It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis - Why do we sense evil?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Firstly, I don't think anything sinister is going on, so it's not going to be any grand claim of adbuction or spirits or otherwise. Secondly, I'd just like to state what it feels like, what I've thought about it and reason with any of you interested in it.

Anyways, I am a sufferer of Sleep Paralysis - at least once a week and it sucks. I'd really like it to stop happening or at best, for it not to feel so scary.

What happens with me is that I'm normally dreaming of something quite mundane, like driving. Then something horrid will happen (I pass out at the wheel and start careering towards a truck) The feeling of impending doom will horrify me to the point that I will hope its a dream - thus becoming aware that it is a dream. Then BAM once, I realise it's a dream, I try to wake up and get this SUCKING feeling, like I'm being dragged somewhere (I guess to sleep) - like whatever it is that takes our conciousness out of our body when we fall to sleep is still trying to do that, and my concious is resisting it which is why I get the pulling sensation. And all this time, I think I'm screaming and flailing myself about the place. (Which I am not - as partner always verifies)

Even though this happens to me regularly, I still forget for a while what it is I can do to wake up. Usually I just try to move something small like my fingertips. But if it's a bad one (ie: fingertips isnt working) Ill say 'In Jesus Name' (I am not religious at all - I just figure its the most powerful thing to say since the feeling is always so Evil and foreboding.) And I wake right up, think 'phew thank goodness that's over' turn over, try to get rid of the horrible feeling and go back to sleep.

Now, I do believe the phenomenon is explainable by science. In terms of what happens physically, getting caught between sleep stages etc.. But it is not called a phenomenon for nothing. It's just a major odd experience to have. It feel's so very surreal, infact the closest thing anyone could have to a outer body experience that IS fully accepted and experienced by many.

The thing that makes me scratch my head, is that it is ALWAYS accompanyed with a sense of impending doom and evil. Why is that?!? I LOVE sleep, I've no issue with being carried off into the land of NOD. So why when I become aware that I AM being carried off into the land of NOD do I resist it. Why can't I let myself go? I have tried but it's like I submit a little and the sucking feeling feels so terrifying that I darent go any further.

Is it just a malfunction? Like a computer you have clicked everything on it to shutdown but it's still faffing around and you have to shut it down illegally? Is the sense of doom, from our reptilian brain (not the alien type) the fight or flee part of our brains... We can't flee mentally so we fight it? We just feel out of control and panic?

Anyone got any thoughts? Own experiences? I'd love to hear them.

PS - I am quite a normal, healthy, happy person. I've had no real trauma in my life. So I can't even blame life for these nightmare/episodes

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Treacherous

First off i'd like to say "man that sucks!"

Secondly i may have a cure for you. my wife was telling me about a study that was showing that videogamers have cognative control over there dreams. apparently the control you get from games like rpg's and the like give the players the benefit of controlling their dreams. i dont nor have i ever suffered from sleep paralysis. but i play alot of playstation and i can tell you from first hand experience that i NEVER have nightmares. if my car was driving into a ditch i will simply grab the wheel and put her back on the road. other than that i dont know but. gl

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I think everyone experiences Sleep Paralysis at one time or another in their lives. As you stated, it is not a nice feeling and to hear that it is happening so often to you makes me feel sorry for you. Are you going through any issues in your life right now that might be impacting heavily on your mindset? Besides seeking possible professional help from somebody experienced in the area of Sleep Paralysis, I encourage you to face your fears as best you can when these feelings of dread come about. It is difficult, but it can be done. You have the power to conquer your fears - you just need to come to the realisation deep within your mind that you are in control and that you will not allow these feelings of dread to overcome you.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
As a former SP sufferer I feel your pain. As far as why we sense evil? I need to think on that. However I did cure my SP by no longer sleeping on my back. I only sleep on my stomach. Although I haven't had one since I started playing MMORPG games on a regular bases. As far as it helping you to control your dreams, that would be the cause of why games would have helped me with SP because I have always been able to control my dreams, even as a small child. I know some people have visuals with SP, I never did, only the physical sensations, whoever before I learned what it was I always expected to see something but the "entity" was always invisible to me.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Boredomsux

I agree, I have taken control of many dreams, although I find as soon as I realised what is happening I usually wake up. I read up on lucid dreaming a while ago, there are ways to develope the skill.

en.wikipedia.org...

As for the "Evil" or feeling of doom described by the OP, you are reading way too much into it, I would say it should be obvious. You are PARALYZED, Theres not many (if any) people that wouldnt feel fear & dread if they woke to find they are completely paralyzed, nothing sinister or "evil" about it, you are reacting exactly the same as everyone else would in the same situation. (especialy if you just came from a scary dream, I find it alot easier to remember the "feeling" of a dream than the actual content, couple nightmare with paralysis and I know for a fact I would feel fear & dread)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by S3ns1bl3

I agree, I have taken control of many dreams, although I find as soon as I realised what is happening I usually wake up. I read up on lucid dreaming a while ago, there are ways to develope the skill.

en.wikipedia.org...

As for the "Evil" or feeling of doom described by the OP, you are reading way too much into it, I would say it should be obvious. You are PARALYZED, Theres not many (if any) people that wouldnt feel fear & dread if they woke to find they are completely paralyzed, nothing sinister or "evil" about it, you are reacting exactly the same as everyone else would in the same situation. (especialy if you just came from a scary dream, I find it alot easier to remember the "feeling" of a dream than the actual content, couple nightmare with paralysis and I know for a fact I would feel fear & dread)

Actually I would say that the fear experienced is to a large degree something beyond our control and caused by the disorder, the lack of control just amplifies it. Some lucky people actually exprience ecstatic states in their sleep paralysis and try not to let it end! My theory is that a certain part of the brain is over/understimulated (not exactly sure) and this leads to the sense of fear. This is what actually happens in epilepsy (also a nuerological disorder), some people experience the worst sense of dread and impending doom before fits and some people intense joy depending on what area of the brain is overacting.

I have had sleep paralysis and hypnopompic hallucinations (where you are half awake and see things which are not there) for over 15 years now. I too find I can't sleep on my back as this will cause very disrupted sleep, I think that might be to do with blood flow to a certain area of the brain.

Even after all these years some of the episodes can be terrifying but in some cases I have a degree of control now. I've learned that things like stress, too many stimulants etc can make it much worse. I also remain fascinated in the mysteries of the sleep state and the possible cross over into the realms of the paranormal experience. For me that line seems to be blurred.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Well that is interesting... thank you. I am quite into online gaming. (Hence the avvie) so you would think I'd be better at grabbing the wheel - as it were.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I think you are right. I have become better at waking up from them. I used to be in torture for what felt like hours (probably seconds lol) trying to come round. Now ive mastered that, I need to relax about it. Afterall there is nothing to fear. Just wonder why it feels that way. >:O/

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I have a very long article I've been writing about his.. Hopefully I'll get it finished soon and will link it here for you.

As i've said in many SP threads, I have it very regularly (a several times a week in my younger days [10-15] and a few times a month now at 25). I honestly think the sense of evil is the fact that we are partly still under the influence of our dreaming mind despite being awake and that combined with the fact we are paralyzed triggers our instinctual fight or flight (but again, paralyzed so nothing we can do). The confused dream state coupled with this instinctive fear creates this effect i think. I always have the sense of someone/thing malevolent just outside of my field of vision or at my door always just about to enter. The thread i'm working on is the '___' connection. I should have it up by the end of the week. I'm working on it a little everyday after work.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by S3ns1bl3

(Sorry I'm replying to you all personally I don't know how to do a big one)

I think its the sucking sensation that scares me. Reminds me of that film ghost when the demons come and carry out the bad dude at the end.

That said, yes you are right - I guess anyone feeling paraylsed would panic. You are very S3ns1bl3

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I've only had this experience once - I just thought wow! so this is the famous sleep paralysis - there was a brooding sense of presence, and I became aware of a golem like creature at the bottom of the bed he started thrashing about in a fit of temper because I had woken up and as I focused on him he semmed to dissolve into nothingness.

I think the doomy feeling comes because it is the emotional tone of the realm between this world and the astral worlds a sort of yellowy, desolate claustraphobic doomy no-mans land, I have been there in lucid dreams,.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

I wish I had the euphoric state
You may be onto something about the brain being overactive, I do take a LOT of caffiene to exercize in the day, It wears off a few hours before bed but my mind is kinda hectic just before sleep. I hadn't really linked the two, as I have suffered with it on and off all my life but it has been weekly just recently. Thank you sir.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
I have a very long article I've been writing about his.. Hopefully I'll get it finished soon and will link it here for you.

As i've said in many SP threads, I have it very regularly (a several times a week in my younger days [10-15] and a few times a month now at 25). I honestly think the sense of evil is the fact that we are partly still under the influence of our dreaming mind despite being awake and that combined with the fact we are paralyzed triggers our instinctual fight or flight (but again, paralyzed so nothing we can do). The confused dream state coupled with this instinctive fear creates this effect i think. I always have the sense of someone/thing malevolent just outside of my field of vision or at my door always just about to enter. The thread i'm working on is the '___' connection. I should have it up by the end of the week. I'm working on it a little everyday after work.

I shall look out for that. Sounds like I had been thinking along the right lines with the fight or flight thing. Just wish it didn't feel so bad. I'm gona try all these ideas Ive gleaned from the thread. Thanks

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

Thanks for sharing! Damn, I wouldn't want Gollam at the bottom of my bed. That sucks! Although, the worst one I've ever had was that a witch was sat on my bed and she stabbed her nail (it was like a knife) right into my chest and was wriggling it about. When I finally realised it was a dream and woke up. (After much screaming inside) I was absolutely covered in sweat and so scared. I was only about 18 at the time and lived alone. Luckily, its usually just a dream and then me realising its a dream and then panic. Its horrible when its coupled with a nightmare at the same time. :O/

Ive been hearing all about this Lucid dreaming... I remember it from Vanilla Sky lol. Im gonna have a read.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I am also a long time sufferer of sleep paralysis and have a few ideas. May haps the process is a remnant of an earlier time in our distant history. We are diurnal creatures and as such are pretty crappy at most things when there is an absence of light. In the past there were a lot of other creatures more adept at operating in the dark who found humans to be very tasty. One defence mechanism used by mammals in such situations is to stay silent and lie very still. Mayhaps we are brought to semi consciousness by a faint auditory stimulus of a similar kin to the stealthy stalking of a predator. Our desire to move may be constrained by our old school survival instincts that force us to lie still and stay silent. Sudden movement would be a giveaway to certain predators. The evil feeling could be the minds fear of a predator. In my own experiences there is always something moving towards me with evil intent.
Anyhow just a wild stab in the dark

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

Interesting, I do remember my friends sister telling me about feeling as something realy bad is going to happen right before a fit or some times like a feeling of extreme regret was how she described it (both his sister & his mum are epileptic).

Also your point on getting a restless sleep on your back caught my attention. I can ONLY sleep on my back (due to a shoulder injury), however I do find there is a definite difference between lying on my side & lying on my back. When lying on my side I find it easier to visualize things, be it something that happened earlier in the day or a TV show, whatever, I find I can get a much clearer "picture" when lying on my side. When on my back I am still able to visualize, however I do find it much harder and it does require more concetration. I think you could be onto something there,I will need to look into that. It would also explain why I am a very light sleeper, even having devices on standby in my bedroom is enough to keep me awake.

edit on 19-11-2010 by S3ns1bl3 because: spelling

edit on 19-11-2010 by S3ns1bl3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Thanks

Sorry about the tone of that post by the way, I usualy try to be a little less "sure of myself" in my posts, had to send a few ranty work email's today, think that mind set got stuck for a bit!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

edit on 19-11-2010 by S3ns1bl3 because: double

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I had an experiance with sleep paralysis where I had visual hallucinations once. It was the worst feeling that I have ever had. I was having a dream that I was lying in my bed and there was a self on the wall beside it that had a singular doll on it. I was looking at it thinking that it was odd when the doll started to move. Then it started getting bigger and more sinister looking. I tried to move but I couldn't. It ended up that I was half awake and had sleep paralysis. My wife said that I kept making weird noises and jerking really hard. I attribute incidents like this one with stress usually. No idea if it would be the same for you or not.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hi, I get this at least once a month. The first few times I thought I was dying, ha ha ha. Now that I know what it is I do not panic, I just stay calm then do what you do, try to move a finger or I try to say something. I guess the evil feeling is due to the unknown, although you know what it is- when you first wake paralyzed you do not automatically say oh its ok and so on, you say, omg I cant move etc etc etc. Ha ha.

Peace,

Seq

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join