It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank Exxon for the creation of Autotune.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm a musician never used autotune (i'd like to mess around with it someday). Just thought it was interesting how it came about.

Auto-Tune was initially created by Andy Hildebrand, an engineer working for Exxon. Hildebrand developed methods for interpreting seismic data, and subsequently realized that the technology could be used to detect, analyze, and modify pitch.[3]

YES!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Thats pretty awesome. I thought it was Antares.

I dont like it though......too obvious

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Reconciler

I think it can probably be used in some other creative manners instead of brittney singing through it. I've seen dj's with turntables running through auto tune and it keeps all the samples in tune and stuff like that. (I think there are some vids on youtube)
edit on 21-11-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

EDIT: I also wonder what it would do if you ran a beat through it.
edit on 21-11-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Autotune in some form is probably used on about 80 -90% of everything you hear on mainstream radio. Be it rock, pop, soul, country or whatever.

If it's done well it's very hard to notice if you're not a professional engineer.

The really obvious plastic-like effect is usually some form of vocoder, which is a very different effect. It's been around since the 70's.

But it is kind of funny that we can blame Exxon for ruining our environment as well as our music

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

Hahah. They didn't ruin our music. Its just an effects processor that makes singers sound a little better. I use it all the time on vocals and you can't tell its there.

And then along comes t-pain who decides to turn the thing on full blast

Besides, people were saying guitar distortion was ruining music when that became popular. Now it's a huge part of our culture.
edit on 11/21/2010 by BobbinHood because: more thoughts

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Don't blame autotune for all the crappy music being played on top-hits radio. There's no way most of that music could be anything other than grating. That being said, bitching about the current state of music is just wrong. If you look outside what's on clear channel or for sale at WalMart there's actually a heck of a lot of really amazing, interesting music being made in any genre you can think of.
Interesting to know that Exxon is behind autotune though. Now if they'd just stop dicking around and get to work on a safer way to get oil out of the ground. They could even use autotune when they announce the solution. It would become a huge hit on iTunes. Bed Intruder huge.

top topics

join