It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops bust seven men playing chess in upper Manhattan park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Cops bust seven men playing chess in upper Manhattan park

www.nypost.com

Drop that bishop and come out with your hands up!
A squad of cops in bulletproof vests swooped into an upper Manhattan park and charged seven men with the "crime" of playing chess in an area off-limits to adults unaccompanied by kids -- even though no youngsters were there.
"Is chess really something that should be considered a threat to the neighborhood?" Inwood resident and mom Joanne Johnson wrote Mayor Bloomberg, the City Council and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly after the raid.
"This incident is an embarrassment to the officers from the 34th Precinct who felt that it was necessary
(visit the link for the full news article)

Instructions for the Breaking News Forums - Please review this link

edit on 20-11-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Loooooooooooool ...wtf is this ? World is gone mad? one of the oldest recognizable hobbies was playing chess in New York parks.And wtf is " playing chess in an area off-limits to adults unaccompanied by kids " first time heard of this .Is this connected with new pedofil laws? Sorry i'm not from USA and english is not my first language

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Clearly they are training their strategic skills in order to help plan a take over of the government.

Beware those chess players, never know when a bishop will come flying at you from behind and stabbing you in the back.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Playing chess? Ha! More like plotting a terrorist attack! We all know they were running an undercover simulation of how to assassinate Obama (represented by the King piece, of course).

Boy do I feel safe now that these criminals are off the streets... and chess boards! WHEW! How dare they go to a public area where chess boards are present and think they can play chess on them. Who do they think they are?

Taxpayer Dollars well spent, says this proud American. Our nation has been saved yet again. All hail the mighty government.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Okay... While this is a rather messed up event, your branding of it is awful as well, and had you read the entire article you would know that.

1) They were not ARRESTED, they were TICKETED.

2) Areas where Adults are not allowed without Children are perfectly reasonable in playground areas. Parents get pretty darned worried about abductors and pedophiles, and so these restricted areas put them at ease. These men were, in fact, in violation of the letter of a fairly reasonable law.

The thing is that they were not in violation of the spirit of the law. They were not watching children, and there were apparently no children around. The ticketing is absurd, just as being issued a ticket for jay walking on a truly empty street would be absurd. But it's not as wild an outrage as you make it out to be.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

They're still on the streets. They just have to appear in front of a judge on december 28th.

It's still a TOTALLY AWESOME use of tax funds, though. So sweet.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Typical undermining of freedom of assembly.....you will see more of the "local"statutes being used to restrict the rights of normal citizens.
It is my observation, that the town coucils and city goverments are passing more restrictive legialations all the time, and i believe it to be a regualted plan of the PTB to inflict more social controls on the people through the back door of local legislation.
Obviously this law diminishes the right to free assembly, and should be challenged in court.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

yes you are right ,but ticketing is hillarious also

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Cops gotta do something. And if I were a cop I'd rather ticket some old folks playing chess than bust up a meth lap or confront some raging lunatic assaulting people.

I can either pull over grandma for a busted tail light or go stop that rape over there. Hmmmmm.....

Just like every other union slob. Take the path of least resistance and coast as much as possible until you can retire.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Oh Goody! now the drug dealers can move in!
That will get them off the street.

I guess if you want grafft, you need crime.
Chess players are notorious for not being big graft payouts.
cops need to fight inflation too you know.

These guys were playing chess in the park every day for years.
then the laws were changed on them.

So what if a pedophile has a child.....

edit on 19-11-2010 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The ticketing of these gentlemen for basically "trespassing" on a public area is ludicrous. Playing a game of chess, the locals state that they play there all the time and their children even took lessons, is nothing more than police harassment and a waste of the city of NY's money.

Upon further reading in the comments to the source I found this and feel it is quite apropos:

BumperPress.com

11/18/2010 3:10 PM

Here is what the DA found when he viewed the surveillance tape. One of the white pawns complained he was constantly being groped by a white Bishop. The white King sacrificed his remaining Bishop to another square to coverup the growing scandal. However, the black King was having an affair with the white Queen who had castled her rook to evade being found out. The black Queen became furious at the deceptive move and put the white King in check. The white King avoided mating her because he was gay. His wife, the white Queen, dispatched her favorite Knight to guard her flank and forced a check so she could mate the black King. Meanwhile, the abused pawn moved up and was crowned King. He immediately had the pervert Bishop whacked. The police moved in and arrested the new King and charged him with murder. The white Queen was charged with soliciting a Knight for the purpose of commiting a fraudulent checkmate.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

Save money, NYC Police Deptartment...use your cops for REAL CRIMINALS...btw, you may not have to look too far, they are closer than you think...

~holly

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Cops gotta do something. And if I were a cop I'd rather ticket some old folks playing chess than bust up a meth lap or confront some raging lunatic assaulting people.

I can either pull over grandma for a busted tail light or go stop that rape over there. Hmmmmm.....

Just like every other union slob. Take the path of least resistance and coast as much as possible until you can retire.

So suddenly this is a union issue? Crimeny, is there anyone capable of being upset by this in the right ways and to the right extent? We need to be angry at the police themselves, and whatever compels them to make every tiny bust they possibly can.

The law is flawed. These men should have their tickets removed from the docket. The law needs to have regulations for people who are genuinely playing chess and the like, or at least the cops need to have regulations for that. That is what's wrong; this is not a police state issue, or a unionization issue, or ANYTHING more than a flawed law, and even more flawed enforcement of it.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If you ask me, these brave cops should be reprimanded for not tasering these chess playing terrorists. And who says chess pieces can't be used as weapons of mass destruction? As an example, look at the mass destruction a rag tag group of Top Gun Turbans were able to accomplish with boxcutters on 9/11.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join