It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Must We Hide Behind Alter Ego's and Screen Names?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

see my avatar...that was myself 2 weeks ago...but now im into the 'Mohawk' mode & show my piercings, also the blue fabric on the windows is now changed to Silver (in support of the 'Buy Silver Bring Down JP Morgan')campaign by Max Keiser)

as for a screen name, the forum will not leave you use a real name or anything that directly denotes ones e-mail or anything like that...

the bottom line is the collective WE are not hiding behind exotic, created, meaningful Avatars & screen-names, just go ahead and U-2-U members... you'll find out that the "alter-ego" label is not that appropriate

just my two-bits

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
On a good day I can't remember my name and to be real honest with ya, I'm so butt friggin' ugly, you really don't wanna see my picture, especially around 'eatin' time.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
anonymity recants accountability
I hide in plain sight
I also am careful to post accordingly
I have embarrassed myself, I have made mistakes
I'm only human, as far as I know

We hide behind alter egos and screen names because we can

I just happen to think it's usually best in life to do the harder thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well, for starters that IS me present in my avatar. And, in a weird way even my screen-name is a veritable representation of myself. Wandering Scribe is an honorific, it was bestowed upon me by my spiritual Teacher. Much like how a police chief receives the honorific Chief, or a college teacher can receive the honorific Professor. I am the Wandering Scribe, and I am known as he among the circles that I travel. My birth name matters only in legal affairs. This is my real title, and it is the title I will bear until the end of my days.

And, as others' have pointed out on this thread, not everyone hides. I know several people on ATS who's screen-names contain one, or both, of their legal names. Furthermore, striking up a conversation with them can often elicit an exchange of locales. I know where many members live, their legal names, their ages, and more. Instead of trying to dispel the sense of anonymity, you should instead work to sew seeds of congregation so people trust you.

Once people trust you, all sorts of doors open. You can then find great affiliates and supporters.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I like lions.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have political opinions that would not go well for the man I worked for.
Even tho I am now retired, those opinions would still reflect on him, as this place of business is implication politically connected.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

First of all we dont want to make it to simple for the FBI to ID us and build the file without any background research.

Second we want to make it simple for dis info agents.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Because tptb are deliberately strangling the economy as to create hardship and need for job searches/career changes. Add the eric schmidt factor and you have your answer.

Did you see the credit score commercial that ran about 1 day, featuring displaced persons on highways, hitch hiking rides, with their 'credit scores' on their chests?

I rest my case.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Why are you op?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

ATS = your a bad apple.

You can get fired, suspended or even fined for being on this website and depending upon your job or social status.

A related example would be the recent guy from the news station, being suspended for 3 days or something for donating to a campaign. Same concept.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
to the OP, do you honestly believe that changing your username to your full name and your picture to your actual face would really change anything? it's obvious anyone writing anything more in-depth that "cool" on every thread is a human, not a spam app
pseudonims are so popular online for convenience, how many John Smith or Mike Parkers do you think there are in the world? Not to mention the more common east asian names
and like someone (probably more than one person) said, some employers are invasive enough to terminate or not hire people for being part of websites like this

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Why do you want to know everyone's real names? It could harm them and it won't benefit you? Motive?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
My name and face is out there, but I'm not a conspiracy nut so I have nothing to fear. I base my conclusions on verifiable hard evidence. I wouldn't recommend everyone on here show their true faces though, especially if their into deep conspiracies, as the big three letter groups do watch what is said on here.

Speaking of big brother, anyone use QQ? I have recently only to find out the Chinese government screens through every conversation on there. On qq anyway, I will be carefully selecting what I talk about from now on.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

If your interested in openness on the internet why didnt you use your real name and pic as a avatar

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I use my screen name mainly because I have been called wayouttheredude for years. Also if you were to do a Google search for my real name you would find so many of us it is not even funny. My content would be lost. As a writer I like to field my work here to gauge the response without revealing my actual name under which I am published. It lets me try stuff out that I would not send to be published without checking the response first.

As for the picture same applies as the screen name.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

I think was addressed once or twice before,
My take on it is, I am not hiding or offering you an alter ego, that's for sure.
What I dont want, is my given full name plastered all over the internet with the amount of unstable individuals out there and who knows what they are capable of.
I'm real, my feelings and opinions are real, that's all that need be known.
I dont need stalked, or unsolicited phone calls, emails, or driveway surprises.
If you want to, you can open up a similar site like this and promote it heavily and see how many people you get to participate.
I dont see it working out for you though.
(oh I'm sure there's some participants here with less than noble intent but I dont think it the majority)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by drkid

I have a question that is very important.
Why must we continue to hide behind
Alter Ego's and Screen Names?

Dunno ... but here's a thought to contemplate ...

Egos and Names?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Egos and Names?

Yes,
a twist on a twist,
the name that is given us, does it collect our ego?
the screen names we choose does it reflect how we know ourselves or how we see ourselves to be?
very good coffee talk !

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Those are some great points.

My username is actually my actual name, and I've used my face as an avatar before too.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Egos and Names?

I think that, maybe one some level, identifying with an ego brings us comfort.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join