Basically, all the worlds Monarchs are apart of this order, which originally was established a Roman Catholic order with members who had to be Roman
The current membership consists of:
* Juan Carlos I, King of Spain (b. 1938) sovereign of the order
* Carlos, Duke of Calabria (b. 1938)
* Constantine II, King of the Hellenes (b. 1940)
* Felipe, Prince of Asturias (b. 1968)
* Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden (b. 1946)
* Jean, Prince of Luxembourg (b. 1921) Grand Duke of Luxembourg (1964–2000)
* Akihito, Emperor of Japan (b. 1933)
* Beatrix, Queen of the Netherlands (b. 1938)
* Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark (b. 1940)
* Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom (b. 1926)
* Albert II, King of the Belgians (b. 1934)
* Harald V, King of Norway (b. 1937)
* Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (b. 1937) Tsar of Bulgaria (1943–1946) and Prime Minister of Bulgaria (2001–2005)
* Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand (b. 1927)
* Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (b. 1955)
* Adolfo Suárez González, Duke of Suárez (b.1932) Prime Minister of Spain (1976–1981)
* Abdullah, King of Saudi Arabia. Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques (b. 1924)
* Javier Solana (b. 1942)
* Víctor García de la Concha (b. 1934)
One very notable figure there is Abdullah, King of Saudi Arabia, with a very cryprtic title "the custodian of the two holy mosques".
What exactly does that mean? This order is a Roman Catholic order, which ironically is named after a pagan symbol - golden fleece of colchis. What
does this suggest about the Catholic Church, and Europes nobility? Even more interesting; what does this say about the relationship between Rome and
Islam? Abdullah is tasked as a 'custodian' of the two holy mosques, namely, the Masjid al-Haram in Mecca and the Al-Masjid al-Nabawi in Medina.
Theres a theory out there, and it does sound sort of strange, but bear with me, that the church of Rome created Islam. Theres both a socio-political
as well as an esoteric significance behind the churches doing this. The former allowed them to gain control of the Eastern and north African world,
while the latter plays into a philosophical tenet which underlies the Roman Churchs religion, namely, gnosticism. The dualism of the Christian west
and Islamic east to eventually merge at the 'end of days' to supplant the Judaic hold of Jerusalem.
Anyways. I find Abdullah clearly being the odd man out in this order. But in either case, this is clearly the most powerful body on earth - with every
reigning monarch being represenative. Also, Juan Carlos is the head of the order - with he Queen of England subordinate to him. Spain is known for
having very close to ties to the Vatican, and in fatc, the vaticans millenium basillica, the sagrada familia, is being built in Barcelona, scheduled
to be completed some in 2026.
Heres a pic of this gaudy structure.
Anyways. this does suggest a top down heirarchy between the Vatican, Juan Carlos, and the remaining monarchs in the order of the golden fleece.
What do you think of this?
edit on 22-11-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)