It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naked body scanners are KILLING people!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The TSA has gotten out of control with its naked body scanners and "enhanced" body pat downs. People are becoming resentful of being treated as criminals just for the privilege of boarding an airplane to get from one place to another. Many are choosing to opt out of air travel this upcoming holiday weekend and are planning to travel to their relatives homes by land, many of them driving to their destinations.

While the TSA claims it is making those travelers safer from the threat of terrorists in the skies, they are leading those they drive away with their draconian search methods into a much more dangerous travel option. The odds of dying on the road are much greater than the odds of dying in a terrorist attack in the air.

Air travel is safer than driving. Dramatically safer-so much so that the most dangerous part of a typical commercial flight is the drive to the airport.

The safety gap is so large, in fact, that the planes would still be safer than cars even if the threat of terrorism were unimaginably worse than it actually is: An American professor calculated that even if terrorists were hijacking and crashing one passenger jet a week in the United States, a person who took one flight a month for a year would have only a 1 - in - 135,000 chance of being killed in a hijacking - a trivial risk compared to the annual 1 - in - 6,000 odds of being killed in a car crash.

Risk analysts knew all about this safety gap. And They understood what a large-scale shift from planes to cars would mean. If one person gives up the relative safety of flying and drives instead, it's not a big deal. He will almost certainly survive. But, if millions of people take the same risk, it is just as likely that some of them will lose the gamble and their lives.

The Science of Fear: Why We Fear the Things We Shouldn't--and Put Ourselves in Greater Danger

With thousands of people opting out of air travel this holiday weekend, it is likely that they will add to the drivers on the already over-congested roads, adding to the numbers killed on the roads. A study of traffic patterns after the 9-11 attacks showed that 1,595 more people were killed on the roadway during the reduced air traffic patterns caused by the attacks.

The TSA, through it's invasive policies, will drive many would-be air travelers to their deaths on the roads instead. Deaths caused by car crashes don't make the evening news very often and they will probably be dismissed as just common everyday events. Many won't even make the connection between the TSA's policies and the number of people who end up dead on America's roadways.

I wonder how many people will miss spending their holidays with their families because their relatives dies on the roads instead this holiday weekend?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
sorry but this is an extreme way of reasoning. i just went to canada, i stepped into a tube thingee for 3 seconds and was on my way. people need to relax.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The tera hertz waves have been shown to unzip your DNA.
enjoy.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Hey Fort,

What's the source on the article you've posted?

Thanks

Becker

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

I posted a link to the book: The Science of Fear: Why We Fear the Things We Shouldn't--and Put Ourselves in Greater Danger, in the OP.

Sorry, the article isn't on line, I copied it from the book.

ETA: actually, if you click to look inside the book at the link, you can find the part I used on pages 2-3.

edit on 11/18/10 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

The LANL team recently made a chilling discovery, when it found out that THZ radiation had the ability to essentially “unzip” double-stranded DNA, a feat that has massive implications, including the disruption of such processes as gene expression and DNA replication. Both of these are essential to life as we know it. The team argues that the radiation accomplishes its effects by means of tiny, resonant ones that it instills in the DNA molecules. While normal resonance is unable to cause “unzipping,” nonlinear resonances, of the type terahertz radiation creates, can.

news.softpedia.com...

remember the tacoma narrows bridge?
thats what resonance can do.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure these body scanners are just one reason that people will drive instead of fly, there are a myriad of other reasons why someone might decide to drive instead of fly. Blaming it on these body scanners is nothing but an appeal to emotion. Now maybe if you could show that millions of people are going to hit the road this year SOLELY because of these scanners it would be different but I really don't think that's the case.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the scanners and think they're an invasion of privacy but this whole driving thing just isn't a good reason to get rid of them. If anything its a good reason to make cars safer or ban them altogether

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

The LANL team recently made a chilling discovery, when it found out that THZ radiation had the ability to essentially “unzip” double-stranded DNA, a feat that has massive implications, including the disruption of such processes as gene expression and DNA replication. Both of these are essential to life as we know it. The team argues that the radiation accomplishes its effects by means of tiny, resonant ones that it instills in the DNA molecules. While normal resonance is unable to cause “unzipping,” nonlinear resonances, of the type terahertz radiation creates, can.

news.softpedia.com...

[sarcasm] But, the head of the TSA said they are totally safe, they give off less radiation than one would be exposed to during a few minutes of air travel.

You wouldn't question the word of a government official would you? They would never lie to We the taxpayers. [/sarcasm]

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

news.softpedia.com...

Hey Dan, nice to see you back.

(Apologies for going off topic)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
poorly and incorrectly titled post.
sensationalism at its best.
edit on 18-11-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
poorly and incorrectly titled post.
sensationalism at its best.
edit on 18-11-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Sensationalism, yes. I have to disagree with the charge of it being poorly and incorrectly titled though. I see it as putting two and two together and coming up with four; it's just a matter of connecting the dots to see where all of this is leading.

People are becoming fed up with being treated as criminals in order to fly. The convenience of air travel disappears when one is subjected to poking and prodding and threatened with criminal charges if one has the tenacity to complain of the inhumane treatment they have suffered.

Sure, naked body scanners may not be the ONLY reason people are deciding to take to the roads this holiday weekend but, they are the straw that broke the camel's back in the minds of many people. I am hearing more and more that people have sworn off air travel and have resolved to drive wherever they need to go from now on rather than put up with the dehumanizing treatment they expect at the hands of the TSA.

The risks of dying in a car crash are so much greater than ever dying in an air accident or terrorist attack, it is irrational for the authorities to be driving people away from air travel in the name of safety. By saving us from the possibility of a terrorist attack, they have driven many more people than could possibly have been killed in such an attack into takeing a much greater risk with their lives, a risk that in all probabilities WILL result in some deaths this holiday weekend.

I predict that many more people will die on the roads this weekend than will be killed or even threatened by terrorists. The number of people killed on the roadways this weekend will certainly outnumber the number of people killed by the terrorists in the US so far this year. What was the number of people killed by terrorists so far?

Oh yeah, I believe that number is exactly zero.

The war on terrorism is killing American people by the thousands through the law of unintended consequences.

edit on 11/18/10 by FortAnthem because: ETA: I just realised that Thanksgiving isn't until NEXT weekend.

edit on 11/18/10 by FortAnthem because: Let's just pretend that everywhere I said "this weekend", I actually said "next weekend" instead, OK.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Well than you need to take basic math again.

it's more like 2 + X = ?
It's subjective, there is no evidence.

Here's a better headline for you.
PEOPLE COMMIT SUICIDE AFTER REFUSING BODY SCANNERS !
Then in fine print you can toss in (by driving more)
Body scanners aren't forcing people to drive more, it's all still their choice.
How about, people who drive more have a tendency to crash more!

edit on 18-11-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: ...

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Naked body scanners are KILLING people!

Which scanners?

edit on 11/18/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
[sarcasm] But, the head of the TSA said they are totally safe, they give off less radiation than one would be exposed to during a few minutes of air travel.

You wouldn't question the word of a government official would you? They would never lie to We the taxpayers. [/sarcasm]

Yeah, probably they would... but would university professors, scientists and such lie to you?

[think a bit before you answer that]

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem...
>snip<
People are becoming fed up with being treated as criminals in order to fly. The convenience of air travel disappears when one is subjected to poking and prodding and threatened with criminal charges if one has the tenacity to complain of the inhumane treatment they have suffered.

Sure, naked body scanners may not be the ONLY reason people are deciding to take to the roads this holiday weekend but, they are the straw that broke the camel's back in the minds of many people. I am hearing more and more that people have sworn off air travel and have resolved to drive wherever they need to go from now on rather than put up with the dehumanizing treatment they expect at the hands of the TSA.

The risks of dying in a car crash are so much greater than ever dying in an air accident or terrorist attack, it is irrational for the authorities to be driving people away from air travel in the name of safety. By saving us from the possibility of a terrorist attack, they have driven many more people than could possibly have been killed in such an attack into takeing a much greater risk with their lives, a risk that in all probabilities WILL result in some deaths this holiday weekend.

/me laughs.

I don't fly because of two reasons: it's cheaper to drive... and my vehicle is a work vehicle. It's cheaper to drive because after considering the cost of checking in my 5 bags consisting of clothes (1 bag) and tools (4 bags) I'd be paying in excess of 400 on top of the plane ticket... and I can drive from California to Florida on 400 dollars, and take the work truck with me thus saving the cost of renting a vehicle when I get there.

I predict that many more people will die on the roads this weekend than will be killed or even threatened by terrorists. The number of people killed on the roadways this weekend will certainly outnumber the number of people killed by the terrorists in the US so far this year. What was the number of people killed by terrorists so far?

Oh yeah, I believe that number is exactly zero.

Is your prediction limited to the contiguous United States or world wide?
At least have a modicum of specificity in your predictions.

>I snipped the backpeddling<

Why not pick the number of potential people killed by abortion?
Why not pick the number of potential people killed by suicide?
Why pick any number?

... that wouldn't suit your purpose would it?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I think these guys stole my idea.

Analyst: TSA methods 'will kill more Americans on highway'
By Jordy Yager - 11/21/10 09:09 AM ET

The recent public ire toward the TSA’s new pat-down and body imaging screening methods is likely to cause more people to drive automobiles and forego airline travel, say two transportation economists who have studied the issue.

As the nation readies for one of the busiest traveling holidays, Steven Horwitz, a professor of economics at St. Lawrence University, told The Hill that the probable spike in road travel, caused by adverse feelings towards the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) new screening procedures, could also lead to more car-related deaths.

“Driving is much more dangerous than flying, as you are far more likely to be killed in an automobile accident mile-for-mile than you are in an airplane,” said Horwitz. “The result will be that the new TSA procedures will kill more Americans on the highway.”

Clifford Winston, a senior fellow of economic studies at the Brookings Institute, stopped short of saying that more people could die as a result of the TSA policies

The Hill

Makes you wonder if some of those MSM guys aren't trolling ATS for story ideas.

I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem finding an expert somewhere to back up my ideas.

Jerks didn't even give me credit either.

edit on 11/23/10 by FortAnthem because: I wonder which member name Jordy Yager goes by.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Of course,a xray with no radiation blanket?

top topics

join