It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another surveillance system from the ptb? Or simply a good idea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this applies to elsewhere in Europe or the world but it certainly does for the uk..
An Internet website called Internet eyes is in operation in the uk.. this website, is linked to CCTV cameras mainly in shops around Britain. The shops pay £20 per week for the link and other Internet users pay £13 per year to become members.
The idea is that Internet users will watch the cameras online, for crimes that take place, they can then get rewards of up to £1000 if they catch someone committing a crime..
A recent story is of a shoplifter in Devon being caught stealing sweets by a user in italy..
Boss of Internet eyes Tony Morgan said "we provide extra eyes"
Is this system a good thing? Is it another system implemented.by the ptb? Or simply just a good idea that will benefit shopkeepers and Internet users with time on their hands?
Thoughts please..

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: Citizens police themselves already and have nothing to fear from this! Being good is being good when no one else is watching though! Human beings, being inherently good, always keep that in the foremost parts of their minds at all times! Monsters should therefor be afraid...very afraid!

P.S. BTW OL cannot break the Law... OL IS the Law... the Law of the Jungle! It's Nice that I'm nice then isn't it... because if I wasn't... it would be monsterous!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Its a clever money making ploy, really.
Getting subscribers to pay to watch "reality" in the hope they will win a reward.
It is kind of like "big brother" tv meets "cops".

You could manipulate this.
Get a kid/minor to steal(probably get off without charges), call it in. Bingo. Reward.
Geez.
Did I Just think that.

I feel naughty now.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Your right the system is flawed... I hope someone does that..

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

As the saying goes my friend, "who watches the watchers".

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Indeed, the system will defiantly be abused. Says up to £1000 reward so will probably be based on the value of the goods. maybe a percentage etc and probably have a clause saying person must be convicted therefore minors will be exempt.

This will probably take off as the shepple love their reality tv and it will feel like they have power and are in control.
take care regards

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Here is a little bit more I found about the system

People pay £12.99 a year or £4.99 a quarter and for that they can log on and watch two shops at a time. You don't get to choose which shops you watch and you cannot watch any shops in your postcode area.

"If someone is seen shoplifting the viewer presses an alert button that sounds a warning on the shop owner's mobile phone. He can then confront whoever is pictured. He will have a picture grab sent to him as well."

Rewards

A reward of £1000 pounds per month for
the Viewer who has made the best contribution
to the prevention or detection of a crime.

A usage reward for time spent helping
the community by monitoring live CCTV footage

A reward for recommending a friend
Recognition for successful feedback

Soon I feel it may become a big community, obviously there should be privacy concerns though it is good you cant choose the shops, nothing is stopping you recording the feeds and there are a lot of sick people out there who may get the kicks from spying on people.

A bit more I found opposed to the notion

Daniel Hamilton, of campaign group Big Brother Watch, said: "It's astonishing to think that innocent people doing their shopping could soon be spied on by an army of busybodies with an internet connection.

"CCTV should be used sparingly to help solve real crimes, not to encourage this tawdry voyeurism."

Charles Farrier, director of the pressure group No CCTV, said: "It is an appalling idea for a game and will create a snoopers' paradise.

"It is something which should be nipped in the bud."

Regards

new topics

top topics

join