It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy Snow set for England again this year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It seems the UK is set for more cold winter this year, the forecast has been set for what seems the end of next week.
Winds from Scandinavia are coming over to the UK and Eastern and Northern UK will be the areas most affected, daytime temperatures may not rise over 4C. It looks as if the now may stay until the second week of December

It may not be a white Christmas though, so be prepared for a cold winter this year again.
edit on 19-11-2010 by avvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
snowboarding in Hull anyone?
second line.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 19-11-2010 by Lagrimas because: link

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
You got a link? Im from the UK and hope the winter is not as bad as last year all though ma gut feeling tells me otherwise. The first 2 days of snow last year were fun drunken sledging and such antics, but it soon became a royal pain in the butt.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I'm betting that the 30 yr oscilation is correct and we are going to get traditional winters for the next 30 yrs - bought some winter tyres and snowchains a few weeks ago just in case.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I love weather predictions in the UK. They never come true, or come true because they will happen! Let’s compare predictions: Hottest summer since last year, coldest winter, wettest June, dampest drizzle, coldest ice, brightest sun, greyest overcast sky et al. It is all rubbish.

My prediction is that it will snow in the UK (as it does every year) and that regardless of the amount of snow the press will report “chaos”, with the caveat that the chaos will only be "real chaos” if it gets slightly frosty in London forcing the Townies to wear a jumper.

So far this winter I have experienced -4 degrees Celsius at 0600 on Salisbury Plain and no one noticed. Last winter it went down to -11 degrees Celcius and the world did not end, except in London of course, where someone slipped over on some ice and the busses and underground were then closed for health and safety reaons!

Regards

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
We don't all live in towns or with access to decent public transport. I live out in the sticks on the border between Yorkshire and Lancashire. The last winter was the worst I have known for years. Not so much with the snow but because of the protracted ice and cold. My rural access lane was impassable for a least one solid month. And even the actual road became impassable due to its hilly nature and inadequate gritting.
Local car parks and pavements were treacherous. Casualty departments were overrun by people with broken bones, the elderly didn't dare go out.
Neighbours who did get to work sometimes had to walk the last mile home.
And not much fun if you are an agency worker and only get paid for turning up or if your car ends up in a shunt.
The local farmer says it is going to be a bad one and that they can tell by this years berries.

By the way, the Telegraph link is for the previous winter.
edit on 19-11-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Worcester here in the West Midlands, last years snow was EPIC, never seen so much snow in my life!

I also went up to Malvern, the snow was above my knees in some parts of the Hills.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I found the story about snow this year on Orange.co.uk

CX

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Bring it on.

Not that we get much here down south, but we get enough for everything to shut down as usual.

I'm sorted though. Have enough power cut supplies to last a lifetime, i've been stocking up on a few 25kg bags of salt, and most importantly......i built a homemade wooden sledge for the kids
None of the plastic rubbish that snaps in two seconds, solid wood with beaten copper tubing runners.

Good enough to hold me funnily enough.

CX.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'm tempted to retire a couple of months early.
Then I too can sit and chuckle at the unfortunates trying to get to work.
edit on 19-11-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
We don't all live in towns or with access to decent public transport. I live out in the sticks on the border between Yorkshire and Lancashire. The last winter was the worst I have known for years. Not so much with the snow but because of the protracted ice and cold. My rural access lane was impassable for a least one solid month. And even the actual road became impassable due to its hilly nature and inadequate gritting.
Local car parks and pavements were treacherous. Casualty departments were overrun by people with broken bones, the elderly didn't dare go out.
Neighbours who did get to work sometimes had to walk the last mile home.
And not much fun if you are an agency worker and only get paid for turning up or if your car ends up in a shunt.
The local farmer says it is going to be a bad one and that they can tell by this years berries.

If the local farmer has a tractor that can push snow around, ask him about clearing roads, driveways. I'm snowed in right now with a foot of snow, but I know my neighbour will be along with his tractor today or tomorrow. I'd be stuck here without him, my driveway is about 200 feet long. It sounds as though you people in the UK might start to get winters like some areas of Canada.

It's not too bad if you can find/hire a tractor
Otherwise, it's a nightmare

Good luck.......

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Last year was horrendous, it was the time the UK stood still lol i remember walking to work with no traffic, no people or shops open at all

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
They deserve it. The BBC has been shilling shamelessly for global warming, climate change, and beating the 'it is already too late' drum feverishly, to boot.

I cannot think of any better way to bury the bono's and their 'father al' than for God to smash them all upside the head, using the broadest possible symbolism. Never forget, there are many climate change mutants who are demanding a list of deniers for future punishment, besides the 'send them to the dock at Nuremberg' cult that has made itself famous for their present set of punishment demands. In other words, there are many about whose brains are stunted from a lifetime of media conditioning who are demanding that everyone who scoffs be accountable for the future propaganda which blames man for a universal phenomena, that of fluctuations. The masters know that they can set up the thought climate to cover any situation. That there are volcanoes spewing in record numbers is somewhat of a problem for this entire group.

I digress. Again, England deserves it. We all do. Else, there's no defense against the masters who lie about everything in order to control, and to gain.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
You got a link? Im from the UK and hope the winter is not as bad as last year all though ma gut feeling tells me otherwise. The first 2 days of snow last year were fun drunken sledging and such antics, but it soon became a royal pain in the butt.

Here's more fun regarding the historic passage of the climatechange™ bill in the UK.

climateresearchnews.com...

What does IT MEAN????

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I hope we get snow like last year it was AWESOMMEEE
cept we had to push the car everywhere -_-"
also we live on the top of a massive hill and at the bottom of the hill is a major junction so pulling out wasnt much fun XD
also my dad crashed the car into the house
and my mum did the year before
that means im the only one in this house who hasnt crashed the car into the house winn

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by avvie

WOW!

We’re doing weather reports now on ATS!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
According to some people that I've worked with in the past they somehow think it strange or odd that winter should be cold
So when the snow is a few feet deep and the wind is blowing a gale and its bloody freezing (and by that I mean below 0 deg c ) I have a wee smirk to myself and think yer a bunch of halfwits for thinking that winter should be anything else but this.

As for another cold / snowy winter, then yee haw! I dont know if there is a pattern to the weather or not as I seem to remember many years of snow and cold temps throughout the 70's and 80's. The 90's had some cold winters too; I specifically remember the winter of 95 where Altnaharra in the Highlands reached a low of minus 25 deg c. But from then on til last year it seems that all i can remember are dreary wet mild winters with lots of flooding. But if we're about to get 30 years of cold winters then Im all for it.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It all depends on the Stratospheric Warming Trend for this year. With a La Nina season the Atlantic has been active the last part of Autumn into Spring, but now cooling is established across all the Northern Hemisphere it's allowing the Polar Vortex to shift into its seasonal positions. Just where these will be however depend on High Pressure dominants, and the trend is (for the continuing November anyway) for a Scandi-High to build allowing the Easterlies to come flooding across the North Sea from Russia.

So the mild Atlantic trend is now at a standstill for the part while this High dominates the scene, Stratospheric Warming over Russia is allowing upper cooling to sink further down lowering the DAM rate (whats needed to lower the freezing level contors) and thus bringing more colder/drier air Westwards into Europe.

This trend is earlier than last year as it occured in late January, lasting up until March when the SST (sea surface temps) recovered enough to allow moisture to rejuvinate the Atlantic Jetstream again by inhibition, I'd expect to see some very icy, clear, snow-shower days in the next 5 months.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
My daughter works for the Enviromental Agency in York, snow forcast for the north next weekend, an even worse winter than last year.

Nothing new, 1947, '63 coldest for 200 years.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well i said it would happen and it has.

new topics

top topics

join