It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Problem With Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If a scientist told you we were alone in this universe, would you believe them? So I was laying in bed last night and couldn't sleep. So I decided to write, I'm going to share one of my writings with you to see what you think and to see what your own thoughts are if you don't mind sharing.

Scientists are intriguing individuals. They support claims that they have created "today" but deny the possibility of the claims that could be made "tomorrow." I have nothing against scientists in general, they are magnificent people and have done a lot for each and every one of us. The thing is though, they are only the scientists of "today," so they are limited in their understandings based on the knowledge and numbers they have in hand at the moment. Many people in a sense worships their ideas, in which I am referring to people believing anything they say. Like I mentioned before, they are smart individuals but they are stuck in "today." I certainly can not provide anything better than way they have to say, but the thing is, many are close-minded. If you went up to many of them, and asked them if life exist on other planets, more than likely the answer is going to be no, and a possible laugh. Because they have not been there to do any research. Keeping an open mind about this, and being able to say possibly, is the key here, only then will you have the determination and hope of retrieving some data on your own free will. 200 years ago, one could ask a scientist if it was possible to fly. Their answer would most certainly be no. But what exactly is flight? If one was to visit space of where there were no gravity, would one be able to fly? For what is fly and float but to get from one place to another without the use of legs? Could it also not be possible for one to have wings? It certainly is possible if genetics from human species where merged with that of a species having wings. I am not saying the person would live, I am simply stating it is genetically possible through mutation. So I ask you, If a scientist tells you other life in an infinite universe and its possibility of visiting other planets, such as our own, is impossible or highly unlikely, would you believe them?

Source:
What proof do I have, you may ask?
The greatest proof of all.
"Yesterday"
edit on 11/22/2010 by kyrebelyell2004 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You have to be joking?
Most scientist will be like "Well, there are millions of planets, and such and such...so there is a possibility"

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think you're quite wrong.

Scientists working at the edge of ignorance most definitely live in the 'tomorrow'. Their aim is to learn new information, to solve the riddles/mysteries of the universe.

Lets take the one example you give: life on other planets. A quick search shows the very first link to give this...

Professor Stephen Hawking, cosmologist: I think it is likely life exists elsewhere in the universe, but I think intelligent life must be very rare. Otherwise we would probably have been visited. I would be very wary of contacting another civilisation, but we have probably given the game away with the television signals we've been sending out for the last 50 years. But it will be some time before they can reply or get to us.

dinky-link

While at school and university they teach students what the current understanding and issues are, research is always rolling onwards. Indeed, ignorance (i.e., what we don't know) is what these scientists feed on.

The best way to see scientists is like a 7yr-old ADHD child, always getting bored of the old and seeking out new stimulation.

Cheers.
edit on 22-11-2010 by melatonin because: when I was young It seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I never one said that all scientists think the same way. I was simply implying scientists with closed-minds would say this. The scientists that rely on proof, evidence as we know it, to imply such a thing. Just because we are unaware of the existence of anything extra-terrestrial doesn't mean its not in existence. I am simply speaking hypothetically that many scientists [with closed-minds] will discourage this. I'm sorry if you that you saw this post as a flame against scientists, as I stated before, and I must do again so you may comprehend this. I have nothing against scientists, this is my opinion created around midnight last night. My opinion refers to the mass hysteria of the ones believing in ufology is a laughing stock to many close-minded scientists because there is no evidence. I didn't say we were on the brink of finding life, as we may be. But lets just say, the open-minded scientists will be first to find these as the possibilities are endless. Everything we know, everything we learn will one day be changed more than likely. The earth isn't flat anymore, our planet is nothing special, and we are not alone. Take this as you will, but if your mind cant comprehend the point I created through the original post, then I'm sorry. I also did not state that all scientists will say the same thing, and your point about most scientists will say something, your thought is nothing more than a speculation as I was giving one as well. When I refer to this

I certainly can not provide anything better than way they have to say, but the thing is, many are close-minded. If you went up to many of them, and asked them if life exist on other planets, more than likely the answer is going to be no, and a possible laugh. Because they have not been there to do any research.

You see after mentioning that many are close-minded, I then went on to add an example.

I can't believe I had to even go over that. Wow.
edit on 11/22/2010 by kyrebelyell2004 because: to add on.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kyrebelyell2004

The problem with scientists is that they are human, at least "our" scientists.

Just out of curiosity, how many scientists do you know?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I can honestly say that personally I know 0 scientists, none, I know people that research things, but are not classified as scientists.

I am simply stating by observations I've gathered since my own life started. Many, I will not say most, like to be right instead of simply theorizing, as everyone does. I could also go on to say that many of them may simply believe in somethings they deny due to humiliation from the public, mainly media and government officials. I cannot say what scientists think, I'm not a mind reader. I just wish people in general would be more open-minded. I love skeptics, because they neither deny or believe in something until its proved. But debunkers, and the ones who always think everything can be explained by the information we have now, are the ones I don't necessarily agree with. Don't get me wrong, many things can be explained, by also, many things can be recreated. For example, Fact or Faked, It's all about publicity, trying to get those rating up there, in doing so, debunking the idea of the things they review. They can look at something, do something so that it seems similar to original presentation, and call it a hoax [In a since, this makes them close-minded because of believing it can only be one thing] . Like I said, anything can be recreated.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I know quite a few scientists, and not one of them fits the picture you painted of them in your OP.

Nice avatar, though.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I agree with you.
they uset to say the sun circled the earth.
that the earth is flat.

they said the universe will eventually shrink to nothing.
they have had to change this.
as they have found that the edge of space is older than they thought.
like the universe has a edge!!!
they say there is not all the mass in the universe there should be.
so they Made up Dark Mater!!!

they have made up black holes.
they say nothing can go faster than light.
oh yes, just like the sound barrier.
what is light what is gravity.
they have no idea.
they just give you a lot of numbers and science.
they just make it up with what they have.
but there mistakes are forgotten.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

they uset to say the sun circled the earth.

Name one scientist who ever said the Sun circles the Earth.

that the earth is flat.

Name one scientist who ever said the Earth is flat.

they said the universe will eventually shrink to nothing.

Name one scientist who ever said the universe will eventually shrink to nothing.

as they have found that the edge of space is older than they thought.

Name one scientist who ever said the universe has an edge.

they say there is not all the mass in the universe there should be.

Name one scientist who ever said the universe is less massive than it should be.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I've never heard a single scientist in modern times come out and say there is no life on other planets. Also, you're confusing skepticism with closed-mindedness. Scientists are open-minded IF evidence can be provided and the only reason they toss out pseudoscientific ideas such as alien visitation, bigfoot, etc is because the evidence does not back those thing sup. Scientists would love it if aliens were really among us or if a hominid species had survived undiscovered here in America for so long, it would be a great discovery BUT they need to actually make the discovery and find the evidence before they accept the ideas.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Name one scientist who ever said the universe is less massive than it should be.
Nice job calling out all the untruths about what scientists claimed, I don't know of any scientists that made those claims, except for the last one, sort of.

www.livescience.com...

Editor's Note: We asked several scientists from various fields what they thought were the greatest mysteries today, and then we added a few that were on our minds, too. This article is one of 15 in LiveScience's "Greatest Mysteries" series running each weekday.

Scientists trying to create a detailed inventory of all the matter and energy in the cosmos run into a curious problem—the vast majority of it is missing.
About 96% is of the universe is "missing", seems to be the scientific consensus.

To the OP, you are pretty outrageous. You don't know even one single scientist yet you make a thread about what scientists think, I don't think you could be more wrong. More than half of the scientists I know think ET life is possible or likely, though they do tend to scoff at the idea any of it has visited Earth. But they don't scoff at its existence.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks, Arbitrageur. At the risk of splitting hairs,

About 96% is of the universe is "missing", seems to be the scientific consensus.

I thought about this a bit before calling buddha on it. No scientist has ever, as far as I know, said the universe is less massive than it should be. What they say is that the visible mass doesn't account for the measured mass. In other words, the mass is obviously there, but it is invisible. Hence, I believe, the term 'dark matter'.

The universe isn't less massive than it should be; it is more massive than it appears.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I knew your reply would be something like that, which I agree with.

Which reminds me of this:

groups.yahoo.com...

A reporter once asked Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, "How does the world look
in the highest state of consciousness?"

"You see that everything is exactly as it should be" said Maharishi.

The reporter hesitated before asking, "But why then, are you working so
hard to improve the situation?"

Maharishi smiled. "Because that is exactly as it should be."
So yes there is exactly the amount of matter there should be. What is missing is not mass, but understanding on our part. I don't think scientists claim any mass is missing when talking to each other, when they know that's not really the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if they said it to a layperson to simplify the concept down to layman's terms.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyrebelyell2004
I can honestly say that personally I know 0 scientists, none, I know people that research things, but are not classified as scientists.

I am simply stating by observations I've gathered since my own life started.

Then how can you make observations about people if you've never actually met them or read their writings?

I know a lot of scientists and I work for several of them as a volunteer. They picture you paint is one that so-called fringe websites promote about scientists by writers who haven't met any scientists, either. Perhaps you might like to get to know some real scientists before deciding how they think.

(sorry if I come off as snorky. You won't BELIEVE how many times I've been told "how scientists think" by people who aren't scientists. And when I tell them they're wrong and that I'm a scientist, work with scientists, and have been hanging around my fellow scientists and sharing ideas with them for decades -- they STILL tell me I'm wrong. It's aggravating.)
edit on 23-11-2010 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd
That's why I called this OP outrageous.

Making a post about people the OP knows nothing about is pretty lame.

edit on 23-11-2010 by Arbitrageur because: corrected post

top topics

join