It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dwarf planet Eris reveals its secrets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Space. Photo: Flickr.com/nasa1fan/MSFC/cc-by-nc

Scientists consider it an event when they get a chance to reveal the secrets on the periphery of our Solar System. In fact, a few days ago they had a rare opportunity to make the parameters of Eris more precise. This is the most massive dwarf planet in the Solar System, which rotates around the sun far away from the orbits of main planets. Scientists initially described it as the Solar System’s tenth planet.

Several observatories in the western hemisphere prepared to observe a stellar occultation by Eris, but only three telescopes in Chili, which fell into the stripe of the shadow of Eris, could watch it. The time interval that covered the star varied from 27 to 76 seconds. The difference proved to be very important because it helped to calculate the diameter of Eris knowing the distances between the telescopes, says a Russian astronomer Vladimir Surdin.

Astronomers have discovered over one thousand objects on the periphery of the Solar System. The largest of these are Eris, Makemake and Haumea, which are known as dwarf planets. Pluto was also considered a dwarf plant depriving it of the planet number nine. The telescopes located on the mountains of northern Chili discovered the majority of these objects

It’s impossible to study in detail the dwarf planets using telescopes that give only their blurred images. Astronomers calculate their trajectories against a background of stars and indirectly their mass. No one knows what the surface of Pluto is, although it was discovered 80 years ago. In fact, the distance to Eris from the Earth is two times more than that to Pluto.

Dwarf Planet Eris and satellite Dysnomia

Source: english.ruvr.ru...

Here you go Space Fans. Just gotta love it and the abilities of man do figure this stuff out and to document it for all.

I wonder what else is out there, beyond Eris? How long will it be before we can travel there and investigate the region? I say a 1000 years. May as well be.

I really enjoy these types of stories. makes me happy to know my good tax dollars are hard at work.

Notice in the aricle where these shots were taken from? A lot going on there too.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Why is the photo of Eris an apple?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
wow, eris looks like a big apple!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

With leaves too.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It's where the secrets lie....... With the Apple of course

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

It's the best I could do at the time. LOL. I didn't think it would cause a stir-but on second thought-I can see your concern.

Hmmm. Well, I will leave it up to the comments posted. I like it this way. Should be a big red one though.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Will there be a Microsoft planet as well as the Apple one? Or did the MS one crash and that's where the asteroid belt came from?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Maybe you'll understand and/or like this one better than the apple one.

The apple represents a little bigger I think but..

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I didn't even know dwarf planets existed, guess you learn something new everyday. Kallisti, hmmm? Is that like the Greek name of the planet? Golden apple should be Red, check...

Pluto is still a planet to me, the guy who found it came from my almamader!
Looks like Eris revealed a great deal of secrets, and only the voice of Russia knows.

edit on 22-11-2010 by leira7 because: yes, that's right Ghandi sp sp tee-hee ^_^

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
Will there be a Microsoft planet as well as the Apple one? Or did the MS one crash and that's where the asteroid belt came from?

OMG I just laughed so hard I choked.

OP awesome! I love pics of space and the planets. I think we might get to those places sooner than 1000 years. Look how far we have come in 100 years.

S&F

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

yeah, I definitely don't think it will take a thousand years to get there, give our Rocket Scientists a little bit of credit here. They are Geniuses after all. I'd love to see more pics of Eris too!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
i am sorry, but what are the secrets it revealed? i read the link, and i had read about it through nasa before. everything i have read describes it as a massive meteor basically, that may or may not be capable of life. i am completely fascinated by these type of discoveries, i just want to know more about it and it's importance to us, or lack of.. i still think we need to focus our space missions towards planets in the so called habitable zone, because earth is getting overpopulated at an already exponential rate, and natural resources are being destroyed even faster

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Thank you! S&F -- I love this stuff.

PS I liked the freakin apple.
And the Microsoft joke was hilarious!!

RC

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
i am sorry, but what are the secrets it revealed?

The Secret is that it's a Dwarf Planet, they do exist and they are awesome. In particular, Eris is awesome, because it reminds me of the name for The Red Planet, Ares. Yeah, Elton John was rite, we can't really make babies there, because it's waaay out of the habitable zone, no kinda place to raise a kid, "in fact, it's cold as hell " just like Mars! yeah, think that apple should be Red, let's paint Kallisti, shall we? I Guess it's like having pygmy goats, you can't really milk 'em or eat 'em, but they sure are cute, aren't they? I think I like Billy Goats more, they take no mess, but I digress, this has nothing to do with planets, and everything to do with Dwarf Planets.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

You do bring up an excellent discussion point.

Do we stay focus on one path (say a place that shows more signs of life supporting opportunities)? OR

Do we check out everything, or as much as we can, as we discover it or expand outward?

On the one hand you have-stay on one track and hope what you are shooting for is there (Life).

On the other hand, you may pass up valuable info and/or knowledge by not checking everything out. You may find something that fits in the big puzzel and that ends up helping you in the quest for life planets.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

i completely agree. we should focus, but while focusing, we would need to stay slightly out of focus as not to miss anything of interest and importance along the way. because we may just miss something along the way that is of equal or greater importance as the point in which we focus. thank you for thinking outside the box, as i always try to do, and when others do, it opens up the wonderful world and realm of possibilities

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schitzoandro

Thinking outside the box. Ah yes. A wonderful trait.

The problem is the path before one is strune with morons and others that don't think like you and they do all they can to stop you as they JUST CAN'T GET ANYTHING-outside the box.

We have to. The box is too limited for what lays out in space. No boxes....

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

First an image of the solar system with an apple shaped planet larger than Saturn and Jupiter. Now an image of our solar system that is backwards.

Everyone knows from text books the sun is on our left, with the planets gaining in size going to the right.

What other whimsical nonsense are you going to give us next, that Saturn has over 40 moons?

nonsense... utter nonsense...

Good post and an intresting one at that. We can detect a planet that is from another galaxy, yet we cant see whats in our own solar system, let alone if ET is parting it up in Alpha Centaurii.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n

BAHAHAHA! AHAHAHA

Ok. That was great. Anyways, I think the apple if very classic. Of course, it's also ironic in a way to use such a religiously referenced fruit as the image. HA. Anyways, good joke. Well said, well said.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

It's a bit of a joke based on the story of Eris and the discord (Eris is the goddess of discord) that was caused in the Astronomy community when Eris was discovered, which eventually led to Pluto being demoted to Dwarf Planet status. This is partly why they chose this name for this dwarf planet.

According to the Iliad, the Trojan War was caused when Hera, Athena and Aphrodite had a dispute over which was the most beautiful when Eris tossed a golden apple (the Golden Apple of Discord) with the word "Kallisti" written on it into their midst (Kallisti means "for the most beautiful one"). Paris, the Prince of Troy, was given the job of choosing which goddess was the most beautiful. Aphrodite bribed him to pick her by promising him the hand of the most beautiful woman in the world. He chose Aphrodite and so she caused Helen, wife of Meneleus, the King of Sparta and the most beautiful woman in the world, to fall in love with him. Paris took Helen back to Troy, thus touching off the Trojan War.
edit on 11/22/2010 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join