It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Times: NKorea secretly builds new nuclear facility *Update*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Times: NKorea secretly builds new nuclear facility

news.yahoo.com

North Korea secretly and with unusual speed has built a large new facility to enrich uranium, says an American nuclear scientist who visited the site, according to The New York Times.
(visit the link for the full news article)

FOX Newslink

The Wall Street Journal
edit on 21-11-2010 by silo13 because: new link

edit on 30-11-2010 by Gemwolf because: Added to title as per OP request

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The article goes on to say:

Hecker, who left North Korea last week, had previously described the construction by the North Korean regime of an experimental light-water reactor, confirming satellite photographs that had recently been made public.

But until now, Hecker has made no mention of the discovery of a new uranium enrichment operation that can be used to produce weapons grade material. He told the Times that the North Koreans claimed 2,000 centrifuges had already been installed and were running.

It was unclear as to why the North provided Hecker with access to the facility and attempts to reach him were unsuccessful.

U.S. officials are certain no such facility existed in April 2009 when the last international nuclear inspectors were thrown out of the country.
(bold added)

Something about this whole story strikes me as out and out wrong.

So, they built this facility in record time, have over 2,000 centrifuges already up and running AND just happened to tell the USA today when previously KNorth threw all inspectors out?

I don’t know what it is - but I smell something very 'off' here, and it isn’t just old sushi.

Regardless, the big question is what will the President of the US ‘do’about Korea North and their new up and running reactor?

I can only assume it will not be the same reaction had this report been over, let’s say - Iran.

peace

news.yahoo.com

Info: Siegfried S. Hecker, PhD
edit on 21-11-2010 by silo13 because: info link

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Regardless, the big question is what will the President of the US ‘do’about Korea North and their new up and running reactor?

I can only assume it will not be the same reaction had this report been over, let’s say - Iran.

peace

He won't do anything but bluster. North Korea apparently has nuclear weapons, so they won't be bullied as much as Iran, who ironically don't have nuclear weapons.

Moral of the story: If you don't want to be stomped on like Iraq, get nukes. North Korea learnt this lesson, it seems.

As for how this plant just popped up....either the story is designed to make out North Korea is more dangerous for shady reasons, US satellites missed it, we were kept in the dark about how advanced North Korea's nuclear programme is because that would mean the US administration would look silly and hypocritical because it has been picking on Iran's nuclear programme while North Korea's nuclear programmes are more advanced, or else China has dismantled one of it's nuclear facilities, moved it to North Korea, and within a year or more rebuilt it brick by brick very quickly for the North Koreans to have.
edit on 21-11-2010 by Regensturm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm

or else China has dismantled one of it's nuclear facilities, moved it to North Korea, and within a year or more rebuilt it brick by brick very quickly for the North Koreans to have.

Thank you for voicing my suspicions so succinctly.
That's what just seemed 'wrong' - to fast, too perfect and as the man said 'a very clean and spectacular plant'.

So, is it China?

wow

peace

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Thank you for voicing my suspicions so succinctly.
That's what just seemed 'wrong' - to fast, too perfect and as the man said 'a very clean and spectacular plant'.

So, is it China?

wow

peace

If China has given North Korea one of it's own surplus plants and rebuilt it brick by brick, then that's certainly very interesting. It's believed that currently within China's ruling elite there's a struggle between The Old Guard and The New Guard as to the future direction of China's position towards the Korean penninsula.

The New Guard, that is the younger and up-and-coming generation, are of the belief that China should move closer towards South Korea and cut North Korea loose as something of a liability and a hindrance to Chinese interests.

The Old Guard, that is those who rose to power in Mao's time and immeadiatly after it, believe that ties with North Korea should never be broken, having been forged in blood by China shedding blood to ensure the survival of North Korea. They believe that The Korean War shaped and forged Chinese-North Korean relations, and to forgo that relationship would make mean to betray the Chinese who died in The Korean War, and would weaken China's influence and prestige.

If this is a rebuilt Chinese nuclear plant in North Korea, it may be a compromise between the two factions in China's ruling elite. The Old Guard allowing the deal to happen, with the New Guard insistent on checks on the plant which they know to be reliable and have neccessary safety features.. Perhaps there was a concern over North Korea's nuclear safety record in their research and China was worried about a Chernobyl event in North Korea on their borders and they felt it was best to step in and give North Korea a hand.

Speculation really, as we just don't know.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Perhaps there was a concern over North Korea's nuclear safety record in their research and China was worried about a Chernobyl event in North Korea on their borders and they felt it was best to step in and give North Korea a hand.

Very interesting post and info. I'd applaud you if I could.

IMO - it's not so much they have nuclear capabilities, I applaud them for that, they need it, and if they were serious about attacking anyone outside their range there are much better and more efficient ways they could do so without using nuclear missiles. And I do hope this helps their people. I guess the point I was trying to get at (and would have before now if my computer connection wasn't so bad) is - this just sounds fishy. I don't believe any of it. Maybe it's just me, but, it sounds far to likely this is a set up for some type of false flag action and a lot of finger pointing.

Thanks for your post.

peace

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I guess the point I was trying to get at (and would have before now if my computer connection wasn't so bad) is - this just sounds fishy. I don't believe any of it. Maybe it's just me, but, it sounds far to likely this is a set up for some type of false flag action and a lot of finger pointing.

Thanks for your post.

peace

Thanks. We now have the North Koreans saying they opened fire on South Korea because the South Koreans were firing first, and the North Koreans asked them to stop, and they didn't....which changes the picture from just North Korea opening fire for the hell of it, so you might be onto something with the false flag idea.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Either they're trying to cover up the whole 'Nuclear' thing, by starting a tiff with Korea South, or visa versa. That's the problem, who knows?

BUT, that you think China (and I believe you're right) is involved, lends a great deal more 'clout' to whatever is happening.

I'd like to say we can 'wait and see' - but - we'll probably not see the truth at the end of it... Though I'll hope we do.

peace

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

The terrorist we face today, how smart are they? It can be assumed that Bin Ladens main goal is to destroy America. So how could just one attack of terror accomplish this? Well what if he saw it as a way to jump start an economic downturn that could ultimately make us declare bankruptcy. The attacks on 9/11 were horrible and uncalled for but did he know what the long term effects would have on our country, was it all part of his plan? He is responsible for the deployment of our troops and the huge price tag along with it. Did he know that he would ruin the airline industry as well? One thing he does know and that we need to understand, he is virtually unstoppable. I personally believe it would be nearly impossible to put a stop to Bin Laden and his operation, they live in almost inhabitable terrain, and they are virtually invisible. I believe Bin Laden knows the effectiveness of using small radical groups to fight his battle. Do we really know anything about where and how many terrorist cells he has under his command? They are only going to grow as time moves on and things are going to get worse. He does not value the lives of his troops and people as we would, and he has no respect for warfare, so why would someone fight an opponent that is going to fight dirty? Bin Laden has lots of resources which make him more powerful then you know. Do we really know who is in our country? Do you not think Bin Laden knows about the millions of Mexican immigrants that pour into our country illegally, what if they weren’t all Mexicans I mean seriously what’s stopping him from sending his “troops” through with the Mexicans. Along with the possibility of having extremist sneaking into the country look at what he has done to the airline industry. TSA has started new controversial security measures that introduce the usage of full body scanners. If you do not comply with the fully body scanners then you can receive an intrusive pat-down. Both techniques violate our rights as citizens, however since these things are for the safety of our country they become a necessity. As an inspiring airline pilot I have done my research on the industry and I still am unsure if going into this career is a safe choice. Ultimately I feel that it is impossible to stop all of the terror attacks that are plotted so it’s only a matter of time when the next one will happen. With the new ink bomb plot terrorist seem to be getting very creative with the development and packaging of the bombs, so do you think it is possible to stop all bombs that go through airport screening? Even if there was a way to stop all the bombs, what would the people being protected have to sacrifice for this to happen? I believe the only things that could happen to an airliner via terrorist attack is it could blow up, it could be used as a trajectory (9/11), and it could be used for leverage. Is Bin Laden creating a diversion by having us beef up airport security and focus on the airways for impending terrorist attacks? Because my beliefs are that if you shut down the aviation route for terrorist then it will only create a new avenue to inflict terror. Is Bin Laden smart enough to destroy a country through fear and terror or is there a second phase that is much more devastating? Clearly that is what he is trying to do, strike fear in the hearts of Americans and cause dis-unity. How long will it take to win the battle against terrorism or has it already been lost? I’ve heard that question many times but never like the responses I’ve heard. I believe it is a trick question personally because you cannot fight terror conventionally and if you try to you will be fighting a never ending battle. And has the war already been lost, well I believe it has and it hasn’t. Think about how much money our already broke nation spends on keeping troops deployed. Think about how much money our government spends on new technology to advance the war and prevent terrorism. However I believe it is far from over therefore we have only just begun losing. You can only lose if you have something to lose. Grant it that we haven’t seen a terror attack since 9/11 in the US, I still believe we are becoming too weak financially to keep fighting the way our nation is. Look at the snowball effects 9/11 has had on our economy the last several years. Going back to a question I asked earlier, Is this all part of Osama’s plan? How have our lives really been impacted by 9/11 (financially, emotionally, or physically)? How much more money will we spend fighting and will it make us more venerable to other attacks like say from North Korea? Why would Osama use terrorism in the first place? He clearly has loyal soldiers who are trained and prepared to fight conventionally, so why would he use terror tactics instead of military invasion? Well assuming you already know the more obvious reasons why he used the tactic of terror on 9/11 I want to talk about some more indebt reasons why he might have. First I believe you have to understand religion and how it characterizes people. We all came from somewhere right? Your last name, it can tie you to your immediate family, but more or less your part of a way bigger family in a sense. The roots of your family’s history tree will show you where you really came from, in the aspects of region of the world and religion. The way you look physically came from your family’s gene pool; therefore you can make a rough assumption that people resemble a particular region of the world. My views on religion are simple they categorize people in groups based on their beliefs. With that being said, can you see what Osama might be trying to ultimately do? Well if you can’t this is what I think, it can be said that they are all religious extremist because they are willing to take the lives of others along with their own, all for the name of their god. Understanding that terrorism in this case can be directly linked to a specific religion is something to remember as you read on. Ultimately if terrorism is to continue as it is, people will start becoming very prejudice towards Middle Easterners. If the level of terrorism gets too high and out of control, I believe profiling people will be an effective way to control it. If Americans become fearful of their lives because terrorist attacks are possible is anyone really going to trust the Middle Eastern guy riding in the back of the plane or the guy driving your taxi? Here is a side though, one of the most infamous attacks the terrorist use are car bombs think about how many taxi’s there are that are driven by Middle-Eastern people. Do you get it yet? It’s only a matter of time if things keep at today’s pace before people will only start to trust the people of the same religion, race, and nationality. So then where does it stop? Where do you draw the line? Could you imagine the world in which you can’t even trust anyone who resembles a Middle-Easterner? And how far could a nation go in fighting terror, could a nation ultimately revoke citizenships and deport all people who look like a terrorist? How long do we have before other hate groups and 3rd world countries start to use terrorism themselves? Could it start an epidemic? Could it have been Osama’s goal to make our country as unstable and insecure as possible, while North Korea develops nuclear weapons? Do you really know about our current relationship with North Korea? Well frankly no formal relations exist with that country, did you know on May 27, 2009 North Korea announced that they are no longer bound by the seize-fire agreement we had with them after the Korean-War. Well I don’t know about you but it’s starting to add up for me, I believe North Korea has intentions to launch nuclear weapons at us, if they weren’t are enemies why wouldn’t they sign a peace treaty, let alone renew a seize fire agreement. So what if Bin Laden’s job was to start the whole thing off with 9/11 to send a message and provoke a fight? Thus it would put our country to war and help start a long recession that would put our Nation in extreme debts. Eventually leading to a state of nuclear war with North Korea.

North Korea sunk a South Korea worship and attacked them with artillery recently.........Could they be trying to catch us off guard?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cained

Hi Hi and THANKS for yout post.
Um, while I'm thanking you and I see you're on-line here on ATS, can you give us a link to what you posted?
From there I can go and read and see etc and then respond more to your post thanks tons!
peace

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm sorry I'm new with forums, so bare with me if it isn't under the most accurate thread. As for the link I don't fully understand what you mean by that? I have no link for the piece just a saved word document.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by cained

Not a problem, and, WELCOME to ATS.

My Question was, from the information you posted as a quote. Where did it come from? Where did you get it?
Could you please, if you've got the information still, give us an idea where you got what you posted here? Thank you.

Beyond that, It's my opinion, as I've said from the word one, the nuclear capabilities of NKorea, maybe and (most likely supplied by China) are now going to be smothered in a false flag incident - and wow - here we've got it with the new info - 'They fired on us, we fired on them', but no one fired on anyone BS the MSM is shouting out to the world at the moment.

NKorea may or may not have a 'new' nuclear reactor, built lickety-split.
Honestly?
Even if they do (and especially if provided via China) - what you're seeing right now - is the best reason yet to blow NKorea off the map. Of course and thanks to the US of A.

peace

edit on 23-11-2010 by silo13 because:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Oh sorry, let me clarify I wrote it. It is just a piece of the paper i'm working on

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Well well well - now we're seeing Japan is asking for an attack on Korea North.
Who says the USA will pull the 'they've got a new nuclear reactor stewing up bombs' as the cherry on top of this sick sundae?
I hope it doesn't go that far, but, it looks like, well... It looks like we need a lot of hope at this point.

peace

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   

North Korea Boasts About Nuke Plant

source

With tensions high on the Korean peninsula, North Korea has decided now would be a good time to let the world know that its nuclear program is going swimmingly. Pyongyang officials, offering the first details on what it says is a peaceful nuclear program, boasted that North Korea is building a reactor and "operating a modern uranium enrichment system with many thousands of centrifuges" at its Yongbyon complex...

More MSM propaganda? Or Korea North putting another foot forward (or in their mouth?) during the recent tensions in the east?

If anything - this will give the USA all it needs to deflect any criticism of it’s ‘acts’ against N.Korea.

peace

edit on 30-11-2010 by silo13 because: peace

new topics

top topics

join