It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help buying a digital SLR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience with DSLR cameras.
Specifically I'm trying to decide between the Cannon EOS 350D and the Nikon D50 as my budget is pretty tight I'm going to have to buy it used, probably from ebay.

The Cannon has a higher resolution and a few more fancy features, but the Nikon has a better quality lens / optics which I feel is more important.

Any advice from any photographers out there?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Hi: I',m a "canon guy" Amateur; not a working pro though I have been paid for some stuff:.Generally both Canon and Nikon have pro quality lenses.whenever you see those "honkin"' big white long lenses on the sidelines at sporting events those are canons. They are everywhere. Realize a camera is a black box that holds the sensor( or film) in one place and the lense in another.

There really is no "magic" in there ( no matter what the slick advertising claims). Resolution of Modern dslrs( 10mgpx and up ) are so good you have to be careful with your choice of lenses ( the camera will show the difference between consumer and pro-quality glass). No biggie if you are not a pro . and if you are you wouldn't be asking.
Higher resolution images also require more effort from your computer to edit. file sizes are correspondingly larger.

I haven't had access to a Nikon system since leaving the military. Sorry I can't give a clean cut buy this! don't buy that!
All I can add is Don't sweat it too much! Look ahead at the top of the line models and see which system you want to invest in. Pick a "system" Canon or nikon and live with it.swapping horses in midstream is generally a bad expensive option.

Look at the accessories available ( the whole "system" offered by the manufacturer). which one feels better in your hand?The menus are different enough that there will be a learning curve for either system. I tried to help a lady with a nikon at the grand canyon and was stumped by its menus.
all cameras just control shutter speed; aperture; and sensitivity ( ASA).

edit on 20-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice!

The cameras I'm looking at are a few generations old, so only around 8mp

The Cannon has a CMOS sensor though while the Nikon is CCD, does that make much of a difference?

The last time I had a Nikon it was a film camera and at that time they were considered the best (outside of the exotic Russian makes), but I guess things have changed a little since then

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Depends what you intend to do with it.I understand there are differences in the noise each type of sensor produces. noise is mostly visible in underexposed ( dark areas.) and gets worse as you run the ASA up in range,I 'm still using an older 6mp dslr for my web stuff( paying stuff ): its perfectly adequate for the web. But I i won't shoot any higher than 400 asa for larger prints though ( I find the noise disagreeable).

There are plenty of reviews and comparisons online (www.dp preview.com has alot of reviews: Google is your friend.)
Nikons have always been top notch tools. I find some of the canons more "plasticky" (more mass consumer oriented).Nothing wrong with them,I come from all mechanical 35mm and120 film days.I like a sturdy metal pieceof gear. Im tempted to try a Nikon when I upgrade. As I will be upgrading lenses too, my consumer grade lenses have alot of miles on them.
Good images can be made with any brand...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
reply to post by davespanners

Depends what you intend to do with it.I understand there are differences in the noise each type of sensor produces. noise is mostly visible in underexposed ( dark areas.) and gets worse as you run the ASA up in range,I 'm still using an older 6mp dslr for my web stuff( paying stuff ): its perfectly adequate for the web. But I i won't shoot any higher than 400 asa for larger prints though ( I find the noise disagreeable).

There are plenty of reviews and comparisons online (www.dp preview.com has alot of reviews: Google is your friend.)
Nikons have always been top notch tools. I find some of the canons more "plasticky" (more mass consumer oriented).Nothing wrong with them,I come from all mechanical 35mm and120 film days.I like a sturdy metal pieceof gear. Im tempted to try a Nikon when I upgrade. As I will be upgrading lenses too, my consumer grade lenses have alot of miles on them.
Good images can be made with any brand...

great inf about camera for sure. thanks ace

top topics

join