It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first known case of cholera in the United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
i hope they manage to stop
the spread of this in ime

The first known case of cholera in the United States has been confirmed. The Florida Department of Health said on Wednesday that a woman in the southwest of the state contracted the disease during a recent visit to cholera-stricken Haiti, where it claimed the lives of more than 1,000 people. The woman reportedly visited a family in the worst-affected region of Lower Artibonite, where cholera was first diagnosed on October 19, and the intestinal infection caused by consumption of contaminated water and food spread to the north, north-east and north-western parts of the country later. The woman sought treatment for five days this month at a hospital in Collier County for symptoms of cholera. State health officials said the woman was expected to recover fully and that there was no room for panic, as "the state of Florida, and the U.S. generally, has a very sound infrastructure for food, water and sewage," unlike the non-hygenic conditions and contaminated drinking water in Haiti. It said several suspected cases of the disease have been reported elsewhere in the state, which are under investigation. Reports say frequent travel of people -- including Haiti aid workers - between Haiti and Florida, which is home to at least 250,000 people of Haitian descent, poses a potential threat of the epidemic spreading to this part of America. The Dominican Republic, which shares the Caribbean island of Hispanola with Haiti, confirmed its first case of cholera on Tuesday. The patient, a Haitian migrant, apparently contracted the disease during his recent visit of his homeland. It was for the first time in more than a century that the dual Hispanola island nations were struck with an outbreak of cholera. Haiti's Health Ministry estimates that more than 1,000 people have died and 16,000 others infected in five of the country's ten districts by the killer disease since its outbreak a month ago.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it spreading in the US. Cholera is fairly easy to contain as long as you have decent sources of drinking water, which isn't a problem in this case. I feel bad for the person who picked up the disease, but here in the US we don't have to worry about diseases like this very often.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
unless it mutates into something else

that seems to be happening a lot

these days

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first known case of cholera in the united states.. That said I imagine it's almost rare here since we have water treatment facilities and the such.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Your headline is a lie. Cholera has been in America many times; this is just one.
1866 - 1873 - Outbreaks in North America. It killed some 50,000 Americans. In London, a localized epidemic in the East End claimed 5,596 lives just as London was completing its major sewage and water treatment systems—the East End was not quite complete. William Farr, using the work of John Snow et al. as to contaminated drinking water being the likely source of the disease, relatively quickly identified the East London Water Company as the source of the contaminated water. Quick action prevented further deaths. Also a minor outbreak at Ystalyfera in South Wales. Caused by the local water works using contaminated canal water, it was mainly its workers and their families who suffered, 119 died. In the same year more than 21,000 people died in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. In the 1870s, cholera spread in the US as an epidemic from New Orleans along the Mississippi River and related ports of tributaries, with thousands dying.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
i got the story fro here

hisz.rsoe.hu...

so its them thats got the title wrong

and it doesnot matter if it has been there before

the point is it is there now

top topics

join