It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tactical nuclear weapons in Europe: the terrorist threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Tactical nuclear weapons in Europe: the terrorist threat

www.guardian.co.uk

Former US senator and co-chairman of the Nuclear Threat Initiative, makes a plea for joint Nato-Russian action to improve the security of the bombs he describes as "a terrorist's dream".

If we don't address this issue with urgency, we may wake up one day to a 1972 Munich-Olympics scenario, with a masked terrorist waving a gun outside of a nuclear warhead bunker somewhere in Europe. This time the hostages could be millions of people living close by.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
blog.heritage.org
www.huffingtonpost.com

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 11/21/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Nuclear weapons being stolen or 'dissapearing' are not new concerns. The security of nuclear facilities in the former USSR has been a large concern for the west since the collapse of the union and the subsequent rise in world terrorism.

In Russia it is said that nuclear weapons are 'misplaced' frequently, with large squads dedicated to tracking the stolen weapons. Russia denies this :
"Russia's Foreign Ministry denied on Friday claims by the U.S. defense secretary that large amounts of Russian nuclear weapons had been stolen or misplaced."-www.geopoliticalmonitor.com...

I am wondering to what extent members believe the US claims of the supposed lack of security possibly resulting in blanket 'terrorists' performing a nuclear strike on a US or European city are grounded.

From what I've been led to believe it is incredibly difficult to detonate a nuclear weapon, requiring incredible scientific knowledge, which is probably not easily available to loosely based 'terrorists' of meager means, and it is also very difficult to keep a stolen nuclear device quiet.

I'm wondering how exaggerated this threat is, and if its a step to get people prepared for a nuclear or biological attack that may or may not be a false flag operation.

This site has some interesting video's relating to this issue, mainly relating to pakistan as it is a pakistani site. Quarter way down the page: www.defence.pk...

Annual Report to Congress on the
Safety and Security of Russian Nuclear
Facilities and Military Forces-www.dni.gov...

What are peoples thoughts on this matter? Is there really a threat? And if so is it REALLY from 'terrorists'?

My third thread, i hope I've done this all correctly, apologies if i have not.

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-11-2010 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
See this is the perfect way to use a Nuclear weapons and not have to claim it. Say Iran was where it went off. They must have been messing with one and messed up. Or any where the terrorist play. Clean sweep and we can be easily led to the terrorist messed up.

I think it is only a matter of time before one is used the big question is where?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

In one of the videos on that pakistani link, a US government official warns of a nuclear/biological strike to occur in 2013. Seems to be loads of discussion about this recently....

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

From what I've been led to believe it is incredibly difficult to detonate a nuclear weapon, requiring incredible scientific knowledge, which is probably not easily available to loosely based 'terrorists' of meager means, and it is also very difficult to keep a stolen nuclear device quiet.

I'm pretty sure the CIA could work out how to detonate them..
After all, they are the biggest terrorists I'm aware of and quite capable of another False Flag...
Fact is, they are probably overdue...Why are we paying those guys anyway??

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Like the US isn't missile nuclear weapons... Or how about "accidently" loading them onto a bomber and arming them

And nuclear weapons are very dangerous, yes, but nobody ever talks about chemical or biological weapons...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Same o same o propaganda.,The threat is largely manufactured.for public consumption.The chances of a group of terrorists getting a nuke are about as credible as the Iranian lap top, or the mobile chem weapons labs.......
There are however better chances of a smaller state latching onto one or two.....I am sure the NKs would be almost too happy to sell one for hard cash;and if you think it was chaos when Russia broke up........Pakistan would be uglier....There is a thorny branch for anyone to grab......

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Not really. Setting off a nuke is like turning on a light switch but in this case the light switch is computer controlled and will never be able to use it without the code. The answer is every simple. You replace the light switch with one you can use. So to set of a stolen nuke all they have to do is remove and throw away the detonator and install one of there own. So it is just a matter of time before one does go off somewhere either on purpose or by mistake.

Remember the nukes that were used on Japan did not have any of that computer controlled stuff and looked how well they worked.

edit on 11/21/2010 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Great article, hard to gauge how many nukes have gone missing due to the secrecy of the Russian government. But interesting none the less, considering the amount of nuclear weapons that were stockpiled during the cold war. Even if these figures were inflated ten fold, there are still a worrying amount of nuclear weapons in rather impoverished nations and regions of Eastern Europe, that cannot protect them, and cannot provide adequate security and maintenance.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It does not have to be a full nuke. There are many university labs that play around with low grade uranium and stuff. One can easily steal that and with combined with other nasty materials make a dirty bomb. That is a real worry. Just imagine if one went off in a major world capital or city. it would become a ghost city like Chernobyl, noone would be able to return for many years. That would have a global impact.
I shudder to think about it. And the point raised about chemical and biological weapons is very valid. These are equally destructive. There are now chemical and biological weapons that can wipe out all of humanity with just a few drops. There may be a very few lucky survivors who may have been underground or something but that's it. And for what exactly? Just what do these terrorists want? To kill everyone on the planet? How would they succeed in their cause in doing that? Everyone loses! I really am very tired of the Human Race acting like two year olds with a temper tantrum! Enough is enough!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Terrorists aren't the ones who made these weapons, governments did. They made them because they intend to use them if they have to. Fearing terrorists is what they want you to think, but look who has made these weapons and has the capability to use them: they are stockpiled in Russian and American BioChem warfare labs.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Completely, really wouldn't help their cause at all, unless all infidels die etc etc.
The idea of a dirty bomb is kinda scary, imagine if that happened to say, london.
I'm still not convinced that there is any real threat though, the 'enemies of freedom' are fighting guys from the future. What little threat there may be does not stand the remotest chance.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
US weapons are fail safe.

The weapon have three parts the computer/timer
The explosives package
And the pit.

Plus to get the computer/timer to send the signal right you have to have the right code.

Each explosive segment has a delay built into its detonator.(this is to keep a EMP burst from setting off the weapon.)
The computer only knows what the delay sequence from the arming code.
You would have to have this information to build a replacement computer and this information is not with the weapon or even at the same base. Each segment has a serial number that can only be used by the military unit that assembled the weapon
plus one or more segments is out of place and held with a retainer till the weapon is armed, Only the computer//timer with the right arming code will activate the mechanical system to move these segments into place to arm the weapon.(this is to keep a crash and/or fire from setting off the weapon

If one of the segments goes off out of timing the weapon will not go critical. it will spit the pit out. Fail
If one of the segments is out of place it will spit the pit. Fail.

Now the arming code is also in three parts. One is held by national authority to be sent to the weapons site before use.
Two parts are held by officer at the weapon. (weapons commanders)
When the weapon is to be used national authority sends there copy and its automatically entered.
The two weapons commanders each open there safes and take out there parts of the code and enter them.
Then two keys must be turned in two different places at the same time by two key holders(weapons commanders) for the code to enter the weapons computer.

And they would have to know how to build the high tech segments and a computer/timer.
So far only a few countries could do this and they have there own nuclear weapons.

This all only applies to US. UK. and NATO countries with nuclear weapons that all use this fail safe system.(Israel likely uses a similar system if they have nuclear weapons???)

Russian, Shina's Pakistan India and other countries fail safe system are unknown if any.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Same o same o propaganda.,The threat is largely manufactured.for public consumption.The chances of a group of terrorists getting a nuke are about as credible as the Iranian lap top, or the mobile chem weapons labs.......
There are however better chances of a smaller state latching onto one or two.....I am sure the NKs would be almost too happy to sell one for hard cash;and if you think it was chaos when Russia broke up........Pakistan would be uglier....There is a thorny branch for anyone to grab......

Uh, I hate to bust your bubble however there are such things as mobile
chem weapons labs and have been for awhile. It is not that far fetched
that Iraq had some. Just because we didn't find them doesn't mean they
weren't there. Methinks many countries have them, they are just not
advertised. Besides, they can easily be converted to make chemicals
if they can be converted to detect them no? A couple of such vehicles
for your viewing pleasure.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D