It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 Year Old Pendant, Worth 4 Million Discovered By 3 Year Old Treasure Hunter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Lucky little bugger. Lots of treasure hunter look their whole lives & find next to nothing. This little one goes out & finds something practically first go. 4 million will certainly help him out in life.

www.archaeologydaily.com...

A young treasure hunter in Britain found something unusual and valuable when trying his metal detector for the first time last year. Three year old James Hyatt was using it when, as he put it, "It went beep beep beep."

Hyatt and his father started digging and Thursday they went public with their find, a 500-year-old gold pendant. Experts say it's worth about $4 million dollars.
The BBC reports that they Hyatts found the pendant in a field and they'll share the money with the field's owner if the pendant is sold.

The British Museum says the pendant weighs a third of an ounce and has a gold content of about 73 percent, according to the BBC. An image engraved on the pendant is likely the Virgin Mary. It is also decorated with the five wounds of Christ.

The BBC quotes a letter from the British Museum, "Devotion to the blood and wounds of Christ was one of the hallmarks of late medieval piety."

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Is there any excavation on the site this was found?

Second line.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Not that I know of only kid with metal detector not actual archaeolgy dig as yet.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Wow, what a lucky kid.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I'm sure someone didn't just lose a big chunk of GOLD to be found later on today??

There must be more to this, a 500 year old GOLD bar with picture of Jesus found by a kid who used his metal detector for the first time?

and

NO HUGE DIG UP

Something not adding up.

Nice find.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Sorry couldn't say on that. Hopefully they will find some more treasures there.
Maybe they have commitments to other dig first, so they don't want to seen making a big fuss to attract all the looters. I'm only speculating though.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Is there any excavation on the site this was found?

They will certainly do some testing, but my oh my, what a beautiful piece!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

One find on a field doesn't mean there is reason for 'huge dig up'. They have to see first if there's any indication that there might be something worth digging up. More finds from the same area and/or radar that shows structures or graves etc.
And also
for the kid. Luck certainly is with him.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Someone will ask to borrow the pendant.
They will say they want to analyze it, and in the process they will create a duplicate.
Then, after the ole switcheroo, they will tell the boy the thing is not authentic and offer him a fraction of its worth.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Someone will ask to borrow the pendant.
They will say they want to analyze it, and in the process they will create a duplicate.
Then, after the ole switcheroo, they will tell the boy the thing is not authentic and offer him a fraction of its worth.

How so?
You speak from experience?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
personally, i think finding something like this could be bad news for the kid.
seems like most are just impressed with the numerical value.
in my mind this could bring some bad luck to the possessor.
imagine what type of christian would have worn this, and also realize the time frame.
can bad karma be passed down through a gold pendant?
i have a problem with gold in the same way i have a problem with blood diamonds.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
what makes it worth 4 million though ?
Even at todays gold prices how could it be worth that much? I mean I think the whole King Tut Treasure wasn't valued at that much when it was found

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This reminds me of Chirstmas 1980 when I was at Coober Pedy.. Australia's Opal capital. I was working as a rigger on the new hospital there and spent my off hours fossicking around the older tailings dumps.. only found smallish Opals I gave to friends as gifts.

While there I saw a tourist bus pull up next to the what was then a dirt and small stone footbal field. As the people filed off the bus a young boy ran out across the field and seemed to stub his toe on a rock.. he picked it up, noticed something different about it and showed it to the coach driver.

Within an hour the boy's family had been to the Opal dealers and sold a beautiful large opal for A$20,000. Now that is Lucky. I'd walked that field many times!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
A number of significant finds are made by kids (true in fossicking (hunting for fossils)) simply because their eyes are usually better than ours *and* (no kidding) they're closer to the ground. We've got a number of fossils that were found by kids, including a nodosaur.

I doubt it'll be substituted. I know that when things that are potentially valuable are turned over to museums and labs, that all sorts of legal things get slapped into place to ensure that nothing happens to it and it gets to (and returns to) the correct person... undamaged.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I seriously doubt the validity of any of the sources about this item. They cannot see that which belies that which is engraved not to mention that which is magical and metaphysical. I would like to call your attention to the body in the bottom-right quadrant. I did not highlight all that is hidden to avoid causing confusion.
edit on 033030p://pm3005 by debris765nju because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Please note the changes in the appearance of this gold locket. I did not add any color to this image or draw any lines. @hat you see now was there before. There is still more to be revealed.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
If you simply invert the colors that haloed human becomes and alien in a spacesuit. The question i put before you is who had the technology to do this? Leonardo da Vinci?

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
With all due respect to your beliefs. You're manipulating the image with editing programs that they probably didn't even have wet dreams about back when they made the pendant. Also you have to take into account image artifacts from jpeg compressions etc. that distord the image.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Wait,it is impossible to prove its 500 years old. Are you telling me i can buy one bar of gold,make a desighn on it and retire right away?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It's not impossible. Dating stuff is one of the biggest areas of archeology and these people are pros.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join