It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: First call-up notices to Individual Ready Reserves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Notifications to those individuals in in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) will be notified next week according to this report

www.montereyherald.com...

WASHINGTON - It could be a long weekend for thousands of former soldiers.

The Army says it will begin notifying more than 5,600 of those soldiers next week that they are being involuntarily recalled to active duty and could be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan as early as this fall.

"There's going to be soldiers who, yes, will be shocked," said Col. Debra A. Cook, commander of the Army's Human Resources Command and the final arbiter of petitions for exemption.

SP:edit

[edit on 30-6-2004 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 6-30-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think we can count-on 5600 more votes for Kerry!

Why is there no talk of reinstating the draft? Why aren't we allowed to see pictures of, read bios of, our fallen soldiers? Nearly everyone I speak with claims to support our troops, yet they continue to die and we just get numb to numbers without faces.

Show REAL support for our troops: IMPEACH BUSH!

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
involuntarily huh? well isint that something, who would have thought. Whats that? people still think we arent being inched closer to a draft? Too much head-in-sand syndrome floating around if the populace hasn't figured it out yet.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
First of all I am a retired Marine wife, even if my husband an army retiree, I am going to make use him as an example,

How the government can bring back retirees? Don�t the retirees have the right to say no?

My husband gets a retirement check,
He has a full time very well pay job,
He also have a secondary job that is also very well paid, now I imagine that this army people some also have the same as my husband, If my husband is recall to duty, he will have the same pay and rank that he held before retirement, he will loose his secondary job and his retirement pay.

That means a very big cut in income and I will not be able to live with that cut, so does anybody knows what the government is going to do to make for the difference? Do these retirees have not right?

When I ask this question to my husband he very calmly said that the government holds the right to do that.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Every enlistment is for 6 years. The number of active years may vary, hence if you served for 4 years, the military holds you in an inactive status for 2 years, with the caveat that they may recall you to active status should the need be deemed necessary. Once the 6 consecutive years are up, there is no longer a hold on the enlistee. There are exclusions for certain "experts" etc.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
www.defenselink.mil...

Ok here is a link that explains what the different reserve status' are.

Go read, in some cases the can call you back......

Always read the small print before you sign anything in the military or don't they teach that anymore?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Here's I post a put in a similar thread - sorry it's a little out of context, but check out the link:
Hey EastCoastKid,
Here's a link to that information. I posted it off of what my father told me when we discussed the recall, but I was able to find support here:
www.military.com... 67%2C00.html
I'm behind you 100% on the Army of One thing - like I said earlier, the idea is good but the blatent message declared in the slogan itself is a horrible anecdote to what they are trying to get across.

Before my father retired he worked in the Army's Marketing/Advertising/Recruitment department, helping to build the image of the Army as a team and shortly after he retired they scrapped it for what we have now

[edit on 6/30/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Of course, the recall of retired soldiers requires a declaration of war or a national state of emergency, so not very likely

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
What pisses me off, is that we all should have seen this coming, long ago! The recall of the IRR is the next stage in mobilization of the Armed Forces.

It does indeed take an act of Congress to go to full mobilization. But ever closer to the inexorable point we go.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The mistake began with the downsizing of our army a little over 10 years ago - my dad retired because of it and I'm actually kind of glad, or else he'd probably be over there right now.
It was all a big strategic muck up that the military is making up for by buying people's time who have already served their country.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
In this related story 58 of the called up are from Maine, most of them have recently left the service and will be called up to take advantage of their military training in fields such as military policing, engineering, logistics, medicine or transportation.

Original Story

Close to 60 Mainers are expected to join thousands of former U.S. soldiers who are being forced back into uniform as the Army prepares to beef up its ranks to cope with the strain of long campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
318 soldiers from Georgia will be called up...

Georgians Report for Duty in Military Call-up

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Of course, the recall of retired soldiers requires a declaration of war or a national state of emergency, so not very likely

I'm guessing you were either in a Very Long Meeting or Taking a Very Long Nap. In either case, here are your messages 'While you were Out".

Declaration of National Emergency by Reason Of Certain Terrorist Attacks
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

A national emergency exists by reason of the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center, New York, New York, and the Pentagon, and the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks on the United States.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, I hereby declare that the national emergency has existed since September 11, 2001, and, pursuant to the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.), I intend to utilize the following statutes: sections 123, 123a, 527, 2201(c), 12006, and 12302 of title 10, United States Code, and sections 331, 359, and 367 of title 14, United States Code.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Funny, I don't seem to see any 'End Date' on this. Just a 'Start Date'. Is that a big deal???

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Related story from New York .

NYRecall Story

WASHINGTON - Hundreds of reservists in New York will receive Mailgrams on Tuesday telling them they are among the 5,600 soldiers being called back for duty in Iraq or Afghanistan, military officials said yesterday.

While the exact state-by-state figures were not made public, the Army confirmed that the Empire State will be one of five states hit hardest, along with Florida, Pennsylvania, California and Texas.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Here are some other 'Messages, While you were Out.'

Notice Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Risk of Nuclear Proliferation Created by the Accumulation of Weapons-Usable Fissile Material in the Territory of the Russian Federation
June 16, 2004
www.whitehouse.gov...

Notice Continuation of the National Emergency Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq Has An Interest
May 20, 2004
www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Thanks for pointing that out mOjOm
*stretches after many moons of hibernating*
I knew there was a national emergency declared after 9/11 but I was unaware of the lacking end date - not a pleasing thought...

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Thanks for pointing that out mOjOm
*stretches after many moons of hibernating*
I knew there was a national emergency declared after 9/11 but I was unaware of the lacking end date - not a pleasing thought...

You can say that again. Supposedly from what I understand a Declaration of National Emergency lasts for 90 days, unless some Continuation of National Emergency Status is made which then allows it beyond that initial 90 day period. (How long the Continuation lasts or if there is such a standard limit I am unaware of as they also have no end date listed on them either. I assume it's another 90 days, but have no verification to back up my assumption as of yet.)

That being said, it does make the whole process a bit of a double edge sword IMO. While it's good that there is a Standard Time Limit on such things to keep them from continuing forever if left unchecked. It also at the same time kind of guarantees some sort of National Emergency roughly every 90 days or less out of the need for justifying it's legitimacy and use of the Extra Powers it Allows others to Wield. Ya know what I mean???

Talk about incentive for the whole 'Problem-Reaction-Solution' method of Controlling the masses with a pseudo dictatorship!!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Here is the current end date:
Apparently it has been extended for A YEAR!

The national emergency declared on June 21, 2000, must continue beyond June 21, 2004, to provide continued protection from attachment, judgment, decree, lien, execution, garnishment, or other judicial process for the property and interests in property of the Government of the Russian Federation that are directly related to the implementation of the HEU Agreements and subject to U.S. jurisdiction. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to weapons-usable fissile material in the territory of the Russian Federation. This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.

www.whitehouse.gov...

top topics

join