It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The one thing everyone should have... P38

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Most of the members on ATS are too young to know about the old John Wayne P38
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29b01961b9e9.jpg[/atsimg]

What is it many of you are asking right now...Well it's a can opener, a screw driver, perfect tool for field striping the old M14, great toenail and finger picker, I recon if you lost your guitar pick you could use it for that too!

Officially it is without a doubt The Best Army Invention Ever

Wiki says
The P-38, developed in 1942,[1] is a small can opener issued in the canned field rations of the United States Armed Forces from World War II to the 1980s. Originally designed for and distributed in the K-ration, it was later included in the C-ration.

P39

Personally I have carried mine for almost 40 years now (same one I first took out of a case of C RATS) and I never stop finding uses for it... my advice... if you don't have one get one, hell get twenty, their cheap and give them to all your friends as X-mas gifts

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I've had one of these on my keys for over 25 years. So handy in so many instances.
Occasionally I even use it to open a can!
I use a much lighter guitar pick, though, but I guess it could work in a pinch.

edit on 21-11-2010 by subject x because: (no reason given)

link   
oops! Don't know what happened here.

link   
Or here!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I bought two models the 38 and the 60 which I believe are the same you posted the pics of...maybe I'm wrong ...but the 60 is a bit larger..

Yes I 100% agreee...everyone needs at least one of these....I myself got them in bulk...reasons..below

-can be silver soldered or tied to anything...hand to hand skin ripping weapon "imagine a baton with 15 of these attatched to it"

- gut hook for skinning an animal

- if sharpened up a bit , a well placed 38 will cut trip wire string..."trap trigers"

- open can O food...bout forgot that one...LOL

- the sky is the limit as for uses of this item...if you open your eyes and think out of the box!

anyways yall get the idea...TY once again for great info....DB

CX

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I always have these on hand, but thanks for the reminder.

I have one on my keys, one in my Maxpedition EDC pouch thats always with me, one in my EDC backpack thats always with me, two in each of mine and my girls BOB's and a couple in my cutlery drawer in the kitchen.

Whenever my other can openers break, these always have my back.

CX.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

This thread just made me hungry for some C-rats. I loved em. Beef and rocks FTW.

For many years I had a John Wayne on my key chain.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I'll star and flag this. How many people would be up the creek without a paddle with plenty of canned goods and no way to open them if their electric can-opener didn't have electricity?

The P38 can be kept on a key chain, and as you pointed out it's got a lot of uses.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberspy

This thread just made me hungry for some C-rats. I loved em. Beef and rocks FTW.

For many years I had a John Wayne on my key chain.

I'll second that. Next C-rats, MREs are like fine dining at the Ritz, lol.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Ya all know as long as you had enough tabasco sauce the ham and eggs were tolerable

well maybe not...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I love my p-38..

showed it to my wife 20 years ago and now we have them all over the house and in our vehicles.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Yery usefull and in a tiny package, Smaller than a car key.
If you are going to buy them online then find the lowest price you can and get 10 or twenty and give as gifts.
The shipping will cost more than the tool.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Thinking about this thread. I just remembered something that happened to me about 30 years ago. It involves a P38/John Wayne.

Ya know they tell ya, "When you heat the cans put holes in them first." Well, not everyone follows these direction. Especially a dumb recruit like I was.

I had heated me up a can of Mac & Cheese on the exhaust manifold of a diesel. Without following the above rule. The can wasn't super duper hot. But I did have to wear a glove to hold on to it. So I takes me trusty John Wayne and punches a hole in the top of the can.

I'm sure some of you old timers know what happened next.

I got shot in the face with a steaming hot stream of melted cheese! It hurt like an S.O.B. I dropped the can, fell over backwards hollering while trying to wipe off what felt like molten lava from my face. Luckily none of I got in my eyes. Everyone who was there at the time almost died laughing. Took a long while for me to live that one down.
edit on 21-11-2010 by Cyberspy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yep I remember the trusty P38, girlfriend does too.
Got tired of those cheap hand screw can openers
pulled it off my dog tags and we used for years.
She got good with it and fast too, the cool thing
is she didn't mind using it!!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I thought you were talking about this:

...but anyhow, that's cool little tool!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You can not find those in the stores anymore. You use to be able to find them at the flea market and at any camping store and even Walmart. But not it seem the best place to but them is on line.
P-38 for sell online
That is where I am getting mind from. I use to have a dozen or so on them but now I am down to just one. Time to restock.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My advice try the made in china....er....dollar store...thats where i got my last half dozen of em.....
Handy leetle boogers.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Does this count as twice as good as the P38

THE P76
en.wikipedia.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a3931eb39c4.jpg[/atsimg]

Its is double 38

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I like to buy these in bulk at gun shows and give them as little gifts to everyone I know. It is one of those gifts you give to someone and they just had never thought of buying one for themselves. It makes a great cheap memorable gift.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
i carry a stainless P-58
a precision ground set of stainless tweezers by AG RUSSEL
the worlds smallest stainless folding knife
and a 3 inch uncut car key, all bound together with a black rubber band.

but you really need a handcuff key and a guitar string sewn into your clothing so you can escape. the guitar string is for cutting through zipties and you can use it as a garret

top topics

<<   2 >>

join