It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC : Screw the legislative branch, we'll impose Net Neutrality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
How nice of the FCC.

If you're for or against Net Neutrality doesn't matter. The way they are doing it is unconstitutional. Bypassing congress...even if congress is full of corrupt bastards...

FCC moves to ensure "Net Neutrality"

The Federal Communications Commission is expected to announce plans next week for regulations that would forbid internet service providers from blocking or favoring content online.

The so-called “net neutrality” rules could be passed by the commission as early as December 15. The move would fulfill a campaign promise by President Barack Obama and infuriate the new Republican majority on Capitol Hill, which has said it would oppose the plan, but would have little power to stop it.

Please call your congress people/senator... they should be there next week since they are in holiday because of thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Uhm, I am guessing you don't understand what net neutrality actually is. It facilitates free speech btw.

This would be a fantastically good thing to happen as the legislative branch is owned by corporate interests.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

The Federal Communications Commission is expected to announce plans next week for regulations that would forbid internet service providers from blocking or favoring content online.

This would actually prevent censorship - not mandate it. This does not apply to any current bills pending before Congress, but would only mean that your ISP cannot arbitrarily block sites or make certain browsing decisions for you... IE An ISP couldn't blog Google, thus forcing you to use Yahoo, etc.

~Heff

edit on 11/20/10 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

I'm for it too BTW... it's just the way it's done... shouldn't be done like that.

That was my point at the first sentence of the thread...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Does the FCC need congress approval to enact regulations to begin with? i thought they were kind of their own policy making/governing body.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Please call your congress people/senator... they should be there next week since they are in holiday because of thanksgiving.

I think he's better off not knowing the FCC is doing the right thing, he'll probably screw it up if I tell him about it.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Well, the FCC is tasked with certain things such as facilitating communications etc.. Net Neutrality would be part of what they are tasked with doing-to NOT challenge is to directly allow a monopoly to form. This is basically a stroke to create another monopoly.

Consider Comcast which has been charging billions to it's end users in the form of 'upgrade' surcharges-the premise being that it pays for upgrading gear. Well in reality it was going to the managers etc. as bonuses while the gear languished. This is an attempt to basically do the same thing-charge more money to content providers as well as to end users to deliver the content-while not actually improving the infrastructure.

The FCC is doing it's job while Congress etc. is just chest thumping and waiting for more money from the media giants to move.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Because corporate America has the money their voice is constantly in the ear of legislators. How can we retain rights for individuals when our voices are not heard.

Corporations have a seemingly endless amount of money and a continuous amount of propaganda spewing through the media outlets.

As long as no other agenda is attached to this..I am absolutely for it. As far as the means being used to pass this..read above.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

I thought it was congress's job since they had a bill about Net Neutrality.

Or is the FCC an agency like the EPA that can do whatever the hell they want?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

The FCC is an agency-that being said they function under a guideline of actions augmented by the law. Congress can only force them to do things by passing a law as they cannot operate outside of the law.

There have been attempts to pass laws to force the issue in either direction. Just how congress beats it's chest.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0

The FCC is an agency-that being said they function under a guideline of actions augmented by the law. Congress can only force them to do things by passing a law as they cannot operate outside of the law.

There have been attempts to pass laws to force the issue in either direction. Just how congress beats it's chest.

Yes the FCC is an agency. That means it acts via color of law rather than via actual law much like the rest of the alphabet agencies who circumvent the Constitution and the law. All of them are worthless and all need to be disbanded.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234

I think he's better off not knowing the FCC is doing the right thing, he'll probably screw it up if I tell him about it.

LOL! I can't believe you posted that.....

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I say let The FCC do this as this will have no affect negatively on the internet thus keeping it free and open for all. Isn't this what we want? Gov't to guarantee net neutrality? When they finally do something about it someone is quick to cry foul.

Score another one for the people!

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem

Originally posted by lordtyp0

Yes the FCC is an agency. That means it acts via color of law rather than via actual law much like the rest of the alphabet agencies who circumvent the Constitution and the law. All of them are worthless and all need to be disbanded.

Are you serious? If The FCC does this this guarantees that the web as it exists today will be the same web tommorrow but let the corrupt Congress handle this and watch the internet become a second rate version of itself and let us not also forget to mention that if Congress handles this watch sites like this one disappear overnight. It is as simple as that. The FCC and any of the alphabet agencies do have the executive authourity via their charters to act independently and autonomously from the Congress and legislative and does not need nor require Congressional approval to act on anything.

Let us not also forget that the Executive is for this while the Judicial knows better to not touch this one.
edit on 20-11-2010 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Way to go FCC!
The free Internet has become such an integral part of modern society that it definately should have some protection against abuse of power from ISPs. Even if now government and ISPs do not hinder internet freedom, think of this regulation as a safeguard for the future.

new topics

top topics

join