It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘The Dark Tower’ Movie Trilogy & TV Series On the Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
screenrant.com...

But fear not Dark Tower fans as Deadline is reporting that Universal Pictures and NBC Universal have landed a deal to bring King’s epic to life. If it wasn’t exciting enough that King’s “magnum opus” is finally being adapted (for real this time), the adaptation will come to us in the form of not only a whole trilogy of movies but also a coinciding TV series.

Ron Howard will direct the first movie and series and King does have a hand in this. Anyone who has seen some of the movies that butchered King's work will understand the reasoning behind that. Anyone remember The Lawnmower Man?

Sounds cool to me. I never really thought this would ever get made into a film version but these guys seem to have a plan so we shall just have to see what happens. I might even go see this in a theater, something I rarely do.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Ooo wow, never thought I'd see this book series made to film/screen
It was an epic series ... I just hope they don't butcher it!

- Phoenix

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Dad-a-cham? Did-a-chim? Did-a-chee?

I am cautiously optimistic on this one...I am not sure if there is a way to fit all of this into a trilogy! I will, however, be first in line when it hits the theaters!!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'd be interested in seeing this. I loved the books. I just hope they don't ruin it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Get the effsnip out!
I just read the first book two days ago!
While reading it I tried to picture which actor would be suited for the part of the gunslinger.
The only one that came to mind was Josh Holloway who played Sawyer in LOST.

Directed by Ron Howard? I'm not sure that is a good thing. How about you guys?
How about Zack Snyder who directed 300?

edit on 22-11-2010 by GuyverUnit I because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yes, we can only hope they don't butcher it. I remember going to see J. Park 2:The Lost World when it came out and walked out of the theater cursing and screaming. as it didn't resemble the book at all. MIchael Crichton even worked on that, although how he let that tripe come out of his book I'll never know.

Lesson one: Never read the book before seeing the movie. You will always be disappointed.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Lesson one: Never read the book before seeing the movie. You will always be disappointed.

Yeah, but then you have the problem like I am having reading Lord of the Rings where I can't get the movie out of my head while reading and imagine it my way. Now I will always regret not reading the books in my youth when I should have.

Lesson Two: Never see the movie before reading the book. You will never have your own vision of it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
this will have to take many years, many people, and a whole lot of money. i know they already did The Stand, which was my favorite SK book, but i thought the tv miniseries was horrible in comparison. the dark tower series was my 2nd favorite read of SK, but yeah, i am wondering how they are going to recreate the world of the Dark Tower series. if they want to make it as wonderful as my imagination did it, it is going to be one big budget movie. i can see george clooney in the role.. i hope they gather the right ka-tet!
i actually loved lawnmower man... when it came out all those years ago

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Ron Howard seems to want to do this so that's a good sign. If he's going to direct a movie and a tele series then that shows a level of commitment that this project needs. Who knows? I never thought Tom Cruise would make a decent Lestat. I thought a musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer would suck, but it didn't.

We will just have to wait and see.

I don't think the guy that played Sawyer would a good fit for Roland. I'd see him as Eddie, though, bitching and moaning while trying to kick his heroin habit. Sam Elliot as Roland, that seems to work, old and grizzled. Not sure who would play Detta/Odetta/Susannah.Eddie Murphy as Blaine the Mono. Someone like Gwynny or Scarlett Johannson as Susan - she's gotta be hot as that's the only sex appeal of the whole series. R. Lee Ermey as Cort.

That's just off the top of my head as I never really thought about who would play the parts. Most likely they will get nobody's like they did with Harry Potter, as they would have to have a pretty big commitment.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Sounds like a catch-22. Can't read the book before seeing the flick and can't watch the flick if you are going to read the book. Huh.

Luckily for me, I hated the Lord of the Rings. So damned boring I couldn't get through the second book. Too long, nothing happens and it's just a bunch of walking. So, obviously I am not going to take a weekend to see three movies based on books that sucked.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I remember those books !!!

Though I got kinda lost in the second one, I remember it gettng a little trippy.

The first one was amazing though .....

The man in black and the gunslinger ?? you can't get much more epic than that.

Unfortunately Hollywood might do something like cast Zac Efron as Roland and play heavy metal during the action scenes.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I highly doubt that Ron Howard would cast Zac Efron in any movie!

I don't see any big time Hollywood actors being cast for these rolls. First they shoot the first movie, then follows a season of a TV series, then movie 2, season 2, movie 3. Thats a big commitment and a lot of time.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I still remember the day I finished the last book, then flew into a rage and tossed it into the fireplace lol. Was a great series, I read all but the last one a few times. I hope they do a good job bringing it to the screen.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

My dad stopped reading at Wizard and Glass. He got ticked at that book.

I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I absolutely love the books! Time to download them onto my Nook now!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I still remember the day I finished the last book, then flew into a rage and tossed it into the fireplace lol. Was a great series, I read all but the last one a few times. I hope they do a good job bringing it to the screen.

Haha, i'm with you there!

I'm re reading the series now and just started Wizard and Glass. So far i'm finding a lot of new things that I either missed or didn't visualize well enough the 1st time around.

Interesting casting choice to play Roland but I think Javier Bardem is a good enough actor to pull it off. I can't wait to see who they get to play the rest of his ka-tet

Also very much looking forward to his next book that takes place (I believe) between The Wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

OH wow, I didn't hear about it until now. Looks like it is oing to fill in between wizard and glass, and wolves of calla. Won't be out till next year sometime though. Awesome.

new topics

top topics

join