It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Must We Hide Behind Alter Ego's and Screen Names?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
To be anoynmous (well, relatively anonymous) is a great gift and it can encourage people to say all sorts of things they wouldn't otherwise. You have much more freedom this way, when ego is less of an issue. To paraphrase another slogan some may recognize, "because none of us is as smart as all of us."

Thats the problem, people are encouraged to HIDE.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

"Let stalkers do their thing" you say.

Are you serious? Do you have any conception whatsoever of why sites like this one have policies to protect people's privacy?

Are you really asking us to follow your lead and give out our personal details here on ATS?

Mike

edit on 22/11/10 by JustMike because: Corrected "detail" to "details"

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Yes, straight up. You are responsible for absolutely ALL the information you have ever posted on the Internet. If for whatever reason or another you ever posted your address online, then that is your issue to deal with. If for whatever reason someone can figure out a way to find your address, then perhaps you should QUESTION the system you are living in with a VERY strong conviction.

The GOAL is to come up with SOLUTIONS, not continue to let problems slide.

edit on 22-11-2010 by drkid because: The GOAL is to come up with SOLUTIONS, not continue to let problems slide.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

...I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it. (Revelation 2:17)

You certainly have a "new name". And the white stone refers to a writing tablet. Stone was the earliest material used for leaving messages and keeping accounts.

I think this could refer to the internet.

I also think the "hidden manna" refers to the treasure of knowledge.
edit on 22-11-2010 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
reply to post by angrydog

Why should my "real" name or face be more important than the content of my mind?

It's not so much that I am hiding, it's more like, "Who cares?" You either listen to the message, or you don't.

It certainly levels the playing field. The lion and the wolf are laying down together chewing the cud. Besides, if you knew some of the people on the websites you could be prejudiced against them in some way; by being anon we make judgments based on the essence of one's thoughts and ideas without interference of status, preconcieved notions, looks, ethnic groups, etc. It shows more of one's inner core than the outer embellishments of name and stature.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by harrytuttle
reply to post by angrydog

Why should my "real" name or face be more important than the content of my mind?

It's not so much that I am hiding, it's more like, "Who cares?" You either listen to the message, or you don't.

It certainly levels the playing field. The lion and the wolf are laying down together chewing the cud. Besides, if you knew some of the people on the websites you could be prejudiced against them in some way; by being anon we make judgments based on the essence of one's thoughts and ideas without interference of status, preconcieved notions, looks, ethnic groups, etc. It shows more of one's inner core than the outer embellishments of name and stature.

The only reason we JUDGE so harshly is because of the way we have been brought up. If society would have done thing's the proper way from the beginning no one would judge others by the way they look on the outside. Due to my own personal experiences under the sun, i have come to respect others opinions even when they scale over me like "ugly sky scrapers". I do refuse to silence the truth and continue to let others whale away in ignorance. I KNOW the solution to our common problem and its simple... Let people be who they are and stop the suppression already, its stupid and it gets us no where.

Why do you think places like Disney are so popular? All kinds of age groups go there, from kids to grand parents. Why? To revisit the magic. Is it not obvious that all those ideas came from somewhere underneath the sun too? If others were EXPOSED to the truth, then they wouldn't have to travel too far for happiness and a sense of fulfillment.

It's all a LIE. Its all meant to make YOU think that hiding behind the shadow of anonymous can in some way encourage you to speak your mind amongst others from remote distances.

You are a man... and if you feel you have something to say, don't be scared and say it.
You are a women... and if you feel you have something to say, don't be scared and say it.

How many folks make new accounts and post stories... stories that sometimes sound crazy! I can do this myself, again and again. All day and night. Each time with a new story to entertain you guys and you will buy it depending on your own experience's in life. The concept is simple, if you feel your man enough to state your opinion, back it up so we know its YOU. When everyone, not just here on ATS, but everywhere on the Internet start to participate in TRUTH, in LIGHT, in HONESTY, then by law of nature, LOVE will rule the land again.

edit on 22-11-2010 by drkid because: added more.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

CX Love Dance Monkey,, Dance
second line

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

I am not skerd. My name is Shaun Daniel Hatfield. It is customary online to use a "screen name". I dont find anything odd in this. It is like a nik name. Like on a football team players get nik names. People online use their screen name to explain their personality / Activities / loves / likes. I have never considered it hiding.

Do people actually Consciously hide with their name?

I could see a pervert hiding with a name like "Idontwant2molestU" Doubt it would work though.

My online names are always something to do with Mobius! Some know what a mobius is. This was my ATS name for a LONGGGGGGGG time.. then because i was unable to control my anger.. Banned!

Then I was known as Resurrection - I am sure you see the meaning. Again was unable to control my anger. Banned!

Forced to evaluate my interaction with ATS members.... I was given one LAST chance... Now I am a Latin Mobius that has been resurrected.

Hence - Resurrectio

edit on 11/22/2010 by Resurrectio because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
There is NO WAY I'm going to post my information on the internet. There are too many freaks out there. Name .. address ... kids info ... next thing I know I'll have a whackadoo on my front step either preaching to me or trying to kill me.

Not a freak'n chance.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I'd rather not be associated with people claiming to be aliens/time travelers/gods. Ruins my credibility and all that.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
i prefer talking to people i identify as made up names and a small unrelated pic, where consequences and responsibilty for things said and done are irrelevant. besides, i'd think most of us are too hideous and dull to go by our real names and faces.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Many people use BTS and have fun in the members pictures threads of which there are thousands of pages with multipal threads over the years. I myself have joined in the fun and it was a lesson in trust for me as I have in the past been stocked by crazies. It happens and when you get millions of people from around the world looking at and reading your stuff you just never know who may come after you for whatever reasons.

My screen name is not an alter ego, it is something very close and personal and a name many many people in rl know me as. It was an old Spiritual name and used as a direction. I use it now as a reminder of a simpler more gently loving side of my higher potential.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
same here as Antar said
Danbones is the name many of my freinds call me locally and I am proud of why.
Identity theft and stocking can be nightmares
so it is best we minimize the odds of that by all means IMHO

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I can't use my own face because it would simply detract unnecessary attention away from the other posts on a thread.
I'm way, way super hot. Plus, I'm really funny and smart and I can cook extremely well. So basically, if you add all those personality traits together on top of an avatar which shows what a super-fine babe I am in real life.....well, you get the picture.
I make this sacrifice of identity in the best interests of the ATS community as a whole.

Seriously though, to the OP-- I tried something similar to this in a thread entitled "Where In the World Is ATS?" and the response was less than pitiful. I think most people believed it was some sort of guise by an undercover informant. I deny that ignorance.

The thread, if you are so inclined, is linked to my signature line.
Best of luck in your endeavor--

Stupid Girl

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

It allows people who have emotional hangups about expressing themselves, but nevertheless have ideas in their heads that want out, to express them.

It's got its pros and cons. I too think that a more healthy civilization will involve people not being afraid to speak what's on their minds. Of course that means listeners would also have to be healthy enough to take what's being dished out (and, if necessary, the balls to rebuke it in a reasonable manner) without going ego-ballistic or retreating into a sulk.

We're not there yet. And until we're there, I think an anonymous marketplace of ideas is a good thing. It may very well be the thing that helps get us there. After all, the Internet is still young. Who's to say that with all this superfast communication that bypasses mainstream propaganda sources, we won't approximate the truth someday? Rome wasn't built in a day.

edit on 22-11-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It would be nice if our "new world" could be all puppy dog tails and lolli-pop pails and good thoughts for all mankind.

But.....ITS NOT THE WAY THE WORLD ROLLS. Straight up - got it homie?

There are a lot of sick and twisted people / agencies out there just waiting to find out WHO YOU ARE!

You say "stand up for what you believe and that can change the world" ( or something similar ) - I say the same thing, however I also say DON'T TELL THEM WHO YOU ARE OR WHERE YOU ARE and you will be alive to stand up again tomorrow!

I am Dorian Soran - or am I?

Does it matter what my name is? Just listen to my message,right?

Dorian Soran
The Good Doctor!

edit on 22-11-2010 by Dorian Soran because: I need to learn how to type!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

what are you hiding under your hand on your elbow there Cuhail?or in your other hand ?
heh heh
by the looks of things.
Have to be a crazy mofo to stalk a handome fella such as your self.

edit on 22-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

What, the sword?

I make sword scabbards for a living. I have LOTS of swords.

Here's the latest scabbard/grip I have finished...

Cuhail

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkid
Let stalkers do their thing and let the evil people in the world be punished for their stupid acts.

You can't be serious. Let stalkers do their thing? You do realize what some stalkers do to women, right? Men too, I'm sure, but women are generally built smaller, and more at risk for certain violence. Especially if the woman lives out in the middle of nowhere, and her life is now in danger, because she put her information out there on the internet.

What are hospitals for? So folks who are born to Earth have a place to fix themselves when they need to be repaired. Why are there so many laws against drugs that don't really kill anyone but offer great insight on how to really live here on Earth? Why do they leave Alcohol legalized but hold such a strong conviction against Mushrooms and '___'?

So when the stalker gets ahold of the woman, there's a hospital to fix her up? Maybe there's a morgue to store her dead mutilated body too.

The only reason we are SCARED of this change, is due to what we have been programmed to believe by society! Nothing but taboo's and stupid laws that can be eliminated if we truly stood up for what WE BELIEVE IN. A lot of people will come and try to censor the truth... and you can see it as clear as day light.

No, a couple of the reasons we don't want to put ourselves out there, is stalkers, and identity theft. Stalkers could be either government controlled make you disappear types if you're too close to some truth, or they could be the sickos that either just take pictures to scare you or post all over the internet, or the real sickos that decide you're what they want, and no one else can have you, or maybe they just want to do major harm for kicks.

These threads are coming up a lot lately, and it's weird that there are people out there that are not aware of the dangers, not just of the internet, but that there are sick, twisted people out there that live just to hurt others.

From Stupid Girl (who is probably very, very smart)
I can't use my own face because it would simply detract unnecessary attention away from the other posts on a thread. I'm way, way super hot. Plus, I'm really funny and smart and I can cook extremely well. So basically, if you add all those personality traits together on top of an avatar which shows what a super-fine babe I am in real life.....well, you get the picture. I make this sacrifice of identity in the best interests of the ATS community as a whole.

She might just be all of what she claims. Prime target for a sicko stalker.
Going back to when I was in my mid teens, and for a bunch of years after, I was also apparently hot enough, that there was men that wouldn't leave me alone. It's not always flattering when there is more than one guy you can't get rid of. A couple of times, it took the cops. Restraining orders don't work at all. It always took a trustworthy fellow, of much bigger build, to get rid of stalkers.

Life can be very dangerous. Why add to the danger by drawing unnecessary attention to oneself?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join