It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what knowledge or supplies to you still need?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
just a follow up on this thread.
your specialty

personally i'm expanding my knowledge of edibles, along with learning how to dehydrate and store food for the long term.
i'm also going to begin to learn how to shoot better.
i'm a decent shot but have never spent enough time practicing.
one thing i really need to spend time on is moving targets.
it's pretty easy to go to a range and hit stationary targets.
a couple of friends and i are looking into the beast way to do this.
we're thinking of some sort of pulley/ winch system to drag targets at different speeds.
any info would be appreciated.
another thing that i'm going to work on this winter is my stamina.
i can hike all day without stop, yet find it tough to really cover ground at a quicker pace. especially when it comes to steep up hill.
what are you working on, where do you need to expand your horizons?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Get a laser for the barrel of your firearm and learn to track the target, then after that start with close range and gradually move them back, distance and speed is all you need to factor in when hitting a target. Worry about climate conditions once you master the basics.
I am learning how to stash goods, can't steal what you can't find. I live in a city, smaller then I used to, but still a city, I have neighbors. If something goes down I am more worried about the people around me then anything else, so my goal is to get away from population as quickly as possible. Then all the other skills come into play.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

great idea.
excuse my ignorance, have never used one, but are they interchangeable?
can i use the same laser on my old m1a and my .45?
what is the price range for them?
money is quite tight right now.
if you know of a good link it would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I just saw one in Midway USA on sale for around 50-70 bucks and it is interchangeable. They all differ a bit though. What I did was get a laser pointer and wrap tape around it so it fit snug and pushed in the button at the same time that cost me 5 dollars. Type in Barrel Laser.
edit on 11/19/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Lately I've been stockpiling all the information I can gather about several topics. Edible wild plants, trapping and hunting, and survival guides. I am adept at outdoorsmanship, but why not have hard copies to study at a later date when you might be hasty or distracted.

If you must travel, be fast...because you will run the risk of being caught in a mob of people fleeing the city and that would be a worse situation than if you just stayed put and dealt with your neighbors.

whatchya'll think?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Heres a sugestion for your moving target issue, try walking and shooting the target first, then move along to a slow jog. Keep picking up the pace as you advance in your shooting, start by trying to put three rounds in the target as you move. Have someone yell go and start shoting after you have taken three steps.
This helps with moving targets without having to have some huge pully or whatever set up.
Remeber breathing, triger control and try to keep in mind where your stepping as you move along.

Good Luck.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I know money is tight with "Everyone" but................. You truely do get what you pay for when it comes to gun add on's. Your going to be highly pissed off if that $5.00 lazer doesnt hold up to even half the needs it was ment for.
Find out what you like and whats a good buy, search around and find whats affordable.
These guys sell a affordable lazer sight as long as you buy the "RED" one, yep thats right, even color makes a price diffrence, it will also fit on your rifel rail system if you have one.
I know this sounds like Im bagging on folks shop on a budget, Ive spent a few dollars pimping out my gear and wasted more then I care to share on no name or knock offs, please please please, step it up when you can.

www.laserlyte.com...
edit on 11/19/2010 by Patrioitinsheepclothing because: forgot to add link

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by reverandrandy

Personally I think this is a great Idea, if I find something useful on the internet, I copy and paste into my portable hard drive so I can refrence back when I need to.
Its going to make for good use when it comes to herbs and medical issues as well as building or putting a presidental fi on things.

thumbs up for you my friend, but dont forget to put a spare set of cables you will need to run the hard drive off a computer.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I find most that use laser 'sights' tend to rely on them. That is the only reason I suggested an internal 'barrel' laser to practice with at first, get the movements down then try it in action. Walking while shooting is a great idea but is harder to master then being stationary and trying to hit a moving target. My 5 dollar homemade internal barrel sight works great, lines up with everything I use it for. Since it will never be used in real life situations I don't see the point in spending more.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I got my 25 pound bag of rice 3 years ago when the survivalists were sure the end was near. Now it has bugs in it. I put the whole bag in the microwave for 3 minutes to kill the bugs. I guess I can pick out the bugs while waiting for the radiation outside my bunker to go away. I guess a bag of bugs is protien.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

hey everyone thanx for the ideas.
the 'walk and shoot', was one of those things where i slap myself on the forehead and say, 'damn, why didn't i think of that'!

I know money is tight with "Everyone" but................. You truly do get what you pay for when it comes to gun add on's.

i'm a true believer in this concept. i always go for quality, and to be honest the lasers seem much cheaper than i expected.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

My 5 dollar homemade internal barrel sight

i'm a bit confused by this.
how can a laser be in the barrel?
wouldn't a discharging bullet hit it?
or am i just not picturing what you mean?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It's only used for targeting you can't shoot with it in there.
We use it to get movements down, not waist cartridges and avoid killing each other at times.
It's a basic tool but comes in handy.

By the way putting a bullet in a body isn't as easy as some lend it to be, use human-like targets if that is what you are planning to protect yourself against in this hypothetical situation.
Happy Hunting!

edit on 11/19/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Your right,a barrel sight is great for smoothing your moves and sight line up. I would think that shooting and moving is what you will use more of, sitting in one spot for long periods of time and picking guys off is only hollywood or gods gift to a sniper. Lazers are nice, but he is right, they will fail after time no matter how bomber it is. Stay old school with Iron Sights after your comfortable, even if you have a rifle with a Aimpoint or EOTech, keep the iron up even with the sight on.
Learning to hit moving targets is important, but hitting targets that your moving away from will cover two needed training issues. Most guys can't put 10 rounds in a pie plate from 15yrs when the time is needed and thats standing still, truely guys....learn to shoot on the move after you have your ground work down, maybe a buddy has a .22 pistol, its a good gun to practice with and its cheap to shoot. Or maybe you have a few buddies you all can go in on a .22 to cut down the cost for all to use when training???

Take a look at this site if you care,this system is for "In Your Face" situations, taught to me by a X-Spec Op friend of mine, I laughed when I first tried this form of shooting, but the over all effects were "HUGE" in gain to my shooting. It felt very weird not being in a weaver forward tac stance, and not pulling the gun up to my sight line as I have done since I was 8, but................... I was able to cut my draw and contact time down and still be very effective with my hits.
www.sabretactical.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You can get what is called a "Guide Rod Laser Sight", its a laser built into the guns guide rod, very nice to shoot with, takes alot out of the way, but they are spendy.

The use of a "Bore Sight is what we are talking about for practice off the range.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Get a laser for the barrel of your firearm and learn to track the target, then after that start with close range and gradually move them back, distance and speed is all you need to factor in when hitting a target. Worry about climate conditions once you master the basics.
I am learning how to stash goods, can't steal what you can't find. I live in a city, smaller then I used to, but still a city, I have neighbors. If something goes down I am more worried about the people around me then anything else, so my goal is to get away from population as quickly as possible. Then all the other skills come into play.

Good luck finding batteries for that laser

second line

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, I've just increased my chicken flock, and shortly will be increasing the duck flock. We're in the process of building a gasifier and I've got a bigger supply of seeds on order.

I've decided there isn't enough time even if Nothing HTF to learn everything I want to learn.

We have a nice supply of goods, foods and other necessities to be comfortable for quite a while assuming we don't have to bug. We have a nice supply of hand tools and manual equipment to sustain us adequately as long as we don't have to bug. I still have to print out a bunch of manuals, pdf's etc for the things I want to know how to do. I've been getting that done a bit at a time.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Battery's! I have lots of small solar panels.
If a big one brakes you lose it all.
But I need some thing small that will drop 12V to 1.5 3V 9.5V.
So I can charge small battery’s.
And how can I cheaply power a computer from 12V.
I have a mains inverter. But it will not work.

Bugs in your rice!
keep it very dry and dont let any thing get in it.
It will go bad and make you sick.
You just make rice pudding.
You just biol it for more than 10 mins.
Start timing after you put the rice in and it starts boiling)
That sterilises it.
It is best to do that with any food that
may have been contaminated at all.
Any big lumps, brake them up.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

You can check into these, they can power a small recharge setup for your batteries and depending on the sun will depend on your recharge time for a laptop.
www.rei.com...
If you shop around Im sure you can find them cheaper or something along that line, rolls up nice and fits in very little space in a bag.

If your rice got any moisture in it, then it might rot and funk up your whole batch, Cool and Dry storage is the key, try putting some common Saltine Crackers in with what your storing, it helps take up any moisture that might leak in.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

But I need some thing small that will drop 12V to 1.5 3V 9.5V. So I can charge small battery’s. And how can I cheaply power a computer from 12V. I have a mains inverter. But it will not work.

this should not be a problem.
radio shack and many others sell an adjustable 12 volt power supply.
plugs into a cigarette lighter and has a switch so you can vary the output, most of the better ones go from 3 volt to 12.
i have 3 deep cycles hooked together and can power or charge anything.
if you are trying to use small panels by themselves to power anything, this is most likely where you're having trouble.
i use a small panel to directly power a shortwave radio, but if you need more juice you will need a bigger panel.
let me know if this helps, id a 'mains' inverter the brand name?
i have an older statwatt, i think that's the brand, that's kicked ass for 15 years without a problem.
w/3 deep cycles it's enough to run smaller power tools at the same time i charger cordless tools, my cell phone and any other thing.

new topics

top topics

join