It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resolution in US Congress backs India's UNSC bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Resolution in US Congress backs India's UNSC bidtimesofindia.indiatimes.com...

timesofindia.in diatimes.com

the US House of Representatives has appealed to the United Nations to take necessary steps to make New Delhi a permanent member of the Security Council.

The resolution, which has been sent to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs for necessary action, noted that India is the largest democratic country in the world in which all political views are freely expressed and respected.

and is one of the largest contributors of troops to UN-mandated peacekeeping missions, it said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-11-2010 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Link to article 23
www.un.org...

I'm curious, how does the U.S. Congress hold any weight in who becomes a permanent member?
I know that the U.S. is a permanent member but having Congress in it?
Maybe I don't understand the membership.

In any case, yes of course they get pushed by U.S. every year but this year seems a little different.

But I actually hope this doesn't happen despite me being indian.

The UN Security council's permanent members are also the biggest arms dealers on the planet.

This means that the people in charge of world peace are the biggest arms buyers/sellers on the face of the planet.

That's not exactly a crowd a country like India would really fit into.

timesofindia.in diatimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Modern Acedemia
the point that the members of the security counsel are the largest arms dealers was the first thing that crossed my mind also. I don't know what will happen in the future but I will always hope for peace.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Can anyone give me a brief history of US/India relations? The two countries never seemed especially close to me, even though India is a democracy and has been doing business with America for some time. As I recall, India became friendly with the USSR shortly after its independence from the UK; I'm not sure what became of this relationship or how India warmed up to Washington.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
Can anyone give me a brief history of US/India relations? The two countries never seemed especially close to me, even though India is a democracy and has been doing business with America for some time. As I recall, India became friendly with the USSR shortly after its independence from the UK; I'm not sure what became of this relationship or how India warmed up to Washington.

India became close to USSR after USA had made Pakistan a Member of the CENTO, to encircle USSR in Central Asia. India expressed discomfort to US at that time, because Pakistan was using the Money given by US as a part of CENTO membership, in buying arms and sending in terrorists to kill Kashmiri civilians.US ignored India's plea and told India to get over it, and India became very close to USSR.
edit on 6-8-2011 by sai1711 because: what US told India

new topics

top topics

join