they look for ballistic missile launches with an infrared detector. They have been up there since 1970: www.globalsecurity.org...

If you want to worry, then worry about the KH-12 keyhole satellites which can read your license plates from orbit and send back the image in real time.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by ziggy1706
i find it funny, its on the news as 'a secret'...well not anymore lol

The X-37 Secret space plane is also known now to be in orbit...

BUT where is it and what is it doing? Any idea?

Not meaning to interject in the conversation but i thought you might not have caught this yet..

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

No surprise at all. Here are some other interesting links:

www.wired.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

One of my favourites and also currently very public research organisations in regard to directed energy:

Raytheon: 2009 Budget - $5,942,575,316

Some of its projects:

www.raytheon.com...

www.raytheon.com...

A Raytheon-U.S. Navy team used a high power, solid-state laser combined with a Phalanx Close-in Weapon System to shoot down four UAVs off San Nicolas Island near California. Powered by electricity, the system offers an affordable and almost infinite magazine to stop incoming threats.

www.raytheon.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Yeah that Navy drone shoot down made it into the UFO sectors
Seems we were shooting down triangle UFO's

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I've just seen a thread, about that rocket, in a new german forum:
Thread @ omni.to

This is the official mission-patchof NROL-32:

I cant see any NWO-symbolism

edit on 23-11-2010 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grobi77
This is the official mission-patchof NROL-32:

AWESOME

I added that to Burntheships thread here
I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to be Destroyed by Me: The Pentagon’s Black World
www.abovetopsecret.com...

45th Space Wing... ULA United Launch Alliance

Formed in December 2006, United Launch Alliance (ULA) is a 50-50 joint venture owned by Lockheed Martin and The Boeing Company.  ULA brings together two of the launch industry’s most experienced and successful teams – Atlas and Delta – to provide reliable, cost-efficient space launch services for the U.S. government.  U.S. government launch customers include the Department of Defense, NASA, the National Reconnaissance Office and other organizations.

www.ulalaunch.com...

Here is a previous NRO patch

Here is the Information Awareness Office logo

ANNUIT COEPTIS – Origin and Meaning
www.greatseal.com...

Now look into this flashy thingie and repeat after me..

THERE IS NO ILLUMINATI

edit on 23-11-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TimBrummer

I agree with everything you said. However, DSP satellites have a very wide field of view so they can detect launches anywhere on the earths surface. The picture shows a narrow view which I do believe is needed and used for close up detailed work (determining the missile type and launch azimuth).

I suggest another interpretation, and that is a DSP like capability combined with a laser shoot down capability. That is what the red beam looks more like to me.

And as you pointed out, the DSP satellites where launched decades ago (originally in 1970).

In forty years, adding a laser capability does not seem too much of a stretch.
Maybe this is what the new huge secret satellite is.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by fah0436

I suggest another interpretation, and that is a DSP like capability combined with a laser shoot down capability. That is what the red beam looks more like to me.

And as you pointed out, the DSP satellites where launched decades ago (originally in 1970).

In forty years, adding a laser capability does not seem too much of a stretch.
Maybe this is what the new huge secret satellite is.

That "red beam" is a dramatization of the DSP infrared scanner picking up a missile launch. The satellite and detector rotates continuously while in orbit to broaden the field of view, like a radar dish does. On the other hand you are also correct that laser capability is now possible. That big satellite is not it though, actually it has a giant dish antenna to listen in on Taliban cell phone calls. How do you think Predator drones are able to target them? I used to launch similar radar imaging spy satellites from Vandenberg AFB.

I think the X-37 is a laser weapon test bed, it's wings allow it to make major orbit changes using much less fuel than a normal satellite, it does this with a small re-entry burn to get down into the upper atmosphere, makes a hypersonic aerodynamic turn, then does another small burn to boost back into orbit. That capability would allow it to lase any spot on earth in a short amount of time. It probably could do a half dozen major orbit changes like this before running out of fuel. Now you guys just need to figure out what runs the laser, the solar panel looks too small. Remember you heard it here first!!

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I do like your idea that the X-37 is a laser type testbed. If does make sense except the payload of the X-37 in only 500 lbs. Much too small for a decent laser capability. I am also curious what the power system for the laser would be. Solar panels would not be sufficient, I would think the system would need to be powered by a Nuclear reactor. But i believe that there are treaties and practical reason for preventing any type of nuclear material in outer space.

I tend to think the the X-37 is really a low earth orbit satellite repair and replenishment vehicle. Using robotic technology to do all of the work including replenishment of propellant (orbital changes), replacment of circuit boards and Lowest Repairable Unit's replacement of military satellites. It probably could be used to even repair such complex satlelites such as the Hubble telescope without the need for a human crew which would add a lot of saftey and therefore cost issues. The X-37 could also be used to retrieve data and info from secret satellites so those satellites would not need to expose themselves by transmitting data to a ground station,

And how sure are you that the new satellite is an ELINT recon bird? Satellite dish antennas don't weigh too much.And the launch rocket could carry 11 tons to GEO orbit.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I found a bigger version of the yellow-eye-logo (also as a mission-patch):

The eye isn't human. Reminds of a birds eye...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I do like your idea that the X-37 is a laser type testbed. If does make sense except the payload of the X-37 in only 500 lbs. Much too small for a decent laser capability. I am also curious what the power system for the laser would be. Solar panels would not be sufficient, I would think the system would need to be powered by a Nuclear reactor. But i believe that there are treaties and practical reason for preventing any type of nuclear material in outer space.

The current X-37 is just a testbed for a larger version which will have a high powered laser on it. That's why this one is an X-plane, it is just proof of concept. The treaty only outlaws nuclear weapons in space, nuclear reactors are no problem, remember that Russian satellite that crashed in Canada about 20 years ago with a nuclear reactor on board? It spread radioactive material everywhere.

I tend to think the the X-37 is really a low earth orbit satellite repair and replenishment vehicle.

A different version could do this, it doesn't have to be used for just one purpose.

And how sure are you that the new satellite is an ELINT recon bird? Satellite dish antennas don't weigh too much.And the launch rocket could carry 11 tons to GEO orbit.

When the dish is 150 feet across it will weigh a lot.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TimBrummer
I think the X-37 is a laser weapon test bed, it's wings allow it to make major orbit changes using much less fuel than a normal satellite, it does this with a small re-entry burn to get down into the upper atmosphere, makes a hypersonic aerodynamic turn, then does another small burn to boost back into orbit. That capability would allow it to lase any spot on earth in a short amount of time. It probably could do a half dozen major orbit changes like this before running out of fuel. Now you guys just need to figure out what runs the laser, the solar panel looks too small. Remember you heard it here first!!

Nah I heard it from the Russians first

www.russianspaceweb.com...

Film Caption
Firing a powerful laser, the LKS mini-Shuttle "zaps" a nuclear warhead in this intepretive animation, as it was envisioned in the 1980s by Vladimir Chelomei.

www.russianspaceweb.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TimBrummer But i believe that there are treaties and practical reason for preventing any type of nuclear material in outer space.

Well that is all well and good but what the heck are they going to do with the Nukes already up there? I hear tell they are taking them down... but no word on how or where they are going

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TimBrummer
On the other hand you are also correct that laser capability is now possible. That big satellite is not it though, actually it has a giant dish antenna to listen in on Taliban cell phone calls. How do you think Predator drones are able to target them? I used to launch similar radar imaging spy satellites from Vandenberg AFB.

Ah yes... well the point of posting that article was to show that on the one hand they are telling us these are 'future' projects, but on the other hand they show us that some of this stuff has already been up there for years.

We all know that we don't see everything that goes up, certainly not the payload. But once in a while people working in the field drop 'hints'
Like those non-existent nukes being removed now

I have been tracking another space based laser for some time... Maybe YOU launched this one

Space Based Laser (SBL) 1999

The laser...

Alpha High Energy Laser (HEL)

Megawatt class power levels were first achieved by the Mid-Infrared Advanced Chemical Laser (MIRACL) originally sponsored by the Navy, later by DARPA, and then by BMDO. Because the design was intended for sea level operation, the MIRACL laser does not achieve the optimum efficiency necessary for space-based operation. DARPA launched the Alpha laser program, with the goal of developing a megawatt level SBL that was scaleable to more powerful weapon levels and optimized for space operation. In this design, stacked cylindrical rings of nozzles are used for reactant mixing. The gain generation assembly achieves higher power by simply stacking more rings. In 1991, the Alpha laser demonstrated megawatt class power levels similar to MIRACL, but in a low pressure, space operation environment. Alpha demonstrates that multi-megawatt, space-compatible lasers can be built and operated.

The mirror... 4 meters diameter
Large Advanced Mirror Program (LAMP)

To demonstrate the ability to fabricate the large mirror required by an SBL, the Large Advanced Mirror Program (LAMP) built a lightweight, segmented 4 m diameter mirror on which testing was completed in 1989. Tests verified that the surface optical figure and quality desired were achieved, and that the mirror was controlled to the required tolerances by adaptive optics adjustments. This mirror consists of a 17 mm thick facesheet bonded to fine figure actuators that are mounted on a graphite epoxy supported reaction structure. To this day, this is the largest mirror completed for use in space. This LAMP segmented design is applicable to 10 m class mirrors, and the Large Optical Segment (LOS) program has since produced a mirror segment sized for an 11 m mirror. The large dimension of this LOS mirror segment approximates the diameter of the LAMP mirror

SBL - IFX original research page
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Space Based Laser (SBL) 2000

Megawatt Laser Test Brings Space Based Lasers One Step Closer Redondo Beach - April 26, 2000 In a demonstration of the rising maturity of high-energy lasers, TRW has conducted a test of the Alpha high-energy laser that produced a 25 percent increase in the laser's output power and improved its quality. The successful, six-second test of the megawatt-class Alpha was performed March 28 at TRW's Capistrano Test Site in Southern California as part of the Alpha Laser Optimization (ALO) program. ALO is funded jointly by the Air Force and Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (BMDO). The test marked not only the 22nd successful firing of the TRW-built Alpha, but also a significant step forward in the nation's disciplined maturation of the technology required to design and deploy the Space-Based Laser Integrated Flight Experiment (SBL IFX), an experimental, space-based missile defense system being developed by the Air Force.

www.spacedaily.com...

TRW Directed Energy Weapon (TRW has now sold its DEW section to Northrop Grumann)

Caption: "Turning swords into lasers"

Space Based Laser (SBL) 2001

Images of the model and deployment schedule taken at DEW symposium by spy cam SHHHHH You didn't see these...

The following set of photos were taken at the 4th Annual Directed Energy (DE) Symposium, 29 October - 1 November 2001, held in Huntsville, Alabama by a clandestine camera. This is the unveiling of the Space Based Laser (SBL)

Symposium link
www.deps.org...

Space Based Laser (SBL) 2002

Space-Based Laser Team Advances Design
With Successful Test

This image gives you a great scale reference

Team SBL-IFX, a joint-venture comprising TRW, Lockheed Martin and Boeing, is using integrated ground tests of the Alpha high-energy laser, its beam projection telescope and associated beam alignment and correction system to test design concepts for the Space-Based Laser Integrated Flight Experiment (SBL-IFX), an experimental space-based missile defense system proposed by the Air Force and the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization. In the photo, technicians from TRW and Lockheed Martin check the alignment of the primary (gold) and secondary (black "can on quadropod) optics of the beam projection telescope used in recent tests to gather data on how best to measure and maintain the pointing of the SBL-IFX beam director during high-energy lasing events. The telescope is located at TRW's Capistrano Test Site in Southern California in a special vacuum chamber that simulates the space environment. During on-orbit operations, the SBL-IFX beam director will be used to expand, project and focus a high-energy laser beam on a boosting missile target.

Many more links here
www.thelivingmoon.com...

Later that year, Newport News Shipbuilding was added to the company. And in 2002, Northrop Grumman acquired TRW, which became the Space Technology sector based in Redondo Beach, CA, and the Mission Systems sector based in Reston, VA, with sole interest in their space systems and laser systems manufacturing. The Aeronautical division was sold to Goodrich, and the automotive divisions were spun off and retained the TRW name.

en.wikipedia.org...

TRW Capistrano Test Site
www.as.northropgrumman.com...

PUTTING SPACE WEAPONS ON THE FAST TRACK

A U.S. space-based laser could attempt its first shootdown of a ballistic missile years earlier than expected, given accelerated funding.

www.aiaa.org...

So far I have updated you to 2002

Now you sure you Vandenberg boys can't help me out here?

edit on 24-11-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by grobi77
The eye isn't human. Reminds of a birds eye...

Eye of Horus.. often used in Rosicrucian (and some Masonic) symbolism

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by geo1066
Not meaning to interject in the conversation but i thought you might not have caught this yet..
www.space.com...

It's an open forum... please interject all you want

Excellent update. Will have to keep an eye on when the reports of it's return come out. If this is just the test version, can't wait to see the full scale one...

Wonder if it looks like this one?

Oh wait... that one was December 18, 1985

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon - thanks very much for all the Laser data.
Now a number of obvious questions.
1. If the SBL program was so open and public, what secret space based Laser capabilities did we actually have in 2002?
2. What advances - both public and secret have occurred since 2002?

There is one question that maybe you can answer for me. The triangular craft (presumably TR-3) photo.

Oh wait... that one was December 18, 1985

The time stamp on the photo appears to me to be 860112 which would be January 12, 1986. Where am i going wrong? Or were you joking?

I do think you're right. I suspect that Tim did launch some kind of Space Laser from Vandenburg without knowing it. Or more likely, the TR3-B can do the job, using a variety of weapons including Laser, EMP and ...!!! Especially if its been operational for over 20 years!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

The time stamp on the photo appears to me to be 860112 which would be January 12, 1986. Where am i going wrong? Or were you joking?

Shuttle mission STS61C launched Dec 18 1985.. that photo taken January 12, 1986 same mission
The rest will answer later

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join