It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ability to see ghosts.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I'd like to discuss this matter. I have long pondered why some people seem to be able to see ghosts and others don't. I personally belong to the latter group who cannot see ghost however they want.. My problem is that I lack all the paranormal experiences people here are talking about, so obviously I naturally am pretty skeptic about them.

Some people say that the ability to experience paranormal runs in the family. This hints to the direction that it is a capability of certain type of mind, and this type may be inherited within a family. It may have something do with nervestructures..

No matter, I suspect that capability to see ghosts and experience other paranormal activities is a real phenomena. So many people are reporting them in various forms so I hardly find it as fake. But what causes some people to experience these more often and some cannot experience them ever?

Also, because science haven't been able to prove existence of ghosts, it hints to the fact that they belong to in the sphere of subjective experiences. For example, swiss psychiatrist C.G Jung argued that it is a result of our abstract thinking which renders us incapable of visualizing our thoughts. He has shown that it is more common within the primitive people that they are able to see their thoughts, especially when they think of their deceased relatives. They see them as ghosts.

Personally I have done quite much to got a glimpse of the paranormal, but to no avail. Am I simply so dense that no ghost can appear to me? I can only see them in dreams.. Regardless of many people telling stories about ghosts and such, I cannot trust these stories without any personal experience. As already mentioned, I've gone into places said to be haunted, I've tried attuning in different moods and state of minds by meditation. I have tried visualizing.. But no, no ghost whatsover.

Does anyone have any theory of why?

-v

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

There has never been a theologian, philosopher, mathematician, scientist who has ever proved the existence of "Ghosts"

Ask yourself, do you really believe the Quija boards are controlled by spirits? It was originally designed as a game where people would pick letters automatically with their mind. They put blindfolds on people as a test and what do you know? It was garbled nonsense.

I think that if you don't believe in Ghosts, you will fail to see one, if you do, you will be wishful, and may just mistake anything, any phenomena as a Ghost or Supernatural.

I'm going to be skeptical and say this Ghost thing is about as legitimate as "God"

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

But even if it all happens within one's head, isn't it still like an interesting phenomena at least? And why isn't it legimate? People are still experiencing such things. Instead of ruling out it as mere nonesense, I would rather ask what is this phenomena and what it is based on?

Even it may be merely fantasising and accidentally visualizing these fantasies or thoughts, it has some cause and reason, maybe evolutionary or something.

There are quite interesting psychological explanations that may shed light on this issue. And according to my own experiences (I have some, but not seen ghosts) these explanations may be to right direction. We may be capable to see thoughtforms, which are visualized thoughts and may even be visible in groups. Many people have reported seeing something along with others, but would you ask them about details, the details would be different.

I think it may have lot to do with our evolution and that we are social animals capable of uniform action based on ideas. Sometimes we just see these ideas as concrete visions. Sometimes "ghosts" are just our inner "demons", thoughts that get shady and intimidating forms..

I really don't know - but I suspect a lot

-v
edit on 21-11-2010 by v01i0 because: 33332

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
When I was in college, we went to a field trip (in Camiguin, an island in the Philippines with waterfalls and hot springs) and took a class pic on the second floor of a cottage. There is another guy that appeared in the pic who is not part of our class. He is basically floating in the air because he was posing at the back of the class pic and we posed at the railing of the second floor. I will post that pic here if I find that pic again. I'm sure it is just somewhere in the many boxes in our storeroom.

Another strange thing that we experienced there is that after we woke up in the morning, we were sleeping on the bag of the person next to us. We slept in one very big tent and we used our bags as our pillows and we slept besides each other. When we woke in the morning, I was sleeping on the bag of the person next to me and the other person besides me was the one sleeping on my bag. We just attributed it to an earthquake that might have shook us and we all rolled in a synchronized manner. There are probably twenty of us in that tent.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

I think you're right there, I agree. I can't say i've ever seen anything like that in my life. But given the power of suggestion, if i was to walk into a "Haunted" building, my mind MAY play tricks on me, even if skeptical.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

We've seen lots of ghost images and pictures, but I'd like to see one myself, with my very eyes. But I doubt this will happen, because I rather hear voices. The tent event you were describing could involve anything. I don't want to start guessing tho.

-v

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Re v01i0

My favourite theory is the one proposed by Aldous Huxley: As it's impossible for the average human being to relate to the total amount of information we constantly recieve, we 'filter' this information into categories of relevant/irrelevant. Together with individual, genetic patterns for variation on how such filters manifest, there's a great deal of environmental influences at play. A person growing up in a society, where technology and money-earning/consuming are prominent will not have much need for the ability of experiencing anomalities.

Though some mental techniques, drugs or extreme situations can momentarily paralyze these filters.

As to the possibility to verify such experiences of anomalities, mankind simply doesn't possess any present methodology, which will satisfy public or academic cosensus 'answers' on the subject. Such a methodology isn't impossible to create, but the century old conflict between science, religion and the paranormal has made their epistemological positions rather entrenched. Though as an amateur meta-physicist myself, I hope a functional reconcilation will happen eventually.

Basically I start with the methods of contemporary hard science, when evaluating experiences, but then I have also had more than my fair share of anomaly experiences parallel to this. So naturally I'm working all the time to find inclusive models, where both perspectives can give meaning together.

You can, and must, roam quite a bit to find such inclusiveness. E.g. the various suggestions on this thread could range from 'there's something objective out there', via 'we make re-constructions in our minds of something which really is out there. Though something so weird, that we can't percieve or conceptualize it, so we familiarize it'. To 'it's all very convincing fantasies'.

I believe, that the anomaly/science combination which is most attractive is the idea of a holographic universe. But to grasp the implications of this, some knowledge of science, epistemology, asian cosmologies and a bit of philosophy is necessary.

On a practical note. Don't play with fire, motivated by idle curiousity, sensationalism or thrill-seeking. Some of the things 'out there' are NOT nice (as mankind defines nice), and the consequences for the individual who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time can be very drastic.

If you're interested and want to use some time on creating a sensible theoretical basis, I have some rather non-secterian and non-'guru' authors I can recommend you, who on a rather pragmatic background give some relevant information.
edit on 21-11-2010 by bogomil because: syntax

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Originally posted by bogomil
As it's impossible for the average human being to relate to the total amount of information we constantly recieve, we 'filter' this information into categories of relevant/irrelevant. Together with individual, genetic patterns for variation on how such filters manifest, there's a great deal of environmental influences at play. A person growing up in a society, where technology and money-earning/consuming are prominent will not have much need for the ability of experiencing anomalities.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that would be the case. Culture and enviroments have great effect on our ways of experiencing the world.

Though some mental techniques, drugs or extreme situations can momentarily paralyze these filters.

I know, I have had some experience about this.. Not with drugs or extreme situation, but meditation. I've shared this experience in another thread and I also shared my opinion of what happened.

If you're interested and want to use some time on creating a sensible theoretical basis, I have some rather non-secterian and non-'guru' authors I can recommend you, who on a rather pragmatic background give some relevant information.

Sure, lemme know and I check if I can access that info.

-v

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
While it's probably impossible to avoid some bias, the following authors are relatively 'unsullied' and at least base their work on solid research or direct pragmatic experience.

P.D. Ouspensky: "The psychology of man's possible evolution"

Ouspensky was a student of Gurdjieff's teachings, and the book presents a new model of human psychology, related to various asian genuine esoteric traditions. Together with the other books by Gurdjieff or his students, this teaching contains (amongst other things) the seeds of an alternative chakra-model, which is more integrated/patterned than the common hierarchial version and a strong recommandation on 'being awake' as opposite to the robotsleep mankind lives in.

Colin Wilson: "Alien dawn"

In which the author gives a somewhat dry, but informative, compilation of the variety of beings experienced in contexts of anomality. In spite of the book's name, it's not a nuts-and-bolts ET book, rather more paranormal.

Carlos Castaneda: "The active side of infinity"

Castanedo was an anthropologist, but ended eventually as a student of the shaman Don Juan. The book is (to my knowledge) the final in a series, and can be read alone. Here are described some non-human entities, which parasite on mankind and inhibit our abilty for spiritual clarity and developement. Sounds like new-age bla-bla, but is really quite instructive and coherent. Parallel to such thoughts is..

John L. Lash: "Not in his image"

This book has some strong opposition to Abrahamic theology, doctrine and practise, and contains a special interpretation of gnosticism, especially on the subject of 'archons', entities oppressing mankind. Lash is a brilliant scholar and one of my favourites.

William Bramley: "The gods of Eden"

Kind of 'ancient astronaut' thing, but more true academic in approach and with solid research. The main theme in the book is a 'prison planet' or 'cattle planet' model, and encompasses strong elements of global conspiracy by non-humans. Actually not very sensationalist as it could sound.

And last, but not least, three books writen by Robert A. Monroe.

Monroe is completely undoctrinal, and treats his subject, out-of-body experiences, almost as a report on his journeys 'out there', the beings he meets, his thoughts on the whole thing etc. There's nothing occult about it, he writes as the technical person he basically was. He's the inventor of the audio-system for creating specific brain-wave patterns (e.g. the alpha state) called 'Hemi-synch'. I use this system myself, but I know from experiments, that not everybody benefits from it in a context of meditation/OBE and similar.
edit on 21-11-2010 by bogomil because: spelling

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Thanks! I am familiar with some of those authors like Ouspensky, Castaneda and Monroe. I have also utilized some of their techniques (and also whole lotta more). I found Gurdjieff quite intriguing, Castaneda was only entertaining and Monroe.. Isn't that the guy with institution?

Anyhow, in my personal sphere of experiences, I have found their theories flawed in some points, but of course they have given me lot. I am just not totally satisfied with their ideas, but generally they are pretty good. All those you mentioned spiced with some alchemical, mystical sources and of course Dr. Jung and his knowledge in psychology, mystical traditions and symbolism together is something which has potential to be build upon.. I guess. Oh and I forgot to mention both Krishnamurtis. But first and foremost I observe my experiences carefully. One could say I lead pretty disciplined life, although it doesn't necessarily show out. It is just that I observe myself and my environment as much as possible.. Ever since I started, I have realized such odd things about myself and others and about the culture and mankind in general + also about the great system we live in. It's wonderful yet merciless. Like a true god, yet no definition of god will do justice for it
But I have to bend my neck before it (out of respect, not from belief)-

I will look up if I can acquire the other sources you mentioned. Thanks again!

-v
edit on 21-11-2010 by v01i0 because: 9050

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

It is an interesting phenomena to be able to see the dead, but I can assure you all it is not a blessing, no, more like a curse. Some will bother you until you have to banish them. Others will follow you around and some will play tricks. I try to avoid hospitals, nursing homes, and anyplace else where people die often. The only thing seeing a dead person does for me is this, proves life after death.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Well that sounds annoying. Nonetheless interesting

Can you speak to them? Can you ask them who they are when and how did they die? Is there anyway for you to confirm yourself that you are not seeing thoughts about the dead? I wouldn't mind seeing them also, to be able to judge whether all that isn't just my imagination.

If you are having such quality, I am curious! Do they hang around on cemetaries? How long do they stay visible to you? Could you talk to my dead grandma if you would go to her grave? Could you perhaps go and talk to some notorious people and ask about their opinions of afterlife?

Too many questions?

-v

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

In fact, correction to the OP. I actually have once seen ghosts in my parents house. But I pretty young (under 10) and was having something like 40C fever back then.. I saw an endless line of "ghosts" marching through my room, entering through the door (which was closed) and exiting through an opposite wall. I'd say that this was an hallusination caused by high fever. I just remember that I watched them without fear and awe, drifting by slowly as if I wasn't there for them.

-v

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

We've seen lots of ghost images and pictures, but I'd like to see one myself, with my very eyes. But I doubt this will happen, because I rather hear voices. The tent event you were describing could involve anything. I don't want to start guessing tho.

-v

You might want to come to the Philippines. Almost everyone has paranormal experiences that it is almost taken for granted. If you want to see one, try to stay in old houses. For some reason, ghosts like to stay in old houses. We used to live in an old house and there are instances when it seems that someone just passed by and is caught by the corner of my eye. When I look in the direction where that person is going, there is no one there.

Here is a story about the ghosts in Malacañang Palace, the country's version of White House:

services.inquirer.net...#

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Probably no reason to pollute more air by flying to the Philippines as we do have our own haunted places here too
In fact, not far from my parents place in my "hometown", there is an old house which has been widely reported to be haunted since 1800's. The story tells that grumpy old sea captain who forbid his daughter relationship to a seaman imprisoned her and later the girl disappeared, maybe drowned on nearby shore.

Then we have cemetary of non-christians which is not "blessed" ground, and again people seem to believe it haunts there. Well, I've been in these places, but where are the ghosts? So I have had no options as to explain them as a socio-cultrural phenomenas, experienced in subjective realm (=imagination) by people who have capability to do so - be it based on a nervous structure or cultural differences, I don't know.

I cannot believe in ghost, but I haven't got issue if other people do. As they seem. And all are of course based on personal experiences, and some even say that their friends saw it too. Well yeah, couple people saw a missile too! Well, too tired to type on, so I logovski.

-v

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I believe that we are all born with Psychic abilities. As children start to grow they often talk about imaginary friends and people that they can see and talk to. Most parents will tell their children that there is nobody there and they are just imagining it. The child is told this repeatedly over a period of time, and so eventually the child believes that to be the case and eventually the friends go away and then stay away. Because what the mind doesn't understand or can't explain it buries deep inside. These abilities then lay dormant in the brain waiting to re-merge. With a lot of people that is where these abilities stay. But with others something will trigger a chain of events that activates what was forgotten, and it is then that you start wanting answers to questions that you can't answer.

There are a few people though who never lose their abilities and develop them to become clairvoyants.

There are also different levels of ability :

A Clairvoyant will see and talk to spirits just like they would any of us.

A Clairsentient will rarely see Physical Manifestations but will see the spirit and communicate with it within the mind.

A Clairaudient will never see spirit only hear them.

Just like anything in life you can be taught to tune into any ability you have. But it takes time and patience before you will eventually get results.

edit on 22-11-2010 by Tarotmaster because: fix quote

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
I'd like to discuss this matter. I have long pondered why some people seem to be able to see ghosts and others don't.

I believe that we are all born with Psychic abilities. As children start to grow they often talk about imaginary friends and people that they can see and talk to. Most parents will tell their children that there is nobody there and they are just imagining it. The child is told this repeatedly over a period of time, and so eventually the child believes that to be the case and eventually the friends go away and then stay away. Because what the mind doesn't understand or can't explain it buries deep inside. These abilities then lay dormant in the brain waiting to re-merge. With a lot of people that is where these abilities stay. But with others something will trigger a chain of events that activates what was forgotten, and it is then that you start wanting answers to questions that you can't answer.

There are a few people though who never lose their abilities and develop them to become clairvoyants.

There are also different levels of ability :

A Clairvoyant will see and talk to spirits just like they would any of us.

A Clairsentient will rarely see Physical Manifestations but will see the spirit and communicate with it within the mind.

A Clairaudient will never see spirit only hear them.

Just like anything in life you can be taught to tune into any ability you have. But it takes time and patience before you will eventually get results.

edit on 22-11-2010 by Tarotmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Well, one thing that I noticed when I was younger is that people use electromagnetic sensors to detect ghosts. This got me to wondering if maybe it's some sort of hypersensitivity to magnetic fields. Friends of mine who say they can sense/see ghosts tend to be made ill by those huge static ball things they bring into school. Strong magnets make their hands tingly when they pick them up.

More females are effected, but effected males seem to be more sensitive/powerful, and it does seem to run in families. This makes me think that perhaps it's genetic and sex-linked, or at least sex-influenced.

Or maybe they all have the same mental illness.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Everybody can see ghosts, that is why anybody and everybody sees a ghost at one point or another. Normal everyday people have to be at the perfect frequency "matching" the frequency of a ghost/spirit before they can "see" a ghost. People like myself, have a special talent and are born with the gift of being able to see ghosts/spirits at all times.

Children have a high energy frequency which is why they are able to see ghosts more often. I have a very high energy frequency which is why I attract ghosts. They can see me vibrate bright on the astral plane and like moths to the flame come to me for help.

My biggest piece of advice for you is to tell you- that THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU. You just havent been at the right place and time for you to see a spirit or experience paranormal activity. Should you really want to experience a ghost, I suggest joining a local ghost hunting paranormal team. This way you can experience the paranormal in a safer environment, than say conjuring one in your room via the ouji board.

Be patient, and if you cant be patient, go to haunted locations in your local town and investigate on your own. It will come, it will come

edit on 23-11-2010 by xynephadyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

I have seen them and still do experience this from time to time. I find that I question myself often regarding this as to my level of sleep (Severe sleep apnea and on CPAP) but some of the events have been witness by others to one degree or another..ie.. sound and sight. I have tried to find an earlier post of mine regarding an incident when I was younger that was a multi-person experience with a lot of strange lead-up but cannot find it on here; this was a response within a another members thread I do believe.

While I am not positive that these instances have been "ghosts" I am pretty positive that most, if not all, were not induced by my own imagination or state of mind as I have never been considered abnormal in any way.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join