It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Orwell - Animal Farm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Whenever George Orwell is mentioned here on ATS it is usually in the same breath as his 1949 dystopian novel 1984. Which is only understandable considering that many of its terms and concepts have become contemporary vernacular, not to mention the fact that it spawned it's own term for a complete societal condition; 'Orwellian.'

However, Orwell's other masterpiece is also a dystopian novel (or novella if we're being completely accurate) that we can learn a lot from - Animal Farm.

The novel addresses not only the corruption of the revolution by its leaders but also how wickedness, indifference, ignorance, greed and myopia destroy any possibility of a Utopia. While this novel portrays corrupt leadership as the flaw in revolution (and not the act of revolution itself), it also shows how potential ignorance and indifference to problems within a revolution could allow horrors to happen if smooth transition to a people's government isn't satisfied.

Source

So I thought that Animal Farm deserved it's own thread for those who aren't fully conscious of it's theme and message. Below is the 1955 British animated film version of Orwell's novel.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Be warned though; the film version does not accurately portray Orwell's original. This is, in part, because of the film's main sponsors...the CIA.

The CIA's choice of George Orwell's Animal Farm to produce as an animated film almost makes sense. Almost, but not quite, because the book's ending shows both the pigs and humans joined together as corrupt and evil powers. To use Animal Farm for its purpose, as Stonor Saunders reveals, the CIA's Office of Policy Coordination, which directed covert government operations, had two members of their Psychological Warfare Workshop staff obtain the screen rights to the novel. Howard Hunt, who became infamous as a member of the Watergate break-in team, is identified as head of the operation.

While it isn't clear who suggested the ending used, it was certainly what the CIA needed. To meet the CIA's objectives, the ending was changed to show that only the pigs had become totally corrupt. The film ends with other animals mounting a successful revolt against their rulers. There is no mention of the humans in the film's conclusion.

Source

So, if you want to get a true sense of what Orwell had intended, read his original novel. However, if you wish to see how the CIA played dirty tricks with our culture, watch the propaganda piece that is the above film version.

Both versions have an equal amount to teach us, but as Orwell would say, some versions are more equal than others

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's been a few years since I've read animal farm and I had forgotten they made a cartoon. Thanks for posting it. It's an important part of Orwell's work and a easy read for anyone who hasn't read it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Animal Farm is a great book and I've read it three or four times. While it is perhaps overshadowed by 1984, Animal Farm is becoming, I think, strangely more relevant. It does describe out times and I did feel a correlation with the Bush administration.

CX

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread LF, starred and flagged.

I'm almost embarrassed to say i've heard lots about it, but never watched or read it.

That changes today.

Cheers.

CX.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Linky to the book for those who don't have it.

Good reading, I may go read it again now that you got me thinking of it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I saw this film when i was a teenager, dont remember orwell having anything to do with it though?

Oooops, just remembered, it was the other Animal Farm!

(Just kidding)

Great book.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I remember having to read and analyse this book at school. It's a good book with powerful themes and impressive philosophical ideas about power, control and corruption. The fate of Boxer always angered me greatly when I was younger, but at least it shows the dangers of naively conforming to a leadership that is corrupted by power.

The book also coined the popular term "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." Other nouns have been swapped with "animals" to achieve the same effect of the original - rules and laws apply only to average/working class members of a population but not those deemed higher up on the political heirachy. Effectively those in charge have the power to control a population using rules and regulations they need not adhere to themselves.
edit on 24/11/2010 by Dark Ghost because: grammar

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Aha, read this book in Year 8 I believe.
The English curriculum made it in our school, that this book was essential to read...and for very good reasons.

I also remember being Napoleon when we tried to turn it into a blah....

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A slight bit off topic but for any Pink Floyd fans out there the album Animals was loosely based off of this book and makes a great record which happens to be one of my more favorites by the band.

I do find Animal Farm is much more relevant today than ever and is indeed a great read. Odd coincidence that I ended up reading it for the first time about a month ago and then suddenly people start talking about that book on ATS and a few other sites I go to. Makes me feel like I was on to something

new topics

top topics

join