It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yay or Nay, Astronomy In High School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hi, I am going to college for Astronomy.

I am wondering what the general feelings are from our fellow ATS members on teaching astronomy in schools.

The closest thing to astronomy in my local high school was a planetarium that was not very popular, maybe if they had telescopes and the tools to teach, more people would be aware of space and everything that goes along with it.

To me, space is a BIG thing that is not taken seriously, or barely even mentioned in public let alone school.

So, yay or nay ATS?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

As interesting as I find astronomy, it should be an elective course, at least so far as anything other than basic astronomical information is concerned.

When, or if, the student feels a need to learn more? Then by all means, allow them to take the course. But nothing manditory.

MHO, of course...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yes, three course I wanted were astronomy, sociology and political science, those would have been on my list. And I want my kids to take them.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Its one of those subjects that kids dont get enough of IMO, i know i didnt. I remember the basics being taught in primary school and in secondary school it was barely touched upon, i would of loved to have learned more regarding astrnomy. At least it gives me something to fill my time up with now though

link   

I SAY YAY! Mostly because I wanted to go to university for Astronomy and then I learned that it would be roughly 6 years of math and scientific formulas (ughhh). Alas im shure there is also some very practical uses/reasons for applying Astronomy to the average high school. Nowadays many kids/young adults haven't really been looking for solutions for any of our problems in this day of age. Heck most of them don't even know what our problems are . . . And I believe its the little things like this that contribute to the "dumbing down"of todays younger society. If they don't understand whats going on above there head how can they understand whats going on around them, and if they dont know that how can they even comprehend where to start to realise whats going on inside there head!

Just mah 2 cents

link   
Thank you for your input

I forgot to mention, It would not be mandatory, simply if you wanted to join an astronomy class you could, and not be forced to.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I say YAY!

However I have to also agree with Seagull, that it is not to every one's taste so therefore it is more of a personal pursuit.

I think university is the best time to study it academically or in your spare time. But if High schools had after school clubs with really great equipment I think that could work quite well, and also look good on your CV or college application. Maybe get some guest speakers into schools occasionally too. It is a much better pursuit to say, media studies IMO.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Yes!!

Judging by the state of ignorance observed, now that the InterWebz are everywhere, and people display their lack of astronomy knowledge constantly....it s a tragic circumstance that the lack of education has created.

However....with the ever-increasing load of curricula that need to teach so many things, as was pointed out, it will likely also remain elective.

I recall, though (is it the same today? Probably is...) electing an Astronomy class was tantamount to pinning the word "NERD" in big, bold letters on the front of your shirt (or blouse). "Astronomy Clubs" were viewed with similar disdain as "Chess Clubs", at least in my experience all those years ago....so, it took (takes) a lot of personal fortitude to "buck" the usually childish "popularity" cliques, and overcome the inevitable teasing and stereotyping.....

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Astronomy is a great field of study that requires an advanced mind to fully comprehend.

I say it is a requirement for the last year or two of high school...people need to truely understand just how big the universe is and how earth is not in its center first off...

I think astronomy is equal to importance as something like history actually. the stars are our future...we need our youth to have a desire to explore more about space...that is the only way we are getting off this all eggs in one basket ball we are currently on.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Of coarse astronomy should be taught in schools!

Personally, I think astronomy is a very interesting subject, however I wouldn't want to make a career out of it. Space is so huge that the human brain simply cannot process it's immense size. We know so little, and I personally feel that it would be hard to make a career out of something with that given. Yet I still like learning about it, whether it be in class or a TV special. As I am in 8th grade, I enjoy learning about space in school and am glad that it's available.

So I think that in junior high, astronomy should be mandatory - as a part of integrated science. This is so kids can be introduced to the subject and see if they're interested in it. But in high school, it should be selective.

But there are people out there who are up for the challenge. For example, my little cousin is 11, and has some emotional problems, but is still a very bright kid. He loves learning about space. He reads books and watches things about it all the time. He probably knows more about space than me! When he grows up he wants to be an astronomer, and I know he'll be great at it. So I want him, and people like him, to have classes on astronomy open to them.
edit on 22-11-2010 by nicolee123nd because: adding

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

people need to truely understand just how big the universe is and how earth is not in its center first off...

Yeah you learn that we're not the center in like 3rd grade..
And you cannot learn how large the universe is. It's simply too large for the human rain to process. That's all you really need to know.

edit on 22-11-2010 by nicolee123nd because: vxfgsrth

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd

people need to truely understand just how big the universe is and how earth is not in its center first off...

Yeah you learn that in like 3rd grade..

Was that in bible school?

Anyway, yes... it should be taught, but as an elected course or as a part of geography. Let's call it exogeography.

edit on 22-11-2010 by momoney because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by momoney

Originally posted by nicolee123nd

Anyway, yes... it should be taught, but as an elected course or as a part of geography. Let's call it exogeography.

edit on 22-11-2010 by momoney because: (no reason given)

That is an interesting idea, so people would learn about our planet, and what our planet is surrounded by
edit on 22-11-2010 by Quasar_La-Zar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I agree with club or science club approach because supplying an accredited teacher and supplies from a system that is already messed up seriously won't fix basic problems like reedin rightin and rithmatik. which are needed to study astronomy properly.

top topics

join