It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness Hit 1 in 5 U.S. Adults in Past Year (WHY)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

THURSDAY, Nov. 18 (HealthDay News) -- A new survey finds that 20 percent of U.S. adults -- over 45 million people -- experienced mental illness in the past year.

Overall, 4.8 percent (11 million people) suffered serious mental illness, 8.4 million people had serious thoughts of suicide, 2.2 million made suicide plans, and one million attempted suicide, according to the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

Does any one ask why?

In order to ask the above question, you have to ask yourself about the lifestyle. I for one believe that Americans are mis-lead to believe the life they are living is a good life, it is worth dying for, it is the right life, it is free blablabla. That can't be true if the above statistic is true?

Or can it?

Stop being a slave please, and allowing them to brainwash you in to believing this cruel life is good. Living life as you wanted is the cure, but that cure can't be bought in any pharmacies, and that cure has been intentionally hidden from public view, because if that cure was to be spread, there wouldn't be any obedient slaves anymore.

To leave you thinking even more, I will lay this quote from Hitler in front of you.

By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise.
Adolf Hitler

www.businessweek.com...
edit on 20-11-2010 by oozyism because: Forgot link

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

i would argue the opposite. i think, in many ways, americans have been convinced that our relative heaven is a hell. life is better for us then our parents, grandparents, etc, etc. but we're constantly bombarded with doomsday reports and 'crisis' after 'crisis' from our media and politicians. couple that with the increased number of diagnosable mental illnesses and the first ADHD generation finally coming into adult hood and you got yourself a blend of higher, questionable reporting of mental illness, and a constant barage of negative energy that very well might be driving people insane.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Um I am thinking that the reason there is an increase in mental illness could be tied to the economic situation in this country. The record number of foreclosures, peoples inability to gain employment or it could the harassment by bill collectors. (see any media site for support for my economic claims)

The point is people are afraid of the future and feel helpless. I started searching for information on where this government is leading us and found this wonderful site. I think people feel ashamed, stressed and all alone.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I also think it has to do with the bombardment of information that our reality is not quite what it seems. We want to live like the Jones' yet we have no money, we want to eat better, but most dont have the money, or accessibility. I think that alot of those stats are those who are waking up, "the hard way".

With the drugs provided, where half asleep and half awake. Its a terrible predicament to be in. The only support system that many know of is between them their physician and their pharmacist. Families are in disarray, financial situations are scary, people are losing their homes in alarming rates, and when those who have lived by the system find out what its really about, sometimes they can feel abandoned, and left with no hope.

I hope that someday we can learn to be supportive of each other, and learn to help one another. Drugs are not ok, and when everyone is eventually addicted, and then no longer have funds for it, we are going to have one of the craziest revolutions yet. Millions of people having to go cold turkey, with no support, and the fat cats watching us duke it out.
S&F for bringing this to OUR attention.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If you were in my world you'd realize it's hitting five of five.....I've yet to meet another human being who wasn't in some way absolutely nuts.

It's the only thing that keeps life interesting....

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

So you are suggesting being this life is good:

Wake up in the morning, have breakfast, go to work away from the family most of the day, come back home and sleep, get your rest because you gonna do the same all over again tomorrow.

Wake up in the morning, have breakfast, go to school away from the family most of the day, come back home and have lunch with mom, if mom is even there, body tired, brain exhausted, home work time, go to sleep, get your rest because tomorrow you gonna be doing it all over again.

Another statistic suggests that the number of kids with mental illnesses is increasing.
edit on 20-11-2010 by oozyism because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic
reply to post by oozyism

but we're constantly bombarded with doomsday reports and 'crisis' after 'crisis' from our media and politicians. couple that with the increased number of diagnosable mental illnesses and the first ADHD generation finally coming into adult hood and you got yourself a blend of higher, questionable reporting of mental illness, and a constant barage of negative energy that very well might be driving people insane.

You sound as if you have been reading ATS a lot lately.

Seriously, though I actually agree with what you are saying. I question a great deal of those doctors decisions on who or what is mentally ill. I think ADD and ADHD are not nearly as bad as they are making it out to be. I also think that many have been convinced they have something’s they do not. The mind is very powerful and can cause one to act in ways they would not simply through self convincing.

Raist

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by snusfanatic

So you are suggesting being this life is good:

Wake up in the morning, have breakfast, go to work away from the family most of the day, come back home and sleep, get your rest because you gonna do the same all over again tomorrow.

Wake up in the morning, have breakfast, go to school away from the family most of the day, come back home and have lunch with mom, if mom is even there, body tired, brain exhausted, home work time, go to sleep, get your rest because tomorrow you gonna be doing it all over again.

Like you have something better to do.....:0)
edit on 20-11-2010 by mrwupy because: Dear God I'm going to get my first troll tag for this one....LOL....I couldn't resist.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

THURSDAY, Nov. 18 (HealthDay News) -- A new survey finds that 20 percent of U.S. adults -- over 45 million people -- experienced mental illness in the past year.

Overall, 4.8 percent (11 million people) suffered serious mental illness, 8.4 million people had serious thoughts of suicide, 2.2 million made suicide plans, and one million attempted suicide, according to the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

Does any one ask why?

Yeah, and they all end up right here on ATS.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Here is something to ponder. Most people that are currently medicated for mental illness are also having suicidal thoughts because of the medication.

An alarming side effect: thoughts of suicide

As symptoms of depression go, there is none much clearer than having thoughts of suicide.

But a spate of recent announcements from federal health officials suggests a surprising new interpretation of suicidal fantasies and the depression they are thought to signal: Sometimes, sadness, anxiety and self-destructive thoughts are not symptoms but side effects -- of medicine.

In this year alone, federal regulators have warned that a surprising array of drugs could play a role in spurring thoughts of self-destruction. Medicines that treat epilepsy, asthma and influenza are now under suspicion, as is one that helps smokers kick the tobacco habit.

articles.latimes.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Star

Reason:

Useful information regarding the discussion.

On topic:

If it was to be true, that some drug side effects can cause depression, then wouldn't there be a freeze in the distribution, and usage of such drugs until further investigation?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
[Mental health professional speaking here] I think this notion that 1 in 5 people have mental illness is absurd. Part of the problem is the fact that clinicians, though well intentioned, will give a new patient an AXIS I diagnosis because they hear a sad story and feel sorry for them and want to do anything to help. I see it day after day at public mental health. People who are upset because of life circumstances actually have what is call an "Adjustment Disorder". Usually the sadness or anger that accompanies this will subside with the person developing a little better insight or if the circumstances change. It's not really considered "mental illness." Foolish therapists will label them with "Major Depressive Disorder", "Bipolar" or "Anxiety Disorder" because they want to feed their own egos by "helping" everyone who walks in the door. Actual mental illness is a chemical imbalance. Major depressive disorder happens whether life circumstances are great or not. Schizophrenia is a diseased brain that surfaces in the late teens or early 20's and is not the result of childhood maladjustment. Actual Bipolar disorder is unmistakable when you actually SEE the crazy behaviors (think Britney Spears a few years ago) and severe mood swings.

I think the other part of the problem is in our culture this pervasive notion that life is only "normal" when we're happy all the time and when nothing bad happens. (Don't we train our little ones to think this way with "happily ever after" stories?). Real life is not a Hallmark movie. It's often painful, difficult and sometimes it's all we can do to just survive. Mental health experts need to stop pathologizing every painful experience.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Star

Reason:

Useful information regarding the discussion.

On topic:

If it was to be true, that some drug side effects can cause depression, then wouldn't there be a freeze in the distribution, and usage of such drugs until further investigation?

Not really, these laws have been in place for a very long time, the same law as the one where you cannot sue the maker of a radio, that electrocuted you in the bathtub cannot be held liable, because there was a warning. Every bottle, every prescription, even every commercial has a page full of side effects, and as long as they are made available to the consumer, the company cannot be held liable.

Here is a PDF about this from over 30 years ago.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Very detailed about the process.

Here is a wonderful site with lots of information concerning this thread.
www.beforeyoutakethatpill.com...

BTW, I have been looking into how large lawsuits by firms, against big pharmaceutical companies have something to do with the drug companies, as to get all complaints together and get it all resolved as opposed to individuals suing.

Its still in progress though.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

Deppression is a mental illness

Depression leads to suicide, if that is not a mental illness, then I don't know what is.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Here is something to ponder. Most people that are currently medicated for mental illness are also having suicidal thoughts because of the medication.

An alarming side effect: thoughts of suicide

It's not just the meds. You get a crazy flag stamped to the front of your digital jacket and all kinds of bad things happen.

Try to catch a plane and the TSA guys do a cavity search, starting at your bottom and ending in your nostrils. You'll think rape was a Sunday ice cream when they get through with you.

Get pulled over for a bad tail light and the cop runs your ID. "GET ON THE GROUND PSYCHO!!! as you smell the business end of a Glock.

Apply for a job and watch the HR people start to sweat when they look at their monitor....

It's far better to be crazy and quiet about it these days than to see a shrink and seek help.

Besides, being crazy is far more fun.... :0)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
HEY, YOUR RIGHT. Where can i collect my mental illness check.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Star

Reason

Very interesting information regarding why such drugs with such side effects are not banned.

Also

regarding Accutane and Depression.

The above being said

Here is some important information, very interesting:

Which came first, mental illness or drug addiction? Understanding the underlying causes of dual diagnosis may help physicians treat their patients.

learn.genetics.utah.edu...

Enjoy the read.
What is the

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Not everyone that is or has been depressed will or has committed suicide.

Just as not everyone who is depressed is mentally ill.

Fact: people get depressed by events in their lives daily.

Fact: many people medicate (whether by themselves or with a doctor’s prescription) a temporary problem causing it to become a long time problem or even an addiction.

Fact: most people in western societies have in their own minds made life harder than it really is. Look at the rest of the world and the suffering they all live through on a daily basis. Most of them though see that life is a wondrous thing that has good and bad times. Sometimes the good times do not last long or come very often but you can hold on to those memories to help you through the harder times.

By the way, bolding and enlarging text in your argument does not make it any more true or less true. Therefore it does not really add to the argument.

Raist

edit on 11/20/10 by Raist because: spacing

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

You can live life right even in places of conflict.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
We could use a few less of you psychiatrists thats for sure....
The mental illness is from the programming we all are subjected to every day.
Our lives dont match up to the perfect ones we see on TV and we are dissatisfied and it gets worse with time....
The goverment, the education system, the media, all contribute to our psychosis.
We are bombarded with an unreal world, and get mixed up when our world doesnt match up.
On top of this we are used as cannon fodder in the wars and slaves in the marketplace.
What its really about is the elite dont want to share, they dont want to see us live a decent life,(that would give us breathing space to wake up to the manipulations.)
The doctors the psychiatrists the nurses all have this attitude that they are better and somehow above the people they treat.The goverment is the same.
When you marginalise people till they have no voice or are not heard when they speak,they eventually go mad...zimple....ja

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join