It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salvation Army To New York:Pass That Gay Bill and We Pull Out of Your State!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Link to article

New York City — The Salvation Army is threatening to close soup kitchens for tens of thousands of New York's homeless and walk away from other projects if the city enacts legislation requiring firms that do business with New York to offer health benefits to the partners of gay staffers.

The evangelical faith is prepared to give up the $70 million a year in city funding it receives and pull out of New York entirely the New York Post reports.

Wow, such loving Christian principals, seen in action!! THIS is the true black core of the Salvation Army.

Instead of helping without conditions, the Salvation Army is using the poor and homeless to stand upon as they try to use their political clout to pressure the Mayor not to enact this legislation.

I will not put another penny in those little red buckets again. This so called charity would rather abandon the poor and homeless of New York, rather than comply with this legislation. I don't understand why they care. Surely if the Salvation Army is so opposed to gays they have no gays on their payrolls in the first place, and thus they would not be required to cover gays.

What are your thoughts on this?

Merry Christmas New York's poor and homeless, so soup for you!!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

My thoughts are that typically the Salvation Army is a champion of the poor, and does more to help the underdog than any other entity in the country.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I can't help but notice the irony of the title of this thread....

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
I can't help but notice the irony of the title of this thread....

Agreed, lol

On topic though, I think that their actions are despicable. Ive always given money to the salvation army, but with morals like these, Im going to think twice about donating anything. Same sex marriage shouldnt come into consideration on issues like these, its actually really immature, and ignorant.

Whats next, they will only "help out" straight people?

Geez

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by hotbakedtater

My thoughts are that typically the Salvation Army is a champion of the poor, and does more to help the underdog than any other entity in the country.
It looks like they could care less about one of the largest underdog groups in this country right now, the gays.

Why should the needy of NY have to suffer because the Salvation Army decided to put politics before people?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

This is the reason I don't care for the sentiment of this thread. It will do more harm than good.
As someone who understands what the SA people do on a daily basis, I can tell you, you have no idea how often I've called upon them to help with one person or another. You've no idea how much good they do.
They are an amazing religion/organization, without which, many people will suffer.

This is a disservice to them, and the people they serve.

I will have to have more information about this before I comment.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is an old blog article, apparently this was six years ago. I did nto notice the date on the article when I found it, and I could not find any current articles on the subject, so I guess this is moot now. But the fact they even considered it makes me regret giving them money in the past, and the Salvation Army is NOT the only charity that there is to donate money to.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Right on Salvation Army! I'm going to donate to them right now.
Gays and lesbians do not deserve anymore rights than they currently have now. There is no reason for them to marry or anything of that nature, that is a bible born act and it would be a huge middle finger to the bible and the large portion of this country that believes in it. Furthermore, it is a major cause of sexism. As people from the opposite sex tend to feel snubbed and rejected by a gay or lesbian relationship. Gay and lesbian relationships are best left private, and as far away from the public eye as possible.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Were the KKK to support charitable causes, should one back them and contribute financially?

It's kinda funny. I just spent a fair amount of time and venom composing a scathing indictment of the Salvation Army with regard to this issue. And I still think they're wrong and should do the right thing.

But the thing is, the Salvation Army, antique and quaint as they seem, is actually somewhat of a progressive organization, especially for the non-profit charitable world. Again, I disagree with their stance, completely, but this is one time in which I think it's important to separate their employment policies (under the influence of their religious-based mission) from their charitable activities.

The Salvation Army doesn't deny service to homosexuals. On the contrary, they are a major provider of, for example, AIDS-related assistance.

Some of my personal views are very opposed to some of the Salvation Army's. But I can see how they could become an amazing organization were they to make "meeting human needs" (the raison-d'être of their organization) their focus, rather than their organizational approval of the sexual preference of their employees.

I will continue to donate money to the Salvation Army, though I adamantly reject the entirety of the foundation of their mission. I have seen the good they are capable of doing with my own eyes. I am lazy and should donate to alternative non-profits with similar goals. But the thing the Salvation Army excels at over anything else is fundraising infrastructure and it's difficult not to contribute to them, especially during the holidays. And it'll make me feel good to know (in a topsy-turvy way) that little ol' evil atheist me has better character and a more evolved sense of humanity than the mighty Salvation Army.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I really have NO idea, but is it possible that they see the impossibility of continuing their charitable work from the drain of extra healthcare due to the new healthcare bill?? One of my uncles owns a med size corp in St,Louis.. and healthcare is already killing him.. with the bill, depending on how its implemented.. it would be devastating.

Its just an idea.. I have no clue how all of that works. Plus, I dont think there is true large non profit group out there..... including churches.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's hard to make the decision to boycott such an organization, since they really do a lot to help people in need. Though there are always other organizations and methods to help people.

Boycott them.

Originally posted by sliceNodice
There is no reason for them to marry or anything of that nature, that is a bible born act and it would be a huge middle finger to the bible and the large portion of this country that believes in it.

The bible doesn't decide our laws.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
The bible doesn't decide our laws.

I'm with you, but in a de facto way, their bible does decide our laws inasmuch as they elect these people who fear going against what insipid egos interpret and preach to them, in a monochromatic, fundamentalist manner.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I don't know either, but I don't think this has any relation to health care reform. As hotbakedtater mentioned, this is from several years ago. (Besides which, I can't fathom how a religious organization's insistence on applying their fundamentalist philosophy to their own organizational employment policies would necessarily be affected by health care reform. An increase in the number of people covered by including the spouses of homosexuals would, for virtually any organization, be minuscule ... it would be a quantum phenomenon within the Salvation Army.)

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Chicago pride dot com, eh? I recall my sister attending some of those parades. You go sis!

Old article, as tater had stated, I will continue to donate to whomever I feel needs it, it is the Christian thing to do.
Perhaps I should just bypass the middle man and give directly to the people whom need it.

new topics

top topics

join