It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People on unemployment are lazy!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Unemployed people don't want to work and instead like to steel from you so they can be lazy.

There is clearly no other reason for people to be unemployed or not working. The best way

to fix unemployment is to end unemployment so people get back to employment, which will end unemployment!

If only it were this simple. This "solution" as you call it....has two BIG factors that must be in place...

1) There must BE jobs...

2) Available jobs must pay enough to be commensurate with the applicant's skills and experience (and education).

The problem is that 1 and 2 are in very short supply. Look, at some point, many folks have to bite the bullet and take a lower-paying job than they would usually take, just to get off unemployment.

But for you to assume they are lazy, is just being dismissive of the realities of the problem. My wife and I are good examples. A few years ago, we took new jobs (different industries) for higher paychecks. Both of us worked at our respective companies for over a year or more. Then, the economy tanked, and those companies began layoffs. Both of us survived a few rounds of cuts, but being newer at each company, and higher paid, we were laid-off. In my case, the project I was managing was simply stopped as it was an expense project (i.e. laying in fibre optic cables). No more project, so no more project manager.

I've never been out of work for more than a couple of weeks in my working lifetime (and that time was spent finding a job, let me tell you). This time, however, it took me four months to find something commensurate, and my wife ended up taking a pay cut, just to be working.

Are you saying I was lazy for those 4 months? I put in more than 40 hrs trying to find a decent job each week.

It's stupid (and irresponsible to your household), to take a job that pays less, or about the same as unemployment, if you are used to a higher paycheck. You've still got bills, and even cutting down and with belt-tightening, you'll be slitting your own throat. Unemployment is intended to allow you some time to find a job, simple as that, it isn't replacement income. I don't know about you, but I never WANT to be on unemployment again...and hopefully, I'll be in a position one day to be working for myself...but to call them lazy? That's a real sweeping statement.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

for one example, it is an unfortunate thing when people whom choose a position that is often easily replaceable
by someone cheaper,
I often see many people choose careers that are popular.
that only makes things more on the risky end when times get tough.
You have had a struggle and nice to see you are still pushing.

I personally have never had trouble finding well paid jobs, but that is because I stay in demand
by career choices and that is something that is not unatainable if people choose wisely

I watched a movie this weekend called "Up in the air" with George Clooney.
he is a contracted firing agent.
the movie has some good points about getting a new job and why.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I'm going to assume that this is sarcasm and a satire of the ridiculous logic that those who want to pull unemployment benefits employ.

But, just in case it's not, I'm sure that my father loves making ~300 dollars a week from his unemployment check when he used to make 300 dollars in about a day and a half. I'm sure his constant whining about being bored is just a cover up.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

The vast majority of jobs are replaceable and easily automated/outsourced. And if they're not, well, you just sponsor somebody from abroad on a Visa.

Also, many jobs that are being outsourced, automated, or eliminated these days were thought to be sure things for decades. Unfortunately, most people aren't oracles.

Seriously, consider yourself lucky. When most jobs are replaceable, that means that most of the population is going to run into trouble at some point no matter what they do.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Janky.....I really don't mean to be rude, and i fully accept this post may be deleted, but

Shut up. You obviously just came up with a 2 second theory that in reality, would not work.

People get hurt. Unemployment needs to be given in a monetary system. That's life.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There are people who have paid into the system for over 30 years and have never collected a dime until maybe a couple of years ago. They have worked their entire lives and taken minumum wage when there was nothing else. Then out of the blue bam, their recent company decides to close or move out of the country or hire illegal immigrants or whatever. In any case, they are now jobless and there are more applicants than there are jobs.

You have college educated kids who are working in fast food joints. You have people who are at retirement age who cannot afford to retire. You have illegal immigrants willing to work for less than minumum wage etc.

Some people cannot afford to move anywhere to find employment. There are a myriad of reasons why one remains unemployed for a long time. When you are collecting unemployment, you have to prove that you are looking for work. They don't simply hand over checks. To simply say they are all lazy is insulting and lacks compassion for your fellow man.

I myself am living off of savings. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard "I am sorry we are not hiring right now.
I'm sorry, we just laid off some of our employees.
I'm sorry, we just went down to 4 day work weeks and are not hiring at this time.
You need to be bilingual and speak spanish because most of our workers speak it.
I'm sorry but we just reduced our work force.
You need so many years of experience, no exceptions.
We don't have time to train.

Don't be heartless and ignorant and make a blanket statement that is supposed to cover all people.

Our homeless shelters are filled to capacity and tent cities are rising. You really think people want to live like that? Here where I am from it gets very cold in the winters. Do you think all our homeless people survive?

Maybe you have a comfy job for now or live at home with mommy and daddy. Many do not.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Excellent post Night Star, we can only hope things turn around soon, how much more loss can we take, my heart goes out to the unemployed, living in the Detroit area and auto country I know many who are unemployed and no one will hire them as many employers think they will go back to their old jobs when and if the economy turns around, what they don't realize is many of those jobs are gone forever.

You make a good point about people moving to another area or state, for most that is impossible, they are lucky to put food on the table for their families.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
i cant believe this useless Thread made it to the top ten...

it was clearly aimed to get attention...well it worked

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrydog
i cant believe this useless Thread made it to the top ten...

it was clearly aimed to get attention...well it worked

What???

It does not create the danger of STDs

So much open communication and so little partisan bickering is horrible for the human condition.

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Janky, when I saw you taking Sharron Angle's line of "reasoning" I knew something was up. I am surprised at the number of people who are seriously engaging with you on this issue and wonder where they all are when the usual trolls post such junk and get hundreds of replies in support of them. Maybe they, like me, get tired of arguing with fools, and making posts that are totally ignored.

To actually really address the issue of unemployment compensation for a moment, I have to point out that in my state at least, if you are fired for "just cause" (lying, stealing, shooting your boss, etc.) you do not get unemployment compensation. Your former employer has to affirm that you have been laid off through no fault of your own. And then, of course, unemployment lasts for only a limited amount of time. These factors tend to preclude those who just want to "live high off the government."

Some years ago, when I had a "good" job, I suffered a complete mental breakdown and was hospitalized for a month. When I got out I was still barely able to function and had to move in with my brother and sister-in-law. It took me some time to get back on my feet.

This did not stop my conservative "friends" and family from telling me that I was "stealing" from the government by accepting unemployment benefits and should immediately get a job cleaning toilets (they assumed anyone could do this job even if one was hallucinating that there were snakes in them). With the vast amount of income this job would provide I was to move out of my brother's house post-haste and get an acceptably middle-class apartment and manage to live in it and take care of it alone. Anything short of this was just laziness and lack of character on my part.

These folks were really invested in their ideology and I've no doubt believed that these measures would actually help me recover. In their eyes they were practicing "tough love." It might be useful to mention that many of these advisors were collecting Social Security at the time and saw no contradiction in that.

Needless to say, these well-meaning individuals are no longer my friends.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I'm somewhat sure someone already said this, I didn't read through the entire thread yet but honestly, I doubt that just because someone is not on unemployment they would have a job. I mean, here in this remote part of nowhere where I'm from...Jobs are fairly scarce. You need to move away and get a job in a company that's got enough room to hire more people. Also, you should probably have a degree of some sort which obviously takes some college time. The problem is, that when most of the jobs in the area are filled you have no way to work, to go to school, to get that degree, to get a job that's two counties or several states away.

Well, that's how I feel most of the time anyway. I am collecting unemployment while I try to find work, but I turned down a job or two that would pay "under the table" just for a little bit of side work and "side cash". There were no guarantees I'd stay or what not so I turned it down. Eh, that seems a bit hypocritical but I turned it down not out of laziness but out of respect for the benefits. Too, I am fairly skilled in a lot of different ways but have no piece of paper claiming I graduated from a college to back that up. Everytime I look for a job dealing with computers or psychology (I know I know, degrees are important there for sure, but I do a lot of research on my own. Seriously, a lot of research.) I supposedly do not know what I'm doing since I do not have a degree. Unemployment is not enough to go through college on, obviously, and without other jobs out there, how else am I supposed to pay for it?

Basically, what runs through my head is "I'm unintelligent because I don't have money." I doubt it's what companies think but still...and finally, to end my ranting response to your rant, I've heard many times "Get a student loan then when you get out of college and get a good job, you can pay it off then." What they don't tell you is that you pay it off until you are an older version of yourself and it sucks your funds from you unless you're rich. Even at that, there is NO guarentee in this world today that there will be a job waiting for you in your field of study.

My sister went to college for accounting, a fairly expensive college too...just to get out and get a job at Gamestop. Not that it's a bad job, but she was looking for more of a professional job. Not assistant manager at a video game store. So now, she's spending more money to go back and get a teaching job. Meh, hope it works out for her.

Well...as it is, I let the rant get too out of hand. My apologies. Though, I might want to suggest before you jump on the bandwagon and yell into the poor streets from the safety of your job-filled cart, "People on unemployment are lazy!!" Think for a minute.

If you were struck with the unfortunate event of a job loss and started collecting employment...Would you not go out and look for a new job? Would you not try and get one at any chance you had? Just because we're unemployed doesn't mean that we would answer those questions any differently than you. Unless of course you do run across someone who does think they deserve something for nothing, but that's a slightly different story.

/rant.

...long rant.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I think the lazy people are the greedy corporate scum and their investors who export all the jobs and industry then use some of the money they save to buy more politicians and to lobby for more job killing free trade agreements. I want people off unemployment, but the way to do that isn't to cut them off, it is to force the jobs back over here. We need to cancel all free trade agreements like NAFTA and others, take away China's most favored nation status, reduce taxes on companies that have all their operations within the US, and raise tariffs.

We also need real labor unions, the ones we have now are just obvious corporate fronts, they don't do anything about all the free trade except talk , they let the Dems take them for granted by giving unconditional support so the Dems know they can get away with breaking promisies to roll back free trade. Labor unions used to never handle "hot goods" either, stuff that was handled by non-unionized labor at any point. If they would still do that nobody could get away with exporting jobs to cheap labor countries because they wouldn't be able to get their cheap goods unloaded off of ships or transported by trucks anyway.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys but when I work, I pay unemployment benefits on each and every pay. Yes, that benefits other people when I work but hey, when I get out of a job, I'll be receiving money that is actually in essence owed to me come to think about it.

Just to clarify OP, not all people on unemployment are lazy. Comes to show you've never been on it and don't know what it's like. It's very degrading and addictive, yes addicitive. Think about it, you have no real financial responsibilities when it comes to labouring for your paycheck so it's easy to get hooked on the system of "free" money which at the end of the day is not free as explained before...

Cheers and please close this dumb thread!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Yes, but unemployed people are improving their typing skills here at this forum

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

You want to know why so many people are unemployed? Banks can't hire all of them!

Alex Jones on YouTube - It's the Bankers or Us (THEY ! Are Winning)

YouTube - It's the Bankers or Us
Address:www.youtube.com...

Directory:Infowars and Prison Planet by Alex Jones - PESWiki
Address:peswiki.com...:Infowars_and_Prison_Planet_by_Ale\
x_Jones

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join