It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman lived in Chicago museum for a month...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Kate McGroarty lived for a month inside The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago.

I remember when you had the chance to sign up for this and I was ALL for it. I didn't win obviously. I would love to have had this opportunity. She had a room where she stayed but she had pretty much free reign of the museum at night. She slept in a few odd places like a WW 2 era German sub, how cool! Just the list of things at the museum makes it interesting and a place I would love to have lived for a month. She was required to post on social networking sites about her daily experiences. Her time there ended yesterday and she got 10k out of it. What an experience that had to be. I guess you would only appreciate it if you were a science museum nut like me

Here is some info:

A grand experiment
At the start, McGroarty had little clue what she was getting herself into. Nobody did, really.
This has been a grand experiment even for museum staffers who hatched the plan. They were looking for a new way to market the venerable Chicago institution, and maybe — just maybe — to shed an image that even the museum's CEO acknowledges had gotten a little stodgy.

One of the world's largest science museums, with nearly 14 acres of exhibits, the Museum of Science and Industry is probably best known as home to the Apollo 8 command module, the U-boat submarine, various planes and a train, and a coal mine that has been a permanent exhibit since the museum first opened in 1933.
"People often tell me how they visited the museum when they were children," says David Mosena, the museum's president and CEO. "I always ask them, 'So when was the last time you visited?'"

Too often, he wasn't getting the answer he wanted. Too few had heard about new exhibits, from the Smart Home to "Science Storms," which features a towering simulated tornado. He and his staff wanted to be edgier to attract a younger audience. They wanted to take a chance.

So this summer, they offered the public a chance to take up residence amid the exhibits, and a $10,000 prize.

source

Would you have done this? Do you think it's a good human experiment?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sounds to me like a much better contest than that 'Hold your wee for a wii' debacle.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer

Sounds to me like a much better contest than that 'Hold your wee for a wii' debacle.

The what? lol

Yea this would have been a very cool experience. I love museums and esp ones that are science related. I applied to do this but didn't get picked obviously.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Hi Mblah,

I would have done this in a heartbeat. It would have been so much fun and having a month would really let you get intimate with the exhibits (in a wholesome way)

I wish I could do this!

Cheers
Shane

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

After the Nintendo Wii was released, some radio station, in California I believe, held some contest to see who could hold their urine the longest after consuming a large quantity of water with the grand prize being a Wii. Well, a lady actually died from drinking too much water as a result of the contest.

Not gonna bother posting any links because a quick google search of 'Hold your wee for a Wii' will yield countless sources.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

WHAT! That is ridiculous! Wow just shows people will do the stupidest things for material items. It's a Wii! Holding it isn't good either!

This was a good contest. You had to submit an essay and a minute video on why you wanted it, what you would do and how you would spend the money. It would have been a cool experience. She had the internet! Imagine the threads I could have made lol

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I would love to do that/this.

There is a big WWI&II musuem near my place. Maybe I could retire and work there. May as well get paid.

The problem is I would be moving all the stuff around to do re-inactments etc.
)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I would love to do that/this.

There is a big WWI&II musuem near my place. Maybe I could retire and work there. May as well get paid.

The problem is I would be moving all the stuff around to do re-inactments etc.
)

I think working in a museum as a curator would be the coolest job!

Haha re-inactments! Yeah that might be a pain.

edit on 11/19/2010 by mblahnikluver because: spelling

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I entered and didn't win either
Oh well, I'm sure it was awesome, and while I don't get jealous often, I was definitely jealous she won.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It may not be a month but you can spend the night in many museums - boys and girls scouts have sleep overs. I'm pretty sure you can just rent it for the night. I had worked for a large company who rented a Chicago museum for their company party.

new topics

top topics

join