It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's all give a "thumbs up" to South Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I must say, as a South African, I'm extremely PROUD of what we achieved with the world cup soccer this year. So many people wrote us off. Saying the stadiums won't be built in time, and that we didn't have the infrastructure, and that FIFA was considering Australia..... WRONG!!

SA pulled off one of the most amazing and brilliant sports event ever! Just look at the Green Point Stadium in Cape Town

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5dc1cf2f71ce.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyone interested in seeing it built, can go here:

pitchinvasion.net...

It's even better with the lights on at night

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cb008b5b3ce1.jpg[/atsimg]

Not to mention the Love we received from big name stars, and performers like the Black Eyed Peas and K'Naan

Now consider this, the Gauteng area (which is like the GTA area here in Toronto) accounts for 4% of Africa's GDP
I don't think any area can claim that on it's continent!

What can I say.... I Love my home land

To all you SAffers out there on ATS, Thumbs up "Boeties"
We rock, and you guys make me PROUD!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Are you proud of the rapes and murders of the minorities in your country? The media never covers this because of the gold and diamonds of this despicable country.Country of Rape

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Congratulations! I'm not into soccer, and I'm really not a sports fan at all, but I can see that you are proud of your country's accomplishments in this are and you should be. Very nice-looking stadium!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thewanger

I was focusing on the positive. You want to go to the negative? Let me ask you one thing, have you ever been to SA? Have you been shot at? I Have! Have you been hijacked? I Have!

So what are you bringing to the table here? Negativity! Yes, SA has it's problems, but I'm focusing on the good, not the bad!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks BH, always nice for someone to admit SA did a good job

We have our problems, but when the SHTF, we stick together! Rugby World cup 1995 - Man, was that awesome!

Here's a video of SAA flying over the stadium

edit on 21-11-2010 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I agree. I was suprised by the efforts achieved.

I have an acquaintance from SA and she was so proud of not only the event itself but how even whites and blacks were united. And she moved here to Aus for work, but told me how she could not even go to the shops back home because women were unable to be secure - she mentioned most of the time they had to have shopping home delivered... yet she never said a bad word about the place.

So ignore those who want to post negativity on this one..

Oh, except for that bloody vuvuzela...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Yah, that Vuvuzela haunts me

That was developed from a Kudu horn. The black dudes in SA used a Kudu horn to make that sound at soccer games, and some white afrikaans boy made a plastic device to simulate it - ergo the birth of the Vuvuzela.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by badw0lf

Yah, that Vuvuzela haunts me

That was developed from a Kudu horn. The black dudes in SA used a Kudu horn to make that sound at soccer games, and some white afrikaans boy made a plastic device to simulate it - ergo the birth of the Vuvuzela.

Lol, sounds about right !! haha

I had no idea of it's origins tho, interesting, I've never seen a Kudu horn.

I'd love to visit there one day. Ahh well..

(Lol I just googled it, and yes I've seen those! haha!! )
edit on 21/11/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Mmmhh ... They make good biltong (or jerkey as you US guys call it). Jerkey sucks though - Biltong rules. I make my own here, and the guys at work love it! The Kudu is a majestic animal, impressive horns and just beautiful to look at. If you like seeing animals from Africa, I'm trying to put together a load of photos I have from SA. Alaskan Man's thread on the moose he video taped has inspired me to do so.

It will take some time, but I promise, I will post in due time

If you want, U2U an e-mail addy, and I'll zip and send all to you

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
Are you proud of the rapes and murders of the minorities in your country? The media never covers this because of the gold and diamonds of this despicable country.Country of Rape

You have the right idea and I think your heart is in the right place but you are aiming wildly, firing shots off the mark that don't make a lot of sense.

Think about the question you are asking?
Do you suppose this poster, clearly proud of his country, is really also "proud" of any of those things?
Or are you trying to be cute? Not cute.

I am certain the untenable situation in parts of the country are as great a source of heartbreak and pain as the gang and drug violence, child trafficking and preventable gun deaths happening right now in the good old USA is to you. We have a good deal of rape and murder too...even with a stable government including police, a justice and penal system and security....Is anyone calling you out on it as if it represents you or is your fault?

And another thing...Despicable country? Country is land and more land. Land cannot be despicable.
People can be despicable but never the land they reside on or in.

Perhaps a nice walk will clear these absurd notions out of your head.

(S&F)
edit on 21-11-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I must say, as a South African, I'm extremely PROUD of what we achieved with the world cup soccer this year. So many people wrote us off. Saying the stadiums won't be built in time, and that we didn't have the infrastructure, and that FIFA was considering Australia..... WRONG!!

SA pulled off one of the most amazing and brilliant sports event ever! Just look at the Green Point Stadium in Cape Town

Why does that look like one huge FEMA detention facility? Maybe its the solid silver tone with no windows and what appear to be cattle gates. Not saying it IS one just saying it appears ominous and uninviting to me. lol
edit on 21-11-2010 by Sly1one because: wording

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Ohh we get Billtong here too, a lot sweeter than the usual jerky - I'm a sucker for both however, the jerky does last longer as it's usually like a tree trunk. Then again, that could just be the brand of billtong I get. hehe.

As soon as I saw the horn in a google image search I remembered what the animal looked like. You aren't wrong!

Cheers mate, U2U sent!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Why does that look like one huge FEMA detention facility? Maybe its the solid silver tone with no windows and what appear to be cattle gates. Not saying it IS one just saying it appears ominous and uninviting to me. lol
edit on 21-11-2010 by Sly1one because: wording

And that is when the Aussies arent there in droves setting up tents in the middle of it!!

hahaha, fun times
I'd have loved to been there..

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I love you Aussies! No wonder so many of my SA buddies have moved there. My uncle has done so recently.

Now, let me open a can of worms, what Super 14 team do you support? Me - the Blue Bulls and The Sharks!

top topics

join