It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Must We Hide Behind Alter Ego's and Screen Names?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

The short of it is the situation is not necessarily "alter" ego, but pure ego for many. Some don't care one way or the other. Some like the art they do or have done. It's like a tattoo. A statement. Maybe good, bad or ugly, but a statement.

The real funny ones are the ones the GUYS have of a mean-looking character ready to rip your guts out. I ask myself, does that person really need to project that sort of image. Why? --'Course some of those folks will deny to high heaven that they, personally, want to seem bad, but you know, what does the picture show, suggest or sometimes say in print?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Folks, the times of living in complete fear will soon collapse. One day, we will all look back and see how silly we were all going about our lives and how we had the key all this time. I appreciate all the input and honest posts.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I for one happen to believe these avatrs and screen-names we "hide" behind are neat reflexes of ourselves in some way. I love to see all your avatrs and signatures as an interesting part of this forum too

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Why? Many reasons. Some are down-to-earth and some are more esoteric. You would be surprised, actually.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

It has a lot more to do with states of consciousness than it does with fear...

Psychoanalysts used puppets with kids because it's easier for the conscious and subconscious mind to vent through these outlets, and it allows self reflection from "a distance" as well.

This is not a modern technique, but has been in use in humanity for as long as we have been humans... most indigenous tribes also have some sort of alter ego like mindset which allows members of the tribe to "be someone different" for a day or a time period.

Actually your question makes me wonder about your maturity as this is a rather basic concept.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You are aware that potential employers, colleges, law enforcement etc. now search for applicants by name on all of the networking sites to see what you are interesting in, what you view, what you are opinionated about, or who your friends are? Surely, you do, correct? By your thread Im assuming that perhaps:

1. You are not employed, or are not seeking work.
2. Are too young enough and probably living at home with the parents not to realize this.
3. That you never even thought about how our opinions, favorite websites and topics of interest can
be held against you, and prevent you from getting and/or keeping a job.

Why else would you suggest that should be the norm?

So? Whats YOUR real and full name. Where do YOU live? And can we have your Social Security and Driver License #'s please? Thanks. I need some new credit cards.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkid
Hello ATS!

I have a question that is very important.
Why must we continue to hide behind
Alter Ego's and Screen Names?

Why can't we back our opinions with our faces?
If we, unlike the rest of the world believe in a real change...
then why do we continue to hide only to prove we continue bluffing?

If you are not scared of the consequences your opinion brings then why hide?

Side Note: To all who will call me out on my SN drkid... Here is the SPACE ATS will edit after i post my real name like they have done in the past, over and over again to protect my own identity? From who? From what? The Government that is already spying on us all? From the Internet Service Providers that keep a record of all of our visited websites and research? From the same ISP's that will sell out information in the name of National or Local Security? There is no need to hide anymore if you want a real change.

Life's too simple guy's. You live, You die.
Everything in between are just rules made
by fools in the most artificial ways.

Opinions anybody?
edit on 22-11-2010 by drkid because: spelling.

If you wanna so much put your real picture, full name, home address, social security, job place, home phone, cellphone, blood type, cred card number and family relatives, available in a conspiracy forum, while you are talking about TPTB, NWO, Illuminati, government conspiracies, military-alien connections, NASA cover up, Nibiru and stuff, GO AHEAD. Maybe your life must be way too boring and you wanna just some extra attention, like some black vans, black choppers or black suits around your house, huh???

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Your kiding me right, same thread different week

second line

third line

cough cough

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Hello ATS! I have a question that is very important. Why must we continue to hide behind Alter Ego's and Screen Names?

Because on the internet we expose ourselves, our thoughts, and our opinions to a far greater
number of people than we normally would in the course of a regular day's conversation--increasing
the risk of exposing ourselves to psychopaths, obsessive-compulsives, schizophrenics....or
in general people who would wish us harm and go to extreme measures to achieve that end, and
do it anonomously....

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Hello ATS!

I have a question that is very important.
Why must we continue to hide behind
Alter Ego's and Screen Names?

Why can't we back our opinions with our faces?
If we, unlike the rest of the world believe in a real change...
then why do we continue to hide only to prove we continue bluffing?

If you are not scared of the consequences your opinion brings then why hide?

Side Note: To all who will call me out on my SN drkid... Here is the SPACE ATS will edit after i post my real name like they have done in the past, over and over again to protect my own identity? From who? From what? The Government that is already spying on us all? From the Internet Service Providers that keep a record of all of our visited websites and research? From the same ISP's that will sell out information in the name of National or Local Security? There is no need to hide anymore if you want a real change.

Life's too simple guy's. You live, You die.
Everything in between are just rules made
by fools in the most artificial ways.

Opinions anybody?
edit on 22-11-2010 by drkid because: spelling.

oh you mean like me? yup thats my real face and my alias is part of my real name.

The world is a stage and a stage name is in order. Sometimes people deny their government name as a form of rebellion. Create a new because it stands for your new self, your new purpose; ie. "to deny ignorance". CHOICE! is freedom. Real names are meaningless when it is the idead that the person shares are what is important. In truth identity can distract from a person's message.

Some people, I wont name any, deserve BIOs to accompany their plethora of great threads and replies. These people I just referred to are committed to "denying ignorance". When you have read everything they have to offer, you might wish to read about them to further solidify your agreement with relation. But yeah no one is really hiding behind an easy to trace ISP.... but yeah thats my real face. I am called Jeronimo Briggz.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm not hiding behind anything.
I am Silo13.
Think: Sighhh-lowwww, and then tack on my favorite number = 13.

And, I am, Silo13 in the The Voyages of the Penelope and the Yydryl.

Point being... We all are many things.

We’re complex and intricate and diverse as every day we live, every mood we’re in, every moment of our life is NEW!

We will never be just one name, one face.

Point being, in emphasis.

That's what THEY want us to be, just ONE NAME and ONE FACE.

As for me? 'They' will NEVER pin me down to one sole existence.

If perhaps due to circumstances beyond my control, ‘they’ ever do?
It's time to say goodbye to the internet - and maybe even more...

peace
edit on 23-11-2010 by silo13 because: bbc bold

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My screen name is my real name.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The net is quicker than the hand that attempts to still it. Damn double post.
Second line
edit on 23-11-2010 by sceptical me because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
OP, I am with you on this issue. Let me stand up and bravely procalim my name from the roof tops. I am Spartacus! And I am responsible!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Everyone should be proud of their human form...

Human form?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

For several reasons:

1. the internet is full of looney's.
2. i cannot allow my personal opinions to infringe on my career
3. i do not want to be accountable for an opinion that may change over the course of months/years at some random point in the future by someone referred to in point 1.
4. anonymity, even if it is only partial, allows some protection from "them".
5. I like making avatar art for ats. me? not very interesting. a big, fat, furry, gorilla...much more interesting.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
After reviewing the o.p., poster states it is a very important question. What immediately comes to mind is the fact that is a very "un-important" question. One with a very obvious answer, understood by all (except perhaps this person who just now prob. has started using the net) This I believe displays an inability...maybe due to the o.p.'s age, of how things in this world work.

Would he have a soldier fighting in IRAQ give his real name so his wife and kids in the US can be targeted with violence because someone here could find where he lives? Or maybe a child-molester looks up the real name of an 8th grader from Facebook and locates where they live and waits for them to come home from school?

Its pointless to go on further with more examples because we all know why giving your real name can be a very very BAD thing. Almost no-one would ask such a question which is universally understood as "common and accepted-knowledge". I do believe they were trying to step up with a contribution to ATS and thought they were acting really knowledgeable with a valid point.

The fact they they do not appear knowledgeable, were un-aware, and their post "contribution" ...with what they perceived was a "very important question"...were lacking common sense, worldly knowledge, and has no real bearing here, when there really are "more" important issues to be discussed.

Perhaps they really were trying to express a point by asking. But the content..the lack of perception...the implications...and the lack of grasping the concept of Internet Security apparently has escaped them. Perhaps due to the age of the poster.

With all the "dont give out your name"..."dont post anything that can identify your or where you may live, work or go to school" etc...how in the world could this person....believe we SHOULD give it all out? For sure, they should read as much as humanly possible here about why we use screen names, why we shouldnt, why there are good ones and bad ones, and ones that can easily be "hacked" and provide our real information to crooks, rapists, hackers, thieves, cons etc, etc.

And I cant believe this person actually thinks we shouldnt use screen names. Im waiting for all of his personal info to go up once he tells us his real name and we look up his home address. I think a big clue here is the screen name ....dr-KID. It has to be....

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

I agree with your post 100%
I am not afraid of what could possibly happen to myself
if my name and info was made public.I do have a family
that could be affected by my actions.

OP,I only read the first two posts before replying.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
So you dont get murdered by a very opinionated person with an opossing opinion

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join