It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover life in deepest layer of Earth's crust - AND abiotic hyrdocarbons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This news story has two major points.

1) Life (bacteria) was discovered at the deepest layer of the Earth's crust.
2) They admit that hydrocarbons can be created by abiotic processes even in the Mantle!!!

Keep in mind, this discovery of life that deep is great, but this admission (by accident?) of abiotic oil as a just a simple "fact" in the report is interesting too.

Here's the news article about the report:
Life is found in deepest layer of Earth's crust

He points out that the reactions that produce oil and gas abiotically inside the crust could happen in the mantle, meaning life may be thriving deeper yet.

Here's the actual published report:
First Investigation of the Microbiology of the Deepest Layer of Ocean Crust

This rare glimpse of the gabbroic ecosystem provides further support for the recent finding of hydrocarbons in deep ocean gabbro from Hole 1309D. It has been hypothesized that these hydrocarbons might originate abiotically from serpentinization reactions that are occurring deep in the Earth's crust, raising the possibility that the lithic microbial community reported here might utilize carbon sources produced independently of the surface biosphere.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Interesting. That fills in a missing piece in my mind. I could never figure out how SO MUCH oil was created by past surface life, but this now makes sense. What it also may lead us to is the ability to make our own oil, although that may be cost prohibitive.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicFlight

It is totally interesting, I agree. This latest discovery is strong evidence abiotic oil, but the scientists seem to have already reached that conclusion. This bacteria down there consumes the hydrocarbons near the mantle. Well, there is simply no way that fossil's could be the source of those hydrocarbons because there are no fossils down there.

My personal theory is that it's bacteria along the bottom of the crust which is in contact with the mantle which creates the hydrocarbons. But it appears the research isn't that far along yet. Of course, technically my theory is a biotic oil theory, but it's not fossil biotics. It's a natural, on going process.

edit on 19-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: typo

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wow ATS, this news a little too boring for you?

Scientists discover life near the mantle of our planet, and admit that oil is created abiotically and one person commented?

*Disappointed*

Wanted to see what people think about this, but apparently, the world's energy supply is a humdrum topic.

new topics

top topics

join