It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Law to Control Communications? Old News in Britain!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
There have been a few threads on here about the Obama Administration trying to pass a law that would allow them to take over the communications infrastructure (phones, internet etc) during an unspecified national emergency, with lots of folks getting excited about this.

In Britain, they have had this law in place since the 1950's. It's called the "Government Telephone Preference Scheme" and can be used to shut down all access to land and mobile phone lines that aren't registered for use for emergency services. Being that nearly all broadband internet users in Britian are on ADSL, they will easily be able to shut down these lines as well.

It was designed for use during a nuclear attack, but has been enacted several times in the last 30 years or so. The idea is that all lines will still be able to receive calls, but only emergency services will be able to call out. The official word is that it is so that the phone network doesn't get overloaded.

The scheme for mobile phones is called ACCOLC.

Of course, it is the Government who gets to decide what constitutes an emergency, which means that they can basically shut down communications whenever they see fit.

It seems that Government control is way ahead of the USA in Britain. Officially, they are the country with more CCTV cameras per capita than any other nation in the world. MI5 (British Intelligence) has software that can find a face anywhere in a crowd covered by CCTV. This has been made public. Supposedly the software is to prevent violence at soccer (football to all you Yanks) matches, but we all know what it will really be used for.

When 9/11 hit in the USA, the US Government's response was that "anti terrorism legislation must be passed as soon as possible". In the UK, the response was "oh, let's do all this, which is provided for in the anti terrorism legislation of the 1960's".

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Bump.

As usual, the things that people really need to pay attention to seem to get lost in all the meaningless threads.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Oh, they also already have the power to take control of the television system and transportation in any situation that they deem a "national emergency".

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I noticed this whilst watching Mark Thomas - Secret Map of Britain

I am really surprised this hasn't received more attention, with the internet kill switch theory being so popular and all

I remember hackers testifying in front of congress how they could shut down the internet in 30 mins, now it seams that the UK government has been able to do this for a long long time, and far quicker than half an hour

so... if the UK can do this, what's to stop the US doing the same? apart from the laws, which lets be honest hasn't stopped the government before

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It hasn't received attention becuase there are so many bs threads on here and so much bs in the main stream media that the really good topics that need to be discussed get lost in the mix.

I bet ANY hacker of note wouldn't admit to being "as slow as 30 minutes" to take down the internet in this day and age.

When Government funded hackers start taking control, all bets are off. You can put money on the Chinese Government having whole teams of Government funded hackers finding vulnerabilities in the US and Western communication systems, and likely countries like Iran and Israel are doing the same things as well.

And BTW, if you think Israel wouldn't do anything to harm the USA, you have my laughter in your ears.

Now the Government have the kill switch (and believe me, they do already in the USA, they just want to make it legal), they will be able to shut it down at the flip of a switch, and have full control over what constitutes a "National Security threat" giving them the power to do so.

If the Chinese ever wanted to crash the US economy, not only could they just sell their $1 trillion in US dollars they physically have stockpiled, they would also do this through a massive cyber attack.

Because everyone relies so much on electronic systems, humankind is more vulnerable now than they have been at any time in our history, as we have lost the basic skills needed for survival.
edit on 20-11-2010 by babybunnies because: spelling

new topics

top topics

join