It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Girl's Hand Saved by Grafting It to Her Leg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Chinese Girl's Hand Saved by Grafting It to Her Leg

www.aolhealth.com

By Deborah Huso Nov 19th 2010 12:17PM

Categories: News
While it may sound like the stuff of science fiction, Chinese surgeons recently saved a young girl's hand by grafting it temporarily to her leg. Nine-year-old Ming Li was run over by a tractor in July, resulting in the severing of her left hand from her arm. Her arm was too badly crushed to reattach the hand at the time, so in order to preserve it for reattachment later, doctors at Zhengzhou Hospital temporarily grafted it to her right leg to keep it alive.

Three months later, once her arm was sufficiently healed, doctors reattache
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
(I did a search and could not find anything on this)

This is kinda cool, but also creepy in a Frankenstein-ish medical experimentation kind of way lol!

I am glad to be living in times where we have the science and technology to heal such as the case presented here.

Ran over by a tractor? If its the kind of tractor im thinkin about (soviet era with huge wheels n tires) then this girl got very very lucky that shes even alive.

--GeminiSky

www.aolhealth.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The little girl is really lucky to have her hand saved... And the doctors did a good job ...I don't think it is a easy thing to graft her hand on her leg...really great .

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by GeminiSky

That is amazing. I can't help but wonder about all the little tendons and muscles in a wrist.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I was going to be a you-know-what and say "pics or it didn't happen", but there just happens to be two pictures (not gory) on the article your article references.

They say it isn't all that uncommon but it's still kinda creepy to me. Makes me wonder what kind of sensations she felt when the hand was attached to her leg.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
THIS is breaking news??!!
Last time I was in the the OR this is basic Reconstructive Surgery...
commonly referred to as a "Flap" or "Transflap"!
Though not as common as say...breast implants...it's been done
since the 50's successfully!
And yeah, it IS an awesome procedure isn't it??

Flaps and Microsurgery

Flap Breast Reconstruction

top topics

join