It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to quit smoking?????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
hi, I am a 30 year old women. I had 3 miscarraige.i don’t have children. My doctor adviced me to stop smoking.i tried but I feel I am addict to smoking. I really wish to have a happy life ahead with my family. Pls help me get it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
nice introducing ..welcome to ATS

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by assh8

Explanation: Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: Welcome! OL is sure a mod will be along soon to help out with an informative post etc. I recommend utilizing the pink chat voyuer function on the ATS tool bar to the far right of most ATS webpages! It will enable you to watch who and what is being posted in chat but unfortunately you wont be able to join or chat back until your post count reaches 100 posts or so.

Reply to this post with the reply function up top right of this post and that'll be another post towards your mandatory 20 posts before you can start your own threads

Please message me using the message button on far left ATS tool bar if you require any further help whatsoever!

Peace and much love!

Sincerely OL [OmegaLogos]

P.S. OL is trying to ource some info on quiting smoking for you right now OK!

Edited to add this ATS search link on "quit smoking" ...

ATS search results for:- quit smoking [ATS]

edit on 22-11-2010 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add the edit.

edit on 22-11-2010 by OmegaLogos because: Edited spelling fail in the link. soz

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I would suggest a few things.

Try to find something healthier to replace the addiction. Everytime you reach for a cigarette grab some gum instead. One thing that I know helps from experience is just not buying cigarettes. You can't smoke them if you don't have them. Another thing you can do is only smoke till you get the buzz and just ash the rest. I did that and they just didn't seem worth it after awhile. It's not easy but you'll figure it out and you'll be on your way to a healthier lifestyle in no time. Good luck

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by assh8
hi, I am a 30 year old women. I had 3 miscarraige.i don’t have children. My doctor adviced me to stop smoking.i tried but I feel I am addict to smoking. I really wish to have a happy life ahead with my family. Pls help me get it.

Being a heavy smoker myself I have failed in every try, those who think they can do it, achieve it because they think they can do it.

My life is good smoking, I'm healthy, I can run 10 laps around the closest park, I got no health issues blablabla..

Why? Because I don't believe Smoking is bad for your health, just like I don't believe air is bad for your health. When you think about it too much, it will happen. If you think about giving up too much, you will give up. My friend gave up fine, haven't been smoking for 2 years now

In conclusion:

Whether you want to smoke or not: Make sure your belief is healthy, because your belief effects you.

Smoke time

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pinealexplorer
I would suggest a few things.

Try to find something healthier to replace the addiction. Everytime you reach for a cigarette grab some gum instead. One thing that I know helps from experience is just not buying cigarettes. You can't smoke them if you don't have them. Another thing you can do is only smoke till you get the buzz and just ash the rest. I did that and they just didn't seem worth it after awhile. It's not easy but you'll figure it out and you'll be on your way to a healthier lifestyle in no time. Good luck

Smoke till you get the buzz? I stopped getting the buzz a billion years ago

I have to inhale the damn things in pairs, and *I* am not even addicted.

A few beers I like a smoke, but the way it used to be, that buzz all over your body... distant memory.

I can go weeks without a ciggy, so I know Im not addicted, and its habitual for me... but..

buzz? it's just the feeling I've had one these days... 5 seconds later I forget about it (Apart from the rancid stench.. thank god I only smoke when Im drinking.. uhh )

In a way Im glad, tho.. I have no idea why, but years of just occasional (more so recently) and I can go forever really, without a cig.

I guess Im only addicted to things that actually make me feel wicked good.. certainly things I know I'll never be able to refuse, even if it has been years since....

edit on 22/11/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Yeah alot of people say that they've lost the buzz. I could only get the buzz if i smoked them fast. So what I would do is just smoke it really fast, I'd get a buzz or just satisfaction, and i wouldn't have even finished the butt. Depends on what kind you smoke too. I smoked (still do ocassionally) American Spirits cause they just lasted longer so that may have something to do with it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Yeah alot of people say that they've lost the buzz. I could only get the buzz if i smoked them fast. So what I would do is just smoke it really fast, I'd get a buzz or just satisfaction, and i wouldn't have even finished the butt. Depends on what kind you smoke too. I smoked (still do ocassionally) American Spirits cause they just lasted longer so that may have something to do with it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
My girlfriend gave up smoking by getting a prescription for Champix. Thats its Aussie name anyhow. It is a 2 or 3 month course if needed but she gave up easily with only 3 weeks of the pills, though she kept going for 4. There was no weight gain or any side effects.

I dont know if you can get it where you are but it has been 8 months for her now & not a problem.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

That in-conclusion is the best I have heard to sum up sickness. Star for you!

Have you read Ernest Holmes work?

I found Science of the Mind in a recycling bin when I was doing recycling, along with a History of the Freemasons Hardcover book. Both high quality books. I remember opening the bin and saying "I wonder if I will find anything meaningful in here". I normally don't look in bins for things, so me saying this to myself was completely random.

Good read. The guy is either completely full of crap or he knows all lol.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Today is my 27th birthday. I've been smoking for 10 years. The only thing thats got me to quit was boot camp and that was only for 3 months. I started right back up when i got to the fleet..I believe with all my heart that cigarettes are one of the worst things to ever happen to us. I'm pretty sure they are just one more way we are being kept from realizing our full potential. I don't believe in prohibition of any kind, especially of an addictive drug that everybody wants, even one as evil as nicotine. Unfortunately Big Tobacco is just too big of an industry to shut down. Perhaps if they could be convinced to grow industrial hemp instead? Wishful thinking...I struggle with cigarettes every minute of every day. I feel like such a dirt bag when I smoke in public these days. I can't stand myself every time I buy a pack. I think it's absolutely absurd and sdrawkcab that other so called drugs are illegal and fuel a global crime syndicate, but cigarettes are legal. They are so incredibly bad for you. Did you know that tobacco companies are lacing their cigarettes with sugar, because they've found that it's even more addictive than nicotine! AAAGGHH!! I swear they really are all out to get me.- www.commondreams.org... I've been diagnosed with PTSD from the wars in Iraq and my dr thought I should try wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for my depression, anxiety, paranoia, etc and oh yeah by the way this pill just happens to interact with the dopamine receptors in your brain to make nicotine withdrawal easier to cope with. How CONVENIENT for me. I've never taken a pill in my life. What they don't tell you is that it makes the paranoia 100 times worse and now my ears are ringing. I swear I took one the other week and my right ear began to ring, louder than anything I have ever heard. It was driving me crazy! er. Took some research but I finally found a bunch of others online who were taking the pill and developed tinnitus (ringing of the ears) and no one was told about this side effect, and its not among the hundreds listed with my Rx. So I stopped taking it, tinnitus is fading, some say it goes away some say it never stops. I'm terrified. PLEASE dont take WELLBUTRIN (BUPROPION). PLEASE QUIT SMOKING!!! I'm trying SO HARD. I swear it's the hardest thing I have ever done. I've been through 2 wars, a divorce, my mom died when i was 10, my grandmother died on my birthday last year (of lung cancer from smoking) and none of this has caused me as much grief as my personal battle with cigarettes. I am so tired of feeling like a junkie everyday. I have quit drinking alcohol, I was able to quit coc aine and meth, but I can't quit cigarettes. WHY???!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Thanks for the book ideas, I just downloaded them now.

I'm reading the science of the mind right now

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by assh8

Hi, Well I tried all the non smoking aides I could find as I've had enough of excluding myself.. (I've been smoking outside in the cold since my son was born 18 years ago) but it is finding the right aid (crutch) to help you through the process that is hard. for me that was e-cigs.

Which meant that not only wasn't I losing the whole smoking experience (which I admit got to the point of making me depressed) I can again smoke in restaurants etc I've even used them on a few aeroplane flights

And I am (after 12 weeks of not having a real cig) working down the various strengths and am aiming for the zero nicotine level.
As far as smoking goes I've never been happier
my only worry is that I'll now be addicted to these things

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
An extremely disgusting, but effective way of quitting smoking is through the "aversion" method. I'm sure that's not what the technical term for it is. Personally, I used the "my-wife-is-a-bi##h-and-will-chew-my-a**-and-i'll-be-sleeping-on-the-couch" method, and it worked for me.

The aversion method, as explained to me by someone who's only known skill was telling stories involved doing something to make yourself sick immediately after taking the first drag of the cigarette. It will take about 2/3 days for your brain to make the "connection" and you have to stick with it because you are providing the "aversion"
The "make yourself sick" part could be provided by rotten meat in a mason jar. It is recommended that you do this OUTSIDE. Here would be the routine. Light up your cig, take the first hit, take lid off of jar & take a big whiff of the goodness inside....when your stomach somewhat returns to it's original size & shape, do it again.
It takes a while to get used to the smell of rot, and the theory behind this is that your brain will make the connection between smoking and puking, because you WILL taste the cigarettes while you are puking.
All that will be left after a few days will be the addiction to nicotine, which can be eased by patches, gum...
For the oral fixation, chew a drinking straw.

Of course, none of this is healthy nor recommended - but at least you're not smoking.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by assh8

First of all, I'm very sorry about your miscarriages! But it's a fairly common thing and many women who have several still go on to have babies.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I did. First, it's important to really WANT it. I wrote down several reasons that I wanted to quit and referred to them often while quitting. Also, it's not going to be easy. If you expect it to be easy, you'll probably fail. Expect it to be hard, because it will be, but know that you can do something that's hard. If you want kids, that's going to be hard. Having a baby is hard. But the results are worth it. Same with quitting smoking. It's hard. Realize that and take it on. Make quitting smoking MORE important than anything else! Because to you, having a baby is the focus, quitting smoking is one step toward that.

I also approached it from several angles. I used patches, herbal cigarettes and chewed on cinnamon sticks, cloves and other harmless hand-to-mouth goodies. I also used self-hypnosis. I didn't put any other stress on myself. I set a date and made it happen.

I had several things I told myself during the worst times:
MILLIONS of regular people have quit smoking! Surely I can do it, too.
I am strong! I can do anything I set my mind to.
Stuff like that.

I quit Aug.19, 2001 and have noticed SO many good consequences! I got my singing voice back and I can BREATHE! It's amazing how my stamina improved! My clothes and house/car don't stink. There are so many good things to look forward to! I was a prisoner to the cigarette and now I'm free! You can do it. It's ALL about the decision.

I wish you all the good luck! But the decision is yours! Take control and make it happen!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

Chewing on a straw is a good idea! It helped me way more than trying to chew gum did. Chewing on plastic probably not the greatest idea but it's probably not as bad as the cigs

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm 28 and smoked cigarettes for 10 years and have gave them up about a year ago, but I didn't have to quit smoking completley. It may not be a solution for most women but I took up pipe smoking and it made it much easier to give up cigs and avoid much of the bad effects of tobacco. Pipe tobacco isn't inhaled as much and doesn't have all the harmful additives cig tobacco has, but you still get nicotine, just not quite as fast and can be more enjoyable. Much lower tax on pipe tobacco also, and it is better quality.
Giving up a pack a day smoking habbit like I used to do means I save over $200 a month, that let me spend it all on pipes and tobacco at first to get started until I had a full set of good pipes. Now that I have them I spend much less per month on just tobacco then I used to on cigs. Once switching to pipe smoking, it is much easier to gradually cut back on how much you smoke too compared to cigarettes because you are just getting the tobacco, no addiction causing additives. I smoked about 6 to 8 bowls a day at first which is about the same as 1 pack a day, now I am down to 2 or 3 bowls a day and have not had to go through any stress from withdrawal to do it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Firstly, thank you friends, for all your support. Rightly said that 'will power' is all that matters. Sure that I don't want to suffer miscarriages anymore....and desperately want to quit. The more I try, it sometimes becomes difficult to resist and I land into severe depression at times.

I know it's a difficult journey, but also have hopes to get out of all this soon. Again thanks for all your support....makes things easier to do it with others facing the same problem

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by assh8

I'm about to boggle your mind with how to quit technique!! I smoked heavy for 7 years and magically quit....How you say?

I just stopped! Sounds easy right? It was.

The reason you "can't" quit is because you don't want to. Even though you think you want to subconsciously you enjoy having cigarettes. When subconsciously you want to quit, you will.

I stopped smoking because, even though I enjoyed it, I felt it was time to stop.

The best way to break a bad habit is to supplement it with a good habit. I stopped smoking and started running and became into active living. That is what you have to do, release your stress. Break the habit of depending on the stick to put off the stress for you, because that is what you are doing, putting off the stress.

Smoking doesn't relieve stress I don't care who tells you it does, it doesn't. It may seem like it reduces your stress but all you are doing is adding more stress. You wanting to quit smoking adds to your stress. So not only do you have life problems now you're thinking you should quit, life seems like a constant struggle.

But I assure you that if you quit and incorporate fitness and healthy eating in your life all the darkness will pass.

Than all you will think about is what to workout tomorrow at the gym rather than when will my next cigarette craving come. Staying positive is hard but it isn't the hardest thing to do.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Equinox99 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by assh8

IMHO Any addiction starts with the mind, break your mind from the addiction and the rest will follow.
I dont smoke but I did drink heavy.One night I sat a 5th of WT on the table and every time I reached for it I would do my best to think of something good that could have been done with the money wasted on alcohol or something bad that I have saw or done while drunk and after a few days the craving for it was gone. Its a mental game of checken to see how long you can hold out. I was sick for a hole month (detoxing) and after that I havent thought about whiskey or beer. Im not going to say it will work for you but its a shot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join