It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the laziest form of Gainful Employment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I was just reading a thread on ATS about unemployed people on welfare being lazy.
We don't really have that kind of welfare state in South Africa, so it's quite fascinating to me.

Perhaps some unemployed people are really lazy.
But I daily see gainfully employed people slagging off in any way they can.
Some are literally sleeping on the job.
Others just couldn't be bothered.

What's worse, many of the laziest people I've seen are wearing uniforms.
Others are in "essential services" like the post-office, home affairs and teaching.
Working people can also bring down a country's position if they are lazy and unproductive.

So I'm wondering: what is the laziest job one can get in YOUR country?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
by job do you mean you are employed by a company or just doing anything that brings income? if yes to the first, then I'd say the laziest job would have to be telephone operator or door greeters. if the second, id have to say sperm donors. actually blood donors because donating sperm required a good amount of effort unless you've got someone to do that for you too.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Security Guard has to be at the top of it in most countries. Seems like the laziest job ever except for the guys that have to do hourly rounds with a bar code scanner on the doors.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
The easiest job is to become a prostitute or to sell illegal products. Almost anyone can do either of these things with a little effort. And just think you dont have to pay taxes too.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Politician of course.

Everything paid for, huge pension, short hours, no accountability.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
I was just reading a thread on ATS about unemployed people on welfare being lazy.
We don't really have that kind of welfare state in South Africa, so it's quite fascinating to me.

Perhaps some unemployed people are really lazy.
But I daily see gainfully employed people slagging off in any way they can.
Some are literally sleeping on the job.
Others just couldn't be bothered.

What's worse, many of the laziest people I've seen are wearing uniforms.
Others are in "essential services" like the post-office, home affairs and teaching.
Working people can also bring down a country's position if they are lazy and unproductive.

So I'm wondering: what is the laziest job one can get in YOUR country?

I love it. A great observation.

I think it is unanimous the Motor Vehicle Department that takes the prize for most apathetic and laziest division of workers in State jobs.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Politician of course.

Everything paid for, huge pension, short hours, no accountability.

Yes and this! Every time something vital needs doing congress takes a vacation.
The Senate is no better. They get months off at a time, health care and decent wages.
Minimum wage workers meanwhile get a pittance, no health care, long hours, no pensions and barely enough wages to put a roof over their head. They cannot possibly earn enough to support a family or prosper.
edit on 22-11-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The laziest working people I saw yesterday?

Three guys with bulging muscles in the pharmacy section where they keep all those protein shakes and diet products.

They were standing in a circle gossiping about something like little schoolgirls.
I literally had to wedge my way under the one guy's arm to to get my "fat burn" drops.
He had his one arm on the shelf, and his foot on the frame.
They first made me feel intimidated (as a lesser male specimen), and I almost left the drops.
But as I minced repeatedly around the aisle, I figured screw it, let's do it.
However, I said to the person who was with me: "How can they employ three guys for one aisle, where nobody ever buys anything?"
OK admittedly, if they do sell one of those protein buckets they probably make a huge profit.
They probably pimp steroids too, if one asks in the right way.
They certainly looked more steroidy than protein-shaky.
Maybe something to try next Sunday?

But that's the crux. These upmarket stores and products that can survive with very few but lucrative sales.
Every exclusive boutique had girls behind the counter playing with their nails, or close to passing out.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tacomaster
The easiest job is to become a prostitute or to sell illegal products. Almost anyone can do either of these things with a little effort. And just think you dont have to pay taxes too.

Illegal products? Jail is not easy.
A prostitute? You call getting murdered easy?
And have you seen photos of the "johns" who need a prostitute to get laid?
With paper bags over their heads it might (by some stretch of the imagination to a true nymphomaniac) be called "easy" but just from the nature of your comment, I can tell you are a man.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Cops play Wii during drug raid.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I suppose being an 18th-century Hermit must be a kind of harsh laziness.
Hermits were hired on roughly six-year contracts, and they were expected to live in caves in the large gardens of the rich. They were expected to have black teeth, long hair, beards and nails, and when guests came for walks they had to engage in philosophy, with themselves or others. Hermits did get days off.
A 2002 search for a hermit caused great interest: www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 22-11-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'd have to agree, security guard could very likely be the laziest form of employment, depending. There are industrial sites that have security nights and weekends, because it reduces their insurance premium significantly. It's a financial win even after paying a security staff. As a guard, you don't have to do much of anything, short of being physically present. Maybe walk some key rounds, but that's the extent of it.

Now I don't know how "gainful" it can be considered, but it's employment.

If I could pick one job where I wouldn't have to do much and yet make some real good money, I'd probably choose quarterback coach for the Colts.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Being some beefcake waiter (at the french restarant) who keeps making moves with his eyes on your best bud roommate.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well considering my postman doesnt deliver the mail until 400 - 430 pm and his vehicle can be found behind the pub down the street all morning long I am going to have to vote for him.

I also Notice alot of the crosswalk guards in my neighborhood sitting inside thier cars, that are parked on the sidewalk next to the intersections, drinking coffee all morning while they hold the stop/walk sign out the driver side window....

~meathead

edit on 24-11-2010 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
A security guard is doing his job,just by being there.

I have stood many security posts and some were boring as heck,and others I busted my butt going from point to point making sure some dang door was still locked,even though I could see that it was.

The hardest job I had was at a retirement community.

Old people are just like children.

Their biological clocks are screwed up and they would be out wandering around in the middle of the night.

I did do a lot of reading on security posts though.

Try doing nothing for 8 hours.

It is a killer.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This goes along the lines of the poster who said politician.. I have some proof to back that up:

I dont know about anywhere else, but in my immediate area I can tell you for a fact that the laziest person with the laziest job is our mayor. LOL! He just got busted ( pictures and all ) sleeping in his city paid for car while it was running out gas for his a/c that my taxes paid for..... in a lane of a local orchard in the middle of the day. Add to this that he just gave himself a raise, hired another secretary, and got a new city vehicle.. well.. its just as darned lazy as it gets.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Some jobs are nothing, nothing, nothing...then all hell breaks loose.
Like a 911 operator. There there can be hours of laziness, then flat-out pandemonium.

I once had a job at the DoD, that could have been my laziest..But I always found something to do. Not everyone did.
So there were opportunities to melt into a chair there.

You could sign up at a sleep research clinic..Paid (small sums of money) to sleep. Those are only temporary though.

Does anyone work at a helpdesk? I could imagine those not requiring much physical exertion.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I was going to say TSA screeners but they use their hands now so that throws that one out so I will go with taste tester for 100000

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I once worked for a local authority / council as a contractor doing PC support and I have never seen a lazier bunch of people in my life.

One guy that had worked there for 40+ years literally played solitaire for the first two hours of the morning, did the times crossword, went to lunch and had two pints of beer, then played solitaire again.
He would take one call a day on a good day.

The council workers had more or less no chance of ever getting fired though, the contractors were a somewhat different matter

new topics

top topics

join