It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Stealth Helicopter

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
they should have tried the comanche stuff on the lynx, speed and stealth combined

The commanch had a higher cruise speed 161 vs 137 for the lynx

JAK

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
In respect of the noise level of helicopters this fact can be addressed by enclosing the tail rotors as in the commanche style or more effectively by the NoTar design.

When I studied Aeronautical Engineering I had the opportunity to see this close up and it is an awsome deisgn.

(I love helicopters.)

www.kulikovair.com...

Jack

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
yeah but imagine the "super lynx" the one that broke the record.
just saying this but does any 1 have the top speed cause there doesnt seem 2 be 1 and the one they do state is actually wrong.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
In respect of the noise level of helicopters this fact can be addressed by enclosing the tail rotors as in the commanche style or more effectively by the NoTar design.

Not always though the coast guard out on Moffet Field have a Dolphin with an enclosed tailrotor that flys over our house all the time. Its a loud mother. However the BK117 (Unenclosed tail rotor) that we use for medical transport also flys over our house on the the way to Palo ALto Muni field for fuel is much quieter than the dolphin

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
the lynx is 2.6 slower than the comanche but i dont know if thats the upgraded 1

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Here in Belgium the cops have some choppers with that NOTAR system.
Some time ago one was hanging over my house ( some dude did a hold up on the video rental store
), and those things were everything buth queit

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
As much as I hate to admit it there was no need for the cammache its main role was recon then some strike but we can accomplish this with UCAVS loaded with hell fire missiles not only can ucavs be stealthier but they can be quiet not cost as much and not put a human at risk also they can be way smaller making them harder to shoot down.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
all this UCAV stuff is makeing war too easy.
war should be hard so countries will not go to war.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
As for making things to easy and not going to war thats what everybody thought nukes would do back in the cold war.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
As much as I hate to admit it there was no need for the cammache its main role was recon then some strike but we can accomplish this with UCAVS

You are right on with that. The advent of UCAVS and missile armed predators probably played a role in the decision to cancel the Comanc.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Why should someone made attack helicopters with radar-stealth? They are flying so low that radars are not able to detect them.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
No helicopters can be detected by radar it has many moving parts and doesn't fly that low so that it cannot be detected by ground based radar.

Helicopter design shape and use of structural materials that absorb or deflect radar energy away from the tracking source can further reduce detection. Helicopters do not necessarily need to be in forward flight
in order to be tracked by radar. Helicopters have many moving parts, such as the main rotor and tail rotor, which render the airframe susceptible to radar detection, even while hovering. Energy conductive coatings and broad-band radar absorbing materials reduce the risk of detection during flight.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think the next gen helicopter should be
1. with reaction-drive rotor (that means no vulnerable tail rotor)
2. better armored
3. faster
4. with some anti-misille defense system (small laser, EMP beam or Metal Storm)
5. lower IR signature
6. low acustic signature
7. lower radar signature

Radar signature is not that important, because low flying helicopter can only be detected from the air (another aircraft) and helicopters are fighting against ground targets or other helicopters. It could have some kind od radar-stealth, but I don't think it is the priority.

[edit on 3-7-2004 by longbow]

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Radar signature is not that important, because low flying helicopter can also be detected from the air (another aircraft) and helicopters are fighting against ground targets or other helicopters.

It is if the other side has an AWACS up. Thats the whole point about the COmanch. It was initated in a time when we thought it would be hunting tanks and gathering intelligence in Europe. It was assumed that at the time, Warsaw Pact forces would at least have an AWACS type plane or ground radar up. One that threat went away, it really did not have a mission. UCAVS or thier chopter counterparts will be the next stealth scout you see.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

For those of you who have not seen the picture yet

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Kind of looks like the cammache why dose Russia like those Two sets of rotor blades it makes the helicopter look ugly. Also once UCAVS are programmed to fight airborne targets you have a multi million dollar helicopter being shot down by a cheap UCAV with no human risk this is the wave of the future.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The twin rotors combat a limitation in conventional helicopter flight. With a conventional helicopter moving at speed the rotor generates increased lift as it moves forward into the airflow but stalls as it moves backwards, as the helicopter's speed increases there will come a point where this effect causes the chopper to flip over. This effect is a limiting factor on the speed a conventional helicopter can travel at. By using two sets of contra-rotating rotors this effect is eliminated thus allowing for a very fast helicopter. A handy bi-product of this is the elimination of the need for a tail rotor.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
it might even beable to get of the ground

heheh its propley only a prototype just getting its propellers on

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
hey i just found out that the super lynx has a top speed of 400kmph !!
holy crap thats fast!!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Acoustically helicopters have problems with the vortexes shed off the tips of the main rotor, that's what causes the infamous "whop whop whop" sound we know so well. Radar signatures in hover are like one poster mentioned due to doppler shift of the advancing and retreating rotor blades. Some radars can detect the vortex itself, the disturbance in the air much like a weather radar can see the "hook" of a tornado signature inside a thunderstorm. It is much more difficult to make a helicopter pure stealth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join