It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New navy ships

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
New stealth ships.

www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
where can i get one

they look a few years away i think, next 10 to 20 years maybe or a little longer, good pics though thanks for posting them

the basic external layout seems to have changed a bit, new weapon system me thinks

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
where can i get one

they look a few years away i think, next 10 to 20 years maybe or a little longer, good pics though thanks for posting them

the basic external layout seems to have changed a bit, new weapon system me thinks

you didnt read the site did you? the ships are already being built as demonstratiors, these will be here before 20 years.

it has a triple hull design.

[edit on 30-6-2004 by namehere]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I wonder why the term "stealth" is applied to a ship?!

I mean, with a stealth plane you can't always see it on radar, you usually can't hear it, and you're lucky if you can see it unless the skies are perfectly clear.

A stealth ship really only has the whole no radar thing going for it...you kind of loose your element of surprise when Akmed's Royal Oil Field Bi-Plane Tours spots you from the skies above

They do look pretty cool though...maybe that's what "stealth" means nowadays.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
didn't see the link my eyes were drawn to the pretty ships

While the U.S. Navy isn't using Royal Navy superlatives just yet, it, too, is impressed.

nice to see that we (UK) can still impress

the future of warfare is going to get very interesting in the next few year

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
nice to see that we (UK) can still impress

the future of warfare is going to get very interesting in the next few year

lol, i had to look twice for that reason.

this will make things so much cheaper too the way the ships are designed, the US is funding alot of research on this, good seeing allies working on innovative projects.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I thought the Osprey was a dead project, to many problems with tilt prop setup?

john

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Ok let me clear up a few things. All of those ships in the pics are never going to be produced. A concept ship was built and it did not amount to anything. The coast guard are getting new ships and the navy is in the DD-X, CG-X, and LCS. Also the Osprey is going to come out. They went throught the entire aircraft and fixed the problems.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I saw one of the triple hull boats just off lands end 2 years ago,it looked impressive and wasnt roling about as much as most ships and was going quite fast.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Battleships could actually become useful again with this technology. Fianally a carrier battle group that wont completly relie on the carrier.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Battleships could actually become useful again with this technology. Fianally a carrier battle group that wont completly relie on the carrier.

Boy I don't know. The arsenal ship was one such idea (close at least) but a battleship would still be vunerable to air assests of prospective enemies.

Steathy carriers would probably be a better assest and team this with a few of the new Ohio SSGN's. However, bringing back on of the Iowa class, fitting it with a moderen suite of weapons and using it for amphibious support would be pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The Swedish navy is already using the Visby class corvette:

www.kockums.se...

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
actually the Swedish are still developing them they wont be used till a couple of years also the US will get the DDX is 2011-2012.

E_T

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
A stealth ship really only has the whole no radar thing going for it...you kind of loose your element of surprise when Akmed's Royal Oil Field Bi-Plane Tours spots you from the skies above

First: CBGs use AWACS if they want to hide location of ships.
And if ships are using radar you can't still know distance to them, RWR tells only direction so you would have to use own radar to get exact location.
That's where stealth comes to play, using decoys and others they can create much bigger radar targets than ships are actually, so it's much harder to tell which are real "targets". And it's same for "vampires", ships are also much harder targets to them.

And yes, ships can still be spotted from aircraft but in war situation your plane would have been shot down many times before you would be close to them.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I wonder why the term "stealth" is applied to a ship?!

I mean, with a stealth plane you can't always see it on radar, you usually can't hear it, and you're lucky if you can see it unless the skies are perfectly clear.

They do look pretty cool though...maybe that's what "stealth" means nowadays.

You have to take into account the range of missiles nowadays which is beyond visual range : u could be shot before ever seeing anything.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
First things first, Pushkin do you have to post such large images,
how about using a link. I use quite a high resolution,
but still find myself scrolling from side to side
just to read the text or maybe you could scale down the image.

I just realised, these images are the actual size of the models
used in the new Thunderbirds movie.

I don't know why I came into this thread actually,
unlike you lot, I don't get a hard on about Weapons of Mass Destruction..!

[edit on 1-7-2004 by Koka]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Here is China's latest stealth FFG which are almost complete. No one here thought China is building these babies, my guess.

www.sinodefence.com...
www.wforum.com...
www.wforum.com...

here are our new DDGs with stealth tech too; 4 are being built and will be complete soon
www.sinodefence.com...
www.wforum.com...

www.wforum.com...

Enjoy

[edit on 1-7-2004 by Hawkssss]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
actually the Swedish are still developing them they wont be used till a couple of years also the US will get the DDX is 2011-2012.

Anyways HMS Visby was launched in 2002 and HMS Helsingborg in 2003. The project started already in the eighties. They are busy testing them as we can see on pictures.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niclas

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Anyways HMS Visby was launched in 2002 and HMS Helsingborg in 2003. The project started already in the eighties. They are busy testing them as we can see on pictures.

Check this thread about the the Visby and other ship, also don't forget the French La Fayette class which it is producing for itself and several other navies Stealth ships steam ahead

Also check out RV Triton (UK research vessel in partnership with the US navy) - check out the size of the helicopter deck, also it is supposed to the the most stable platform for its size ever tested - naval helicopter pilots wet dream - may even take an Osprey

Also some of the concept craft based on the design

The United States has a keen interest in monitoring the development of the Trimaran FE

Concept Frigate design

RV Triton
Naval Technology Website

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
I saw one of the triple hull boats just off lands end 2 years ago,it looked impressive and wasnt roling about as much as most ships and was going quite fast.

What you saw was RV Triton check out above

top topics

<<   2 >>

join